1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 04-19-2010, 06:20 PM

Full review of RIA compact (NEW)

First off, this is my first post on this forum, and I have to say thanks to everyone on here because I am now the proud owner of my first Rock Island Armory pistol due to the influence of posts I have read on this website.

Before today, I was entirely skeptical of this brand due to their low low prices. I have been looking at a RIA Compact at my local gun store for about a week now and was undecided whether or not I should buy it. I have never even heard of Armscor or Rock Island before last week when I first saw this pistol at the gun store. Long story short, I decided to give it a try, and boy am I glad I did. I bought the RIA compact today and like a giddy school boy I ran to the range to try out my new toy. I want to give a full review of this gun in hopes that anybody who might be just like me where I was yesterday will come to the decision to buy one of these beauties. So, first things first. I went to the range to perform what I call a stress test to see how well the pistol performs and if there is anything that needs to be fixed and/or is malfunctioning. This test includes me trying to make the gun jam, anyway I can think of. So, here is what I did;

I went to the range with the following ammunition:
1 x 50rd box of Blazzer CCI FMJ 230gr
1 x 50rd box of American Eagle 230gr
1 x 50rd box of Wolf-cloggurgun 230gr steel cased rounds
1 x 100rd bag of mixed assorted premium self defense .45ACP rounds (Hydra-shok, Powrball, Corbon DPX, Hornady TAP, Speer Gold-Dot, Remington Gold-saber, and Extreme Shok Deep Penetration rounds)

I used the following Magazines:
2 x Chip McCormick-craptastic 7rd Government model Mags
2 x Kimber Pro-Tac 8rd Government model Mags
1 x Wilson Combat 8rd Government model Mag
1 x ACT 7rd Officer model Mag the pistol came with
1 x Meggar 6rd Officer model Mag

I then proceeded to load and configure each of these mags with alternating loads from FMJ to different sized hollowpoints. This pistol fired all 250rds without one single hiccup or malfunction of any kind. Including the chip mccormick mags loaded with wolf steel cased fmj rounds alternated with +p hollows. Not to mention the fact that all 50rds of the Wolf ammo was used at the end of the test after the gun was already nice and coated with the carbon from the first 200 rounds. Needless to say I was absolutely astonished at the performance of this $400 pistol. Not only did it fire 250 rounds through a stress test within about 30 minutes of nearly non-stop shooting, but it hollowed out the entire center portion of the aluminum board I was shooting from 20 yards away. The board measured 2ft wide by 6ft tall. The accuracy along with the flawless functionality has earned it the right as my new carry weapon for sure. So if there is anyone out there undecided as to whether they should buy one of these, I highly recommend it. I'm trying to figure out how to get the pictures posted, hopefully I will be able to post them shortly.

Anyone else who owns an RIA Compact please post your pics! I'm going to be dressing this one up a bit since it passed my test, would love some ideas.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave09116 View Post
First off, this is my first post on this forum, and I have to say thanks to everyone on here because I am now the proud owner of my first Rock Island Armory pistol due to the influence of posts I have read on this website.

Before today, I was entirely skeptical of this brand due to their low low prices. I have been looking at a RIA Compact at my local gun store for about a week now and was undecided whether or not I should buy it. I have never even heard of Armscor or Rock Island before last week when I first saw this pistol at the gun store. Long story short, I decided to give it a try, and boy am I glad I did. I bought the RIA compact today and like a giddy school boy I ran to the range to try out my new toy. I want to give a full review of this gun in hopes that anybody who might be just like me where I was yesterday will come to the decision to buy one of these beauties. So, first things first. I went to the range to perform what I call a stress test to see how well the pistol performs and if there is anything that needs to be fixed and/or is malfunctioning. This test includes me trying to make the gun jam, anyway I can think of. So, here is what I did;

I went to the range with the following ammunition:
1 x 50rd box of Blazzer CCI FMJ 230gr
1 x 50rd box of American Eagle 230gr
1 x 50rd box of Wolf-cloggurgun 230gr steel cased rounds
1 x 100rd bag of mixed assorted premium self defense .45ACP rounds (Hydra-shok, Powrball, Corbon DPX, Hornady TAP, Speer Gold-Dot, Remington Gold-saber, and Extreme Shok Deep Penetration rounds)

I used the following Magazines:
2 x Chip McCormick-craptastic 7rd Government model Mags
2 x Kimber Pro-Tac 8rd Government model Mags
1 x Wilson Combat 8rd Government model Mag
1 x ACT 7rd Officer model Mag the pistol came with
1 x Meggar 6rd Officer model Mag

I then proceeded to load and configure each of these mags with alternating loads from FMJ to different sized hollowpoints. This pistol fired all 250rds without one single hiccup or malfunction of any kind. Including the chip mccormick mags loaded with wolf steel cased fmj rounds alternated with +p hollows. Not to mention the fact that all 50rds of the Wolf ammo was used at the end of the test after the gun was already nice and coated with the carbon from the first 200 rounds. Needless to say I was absolutely astonished at the performance of this $400 pistol. Not only did it fire 250 rounds through a stress test within about 30 minutes of nearly non-stop shooting, but it hollowed out the entire center portion of the aluminum board I was shooting from 20 yards away. The board measured 2ft wide by 6ft tall. The accuracy along with the flawless functionality has earned it the right as my new carry weapon for sure. So if there is anyone out there undecided as to whether they should buy one of these, I highly recommend it. I'm trying to figure out how to get the pictures posted, hopefully I will be able to post them shortly.

Anyone else who owns an RIA Compact please post your pics! I'm going to be dressing this one up a bit since it passed my test, would love some ideas.
I was thinking of getting some faux ivory grips for my Tactical. Ivory looks really nice but I cant justify spending more than I spent on the gun on a pair of grips. I understand that some of the better faux ivorys take an expert to spot the difference,so it seems like a good option. That would be my suggestion,either a nice wood or something that stands out real nice and is distinctive. (The Houge fake ivory grips BTW look terrible)
Old 04-20-2010, 12:41 AM

i have a citadel compact same gun made by armscor i love carry it everyday!! and welcome to the foroum enjoy yer new blaster!!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:38 PM

Old 04-22-2010, 09:22 AM

Welcome to the brotherhood of the Rock!

My RIA Tactical has been nothing but efficient, no hiccups, etc. I don't have any beautiful grips for her, just some CT Lasergrips that allow me a lot of fun when chasing cans...

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill, paraphrasing Thucydides "History of the Peloponnesian War"
Old 04-22-2010, 11:33 AM

Welcome to the forum Dave09116, enjoy your new compact, waiting for the pictures.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:46 PM

Dave09116, congratulations on your purchase! I have to agree with mallen - the first thing I would do is add a different set of grips. Grips are one of the easiest and less expensive ways to begin personalizing your RIA. I have been eyeballing a set of Andean Alder grips from Esmeralda. That site has some great looking grips for reasonable prices. Enjoy your new toy!

Smile often and shoot straight.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:02 PM

Pics of my Rocks

My GIs

My GIs with my CD

My Black Tactical Rock

The latest one purchased this weekend. The matte nickel Tactical.

Most of the arsenal.
Dragunov
SKS Tactical
CS GI
FS GI
FS Tactical
Taurus PT 92 9mm

Dan Wesson PM7, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, RIA Match 1911 .45, RIA Matte Nickel tactical .45, RIA Parkerized Tactical .45, RIA Parkerized Tactical 9mm, RIA CS GI .45, RIA FS GI .45, RIA Hi Cap .45, XDM 9mm, XDM .45, CZ-SP01 Phantom, Kimber Ultra Carry II .45
Old 04-28-2010, 05:46 AM

Reliability at an affordable price, I love both of mine. A fullsize and a compact.

R.T.

New York Yankees World Champions 2009
Old 04-28-2010, 09:35 AM

Ria cs

MY upgrades all from Fusion 3Dot sights, DD checkered grips,(K) trigger,SS. Torx grip screws and bushings.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:55 PM

welcOME form kyletx

welcome home bro to the land of the RIA
mine a fs 1911a1 she will treat you nice enjoy
Old 05-06-2010, 04:23 PM

As I am picking up my new RIA Compact tomorrow, I was darn pleased to read this review

Once it's been shaken down, it's going to be my primary carry since my Norinco is just a little too long for comfort sometimes.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:48 AM

Location: St. Louis to Fort McClellan to Fort Lewis and stayed in the Evergreen State
Quote:
Originally Posted by timf View Post
i have a citadel compact same gun made by armscor i love carry it everyday!! and welcome to the foroum enjoy yer new blaster!!
Just got one today with no manual, how do you take out the guide rod? I am putting Ergo grips over Pearce finger grooves. I am also going to put a different thumb safety on it and a fiber optic front sight. STI black trigger and a new finish. Still not decided on the finish though
Old 05-09-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMChuc9775 View Post
Just got one today with no manual, how do you take out the guide rod? I am putting Ergo grips over Pearce finger grooves. I am also going to put a different thumb safety on it and a fiber optic front sight. STI black trigger and a new finish. Still not decided on the finish though
Do you like this finish?
Cerakote Ivory slide (white with a Pearl over, the clear finished to give an Ivory look), OD Green frame, polished add-ons, IP Punishers w\SLEX screws, and green fiber optic front sight (Fusion). Will be putting on a polished SS magwell next week, after I see if I like the Pearl grips instead of the IP's.

And here is the Faux Pearl scales I am making a set of grips from. Will embed a set of antique (1910's) Steer Head medallions made from German silver.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:11 AM

Location: St. Louis to Fort McClellan to Fort Lewis and stayed in the Evergreen State
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoBoTech View Post
Do you like this finish?
Cerakote Ivory slide (white with a Pearl over, the clear finished to give an Ivory look), OD Green frame, polished add-ons, IP Punishers w\SLEX screws, and green fiber optic front sight (Fusion). Will be putting on a polished SS magwell next week, after I see if I like the Pearl grips instead of the IP's.

And here is the Faux Pearl scales I am making a set of grips from. Will embed a set of antique (1910's) Steer Head medallions made from German silver.
Wow that is pimped out! That is different, I like different.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:59 AM

Very cool & unique! I'd like it. Let's see your SS magwell next week. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 AM

Issues....HELP!

Hi,

Have an issue with my brand new RIA Compact. I bought it at lunch while at work Friday. While in the office, I loaded a mag and attempted to chamber a round. When I released the lever, the slide moved forward maybe 1/2" and then stopped. The round never chambered so I locked it to the rear, dropped the mag and tried again. This happened over and over until I removed two rounds and then it would chamber very smoothly. I figured this was just a tight mag that needed to break in so I didn't sweat it.

Later that evening, I decided I would try it a few more times and got the same result with a full mag. The one thing that happened differently is that the last time I tried to drop the slide lever and chamber, the gun completely seized up. I was able to get the mag out (barely) but the slide stayed stuck. After checking for debris or any other signs of obvious issues, I used brute strength to get it to move forward. When I say it literally took almost all of my strength to move it I am not exaggerating. Once it broke free, I took it apart and inspected it and added some lube.

At the range today the same failure to feed issues happened and I also got failure to ejects as well. What was interesting is that the shells that would fail to eject had a piece of the shell casing ripped off as if the extractor simply tore it off and the empty casing stayed.

Really not sure what to make of all this. I am a very experienced shooter and have and still do own several 1911's of various makes. I have never had a firearm operate so poorly straight out of the box brand new. I realize that this pistol is only $400 bucks and you get what you pay for but all the reviews I have read said it was reliable and solid out of the box.

Any and all help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 09-26-2011, 01:27 AM

Here's mine about stock other than grips. Wolf 24# recoil spring and factory tuned by the way. It did have a failure to return to battery it went out they paid for everything now it shoots better than me.
Attached Thumbnails
After 30 shots at 20 yards.jpg  
Old 09-26-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave84 View Post
Hi,

Have an issue with my brand new RIA Compact. I bought it at lunch while at work Friday. While in the office, I loaded a mag and attempted to chamber a round. When I released the lever, the slide moved forward maybe 1/2" and then stopped. The round never chambered so I locked it to the rear, dropped the mag and tried again. This happened over and over until I removed two rounds and then it would chamber very smoothly. I figured this was just a tight mag that needed to break in so I didn't sweat it.

Later that evening, I decided I would try it a few more times and got the same result with a full mag. The one thing that happened differently is that the last time I tried to drop the slide lever and chamber, the gun completely seized up. I was able to get the mag out (barely) but the slide stayed stuck. After checking for debris or any other signs of obvious issues, I used brute strength to get it to move forward. When I say it literally took almost all of my strength to move it I am not exaggerating. Once it broke free, I took it apart and inspected it and added some lube.

At the range today the same failure to feed issues happened and I also got failure to ejects as well. What was interesting is that the shells that would fail to eject had a piece of the shell casing ripped off as if the extractor simply tore it off and the empty casing stayed.

Really not sure what to make of all this. I am a very experienced shooter and have and still do own several 1911's of various makes. I have never had a firearm operate so poorly straight out of the box brand new. I realize that this pistol is only $400 bucks and you get what you pay for but all the reviews I have read said it was reliable and solid out of the box.

Any and all help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
First, SuperDave, IMO tacking on a question on a thread over a year old risks your question getting lost.

I am guessing the chamber of your pistol is too tight. Regarding "getting what you pay for" many of us feel that with RIA you get a lot more than you pay for. In your case you got a lifetime warrenty. I guess I would check tha extractor tension and assuming it is good I would send the gun to Nevada or see if the LGS would exchange it for one that works.

My hope is that your problems get resolved entirely to your satisfaction. I have heard of the folks in NE including extra mags and doing a free fluff and buff to offset the inconvenience of sending in the pistol. Good Luck!

Last edited by Jaykellogg; 09-26-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:54 AM

Jay,

I agree with you that everything I had read said these guns have the best bang for your buck so I was really excited to see what I would get out of it which I why I think the let down was fairly high. I understand that things happen in production so as long as they take care of it which I have no doubt they will I won't hold it against RIA.

Didn't mean to sound negative about RIA, just disappointed with my first experience.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:50 AM

You have every right to be disappointed. Just give them a chance to make it right.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:09 PM

SuperDave84, did you buy the gun new from a LGS or did you buy it used from a co-worker?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
but all the reviews I have read said it was reliable and solid out of the box
welcome Dave .

donno about "all" the reviews being so great.
Maybe you're not reading the same things i do??
That being .... the compact has far and away more out of the box hicups than any of the other models

There is also what's known as the "kool-aid" syndrome.
could be any brand/make of 1911 or different platform all together .

Those are the ones that extol virtues over and over of how their flavor of kool-aid is best
You often have to read between the lines to get the whole picture.
For instance, one fellow will tell you he love's RIA so much, he owns 4 or 5 of them
but neglects to mention most of them had to chew thru 500 rnds in the hopes they'd "break in" and finally run right, and/or 2 out of the five were sent back to Nevada for repair or replacement

Then there is also the "new to the platform" guys.
Their exuberance at owning their first 1911 overshadows their experience of what "should" be expected from a new pistol .
Many of them have been convinced by the Kool-Aid Klan that shooting $200 dollars worth of ammo in an effort to make their pistol reliable is needed, normal and quite acceptable

if you don't know, I'm NOT of them .
I'm not imbibed with any flavor of kool-aid and simply "call 'em as i see 'em"

After owning over 2 dozen 1911s from a half dozen different manufactures, consider Rocks to be a "pretty decent" 1911.
However, about a full 1/3rd of them have out of the box hicups .
I'd estimate that appx 1/2 of them do eventually work themselves out with a few hundred rnds down range .
But a significant portion have to go back to the busy crew in Nevada

Fortunately, the Crew does take very good care of the custy .
I think that, and price is the reason many "give them a pass" on their out of the box quality issues .

I have little doubt they'll get you squared away.
Unfortunate as it may be to have new problem pistol, I'm reasonably sure they'll take of your concerns .

..L.T.A.

Last edited by Cappi; 09-27-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:01 PM

Hmmm 1/3. Shoot I have bought 2 s&w and will never buy from them again. At least not in the semi auto flavor. I've also bought a beretta px4 that took a LOT of oil and about 300 round to "break in". But my rock and my glock have been great out of the box. But that's just my opinion.
Kel Tec PF9
Old 09-27-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbaker View Post
Hmmm 1/3. Shoot I have bought 2 s&w and will never buy from them again. At least not in the semi auto flavor. I've also bought a beretta px4 that took a LOT of oil and about 300 round to "break in". But my rock and my glock have been great out of the box. But that's just my opinion.
that's cool Josh.

I've been a RockhEd since Feb '07 and have religiously followed the boards since then

about 1/3 of them have out of the box hic-ups from my informal count.
I even did an informal poll once on the other board ..it supported pretty much what I've observed .

my "opinion" is that Rocks are a pretty decent 1911.
my "observations" suggest appx 1/3 have out of the box hic-ups .
My personal "experience" mirrors my observations too .

of the three Rocks I've owned, one had to be fixed to become reliable .
I had to replace (not adjust) but replace the ext'r

let me ask, if you went over to Glocktalk, or the M&P or XD forums, do think they'd find it common or acceptable to have to "break in" their pistol with several hundred rnds before it's reliable ?
I think you and I both know the answer to that.

so why is it so common for us (1911 guys) to think it's acceptable/normal just cause it's a 1911??
in my "opinion" it's NOT acceptable/normal

nearly all my 1911s ran right, right out of the box.
Only a few didn't ...they didn't need "broke in" , they needed tuned/adjusted or fixed cause something was broke or out of spec

nothing more, nothing less

..l.T.A.