1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 04-17-2010, 05:01 PM

Chiappa 1911-22 Issues / Service

For those of you who currently have a Chiappa 1911-22 or are considering a purchase, I thought I'd share the following experience (both bad and good).

I will start by saying that other than having to file the front sight slightly to get it properly sighted in, my Chiappa had been humming right along for over 4,000 rounds with no issues (purchased it about 4 months ago). During a range trip last week (for no apparent reason), the slide stopped locking back about 50% of the time after the final round was fired (and when it did lock back, it would slam forward as I either removed the empty magazine or as I put in a full one). Upon close inspection, I couldn't see any obvious issues creating the problem so I contacted Chiappa and arranged a time to bring it in for repair (I only live about 15 minutes from their location in Dayton Ohio). Upon inspection, the gunsmith told me that mine was one of the "early models" and that the problem was easily corrected by installing an updated recoil spring plunger & slide stop (which he did as I waited, and in addition lightened the trigger a bit and gave me a new magazine as well ). I tested it a couple of times (seemed to do the trick) so I headed off to the range as usual. As I was working my way through the 3rd magazine, the Chiappa suddenly launched its recoil spring plunger and recoil spring down range . Upon a closer inspection, the portion of the barrel bushing that retains the recoil spring plunger snapped completely off . After calling a cease fire on the line to retrieve my parts , I packed up and headed back to see my new best friends at Chiappa . Once again, he repaired it while I waited and indicated that to the best of his knowledge that this was the 1st time that they had ever seen this issue (It's always great to be first ).

All in all ... while these early problems are a concern and I certainly hope that this is not an every 4,000 round issue (guess I'll know by August), the Chiappa service experience was good and the people I met were all very helpful.

I'm interested to know if anyone else has had any of these problems with their 1911-22?

Last edited by BuckJM53; 04-19-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:56 PM

1911-22

just got mine today .......really like it....it was your posting that i made up my mind to go get 1....thanks scott
Old 04-19-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof791 View Post
just got mine today .......really like it....it was your posting that i made up my mind to go get 1....thanks scott
How is the construction of the pistol? I am looking at them - but none around to actually foundle - (that I have found anyway) - some reviews are great - others bash the metalurgy of the pistol. Your feed back would be helpful to me.
"...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
COTEP Member; CBOB0695
Old 04-20-2010, 08:14 AM

based on what i have read and i've always wanted a .22 cal 1911 i purchased one from davidson's last week. when it arrived i took it home and broke it down and cleaned it. the gun was pretty clean to begin with but i wanted to make sure. here is my first impression without having fired it yet. it has the look and feel of a 1911. fit and finish are ok. the grip safety is non operational, it's just there for looks. the spring is very light compared to a real 1911 but it is only a 22. makes jacking one into the chamber surprisingly easy. i am not sure how well the finish will hold up over time and i'm not sure what metal the slide is but everything semms ok for a new gun. i have not yet been able to shoot this gun but if it works as well as others i have read about on the net and the accuracy is as good as i have read then i will be happy. after all it is a $250 gun and not some custom 1911. i can forgive finish wear on a $250 gun as long as it shoots well. oh, the wooden grips are kinda nice and pretty fancy too
Old 04-20-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof791 View Post
You're welcome ... It's a fun little plinker for the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-lefty View Post
How is the construction of the pistol? I am looking at them - but none around to actually foundle - (that I have found anyway) - some reviews are great - others bash the metalurgy of the pistol. Your feed back would be helpful to me.
Lefty ... other than the issues that I originally posted, the pistol hasn't shown any significant wear in the finish, the rails or in any of the internal mechanisms during the first 4,000+ rounds. Don't know how it will react when I hit 15 - 20,000 rounds, but I intend to find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALEGRIBBLE View Post
after all it is a $250 gun and not some custom 1911. i can forgive finish wear on a $250 gun as long as it shoots well. oh, the wooden grips are kinda nice and pretty fancy too
Dale ... while it's not as accurate as my MKIII512, it is a pretty accurate little pistol for the money and is great to warm up with before you pull out your real 1911s (the grips are very comfortable IMHO)

Last edited by BuckJM53; 04-20-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:16 AM

I just bought a used one for $200 shipped and had a chance to take it to the range this past weekend. I had only one kind of problem that I have never seen or heard of before.
Here's my failure: After firing a round, a new round would chamber but the hammer would no longer be cocked. This would happen 5-10% of the time with 3 different types of high quality/high velocity ammo. Has anybody heard for something like this happening and what could it be. I could just cock the hammer back every time it happens but I rather have it trouble-free.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:25 AM

I though this thread was about a week old but realized it was from 2010 and is over a year old. Opps sorry! But any useful info can just be PM'ed to me. Thanks!