1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Caspian Arms

Old 04-17-2010, 01:17 AM

The Foster Frame

Hey all....
I am not sure if this is the appropriate place for this thread.
I recently ordered a Foster frame for a 1911 build up that I am doing.
I know these are cosmetic blem Caspians, or contract over run Caspians.

Building a semi-custom (from parts) on the 1911 Government Basic with Integral plunger tube. I was going to use a Armscor frame until I realized that Sarco Inc. is very hit and miss. I since canceled my order (as they sent a pistol instead of a frame), and placed an order for a Foster.

I am guessing I made the right choice? Cosmetic blems don't worry me much... I am going to bead blast and re-parkerize this frame anyhow. There is a long list of other parts on the build in the general gun forum....
but I was instantly enamored of Foster once I realized who and what they were. Solid decision, or rash impulse?
Old 04-17-2010, 04:46 AM

My friends and I have each built several pistols on Foster frames- always satisfied.

Go to the Caspian concession at Camp Perry and they're an even better deal.
Distinguished Pistol Shot #1157
Distinguished Revolver #75
Old 04-17-2010, 09:53 AM

foster frame

i have purchased 3, and they are real good.i have always been more concerned with fit and function over cosmetics.the small blems are hardly noticable.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:13 AM

Well, as far as the deal being good... I got a discount for having an FFL

The gun is going to get a Manganese Oxide finish... you probably won't be able to see the blems after that. If it is slightly rough machining or tool marks... if on the inside, you won't see it... if on the outside, it is getting bead blasted, and that might clean it up a little. If not, I suppose I could always smooth the area out before blasting.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:45 PM

I have 2 Foster frames. You will not be disappointed. The Camp Perry deals are pretty good.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:27 PM

One of my very best handguns is a Foster frame 1911. Build it and never look back.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:49 PM

I have built many fine pistols on Foster frames, the ones I had, I couldn't find the blemishes. They are very good frames. You won't regret using one. tolerances and dimensions are spot on.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:48 PM

I hear y'all. I am pleased as punch with the Foster frame. The blemishes are some minor tool marks on the scallops by the trigger area. Makes me wish I had more money...I'd buy more. I parkered the frame... but it didn't turn out quite the way I wanted it.... I have some Semigloss epoxy paint... gonna coat over it You can never have your metal too protected. You won't even see the tool marks when done (could barely see them in the white).

Machining, and dimensions seem excellent. +1 for the guys at Caspian and Foster.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:21 AM

I just built a pistol on a Foster frame, and I was pretty happy with it, there was not even any real blemishes to speak of. I'm going to do my next build on a Remsport frame, so I'll have a better basis of comparison. It was somewhat better machined than the Rock Island frame I got from Sarco for my first build, and it was about as easy to build on. here's a photo of it right before I put it together. notice the lack of finger cutouts, someone missed a step!

Old 04-30-2010, 12:00 PM

Build an M1911 look-a-like out of it! Flat MSH, tiny, TINY sights, long trigger, non-lowered ejection port... could be convincing.

I just painted my frame this morning, as my home park job came out uneven. I was getting paranoid about having a bare metal frame, so I tried to park it without re-blasting it. Finish came out uneven, so I painted over the uneven park job, and now the frame looks a lot better.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoggoth80 View Post
Build an M1911 look-a-like out of it! Flat MSH, tiny, TINY sights, long trigger, non-lowered ejection port... could be convincing.
I guess that would be possible, but the grip cutout is a lot smaller than a stock GI frame. The grips would cover is, so it wouldn't be visible, but I would still know it's there...
Old 04-30-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1acp View Post
I have built many fine pistols on Foster frames, the ones I had, I couldn't find the blemishes. They are very good frames. You won't regret using one. tolerances and dimensions are spot on.
The blems on mine were very easy to find but then again I knew that it was a blem when I bought it
Will be buying another soon
Old 04-30-2010, 11:50 PM

I have got to remember Foster Ind. whenever I get around to finally building a 1911. Those prices are great!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:08 AM

"Those prices are great! "
+1

Even more so if you have a license for a discount!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:34 PM

Hey, does anyone know if these frames will need modification to fit a grip safety? Like an Ed Brown?
Old 05-01-2010, 12:44 PM

You can get it with the .250 radius but a Brown still needs to be blended to the frame.

Dave
Old 05-01-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyballard View Post
I just built a pistol on a Foster frame, and I was pretty happy with it, there was not even any real blemishes to speak of. ... notice the lack of finger cutouts, someone missed a step!
No cutouts indicates that it is a 1911 repo frame, not a 1911A1.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:02 PM

Caspian makes "Classic" frames so its probably one of those, not a forgetful mistake.

http://www.caspianarmsltd.com/index....id=11&Itemid=9
Old 05-01-2010, 05:51 PM

BBBBill and couch - you're both wrong. A repro 1911 frame such as Caspian's classic frame would have the normal grip cutouts, not Caspians modern small cutout profile.

here's a photo of the frame I ordered as shown on Foster's website, you can plainly see it has the cutouts. I maintain it was a factory error, or they just decided not to do the cuts once they determined it was a blemish frame.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

you can also see in the link provided by couch that the Classic receiver has the large GI style grip windows.

Last edited by tracyballard; 05-01-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
BBBBill and couch - you're both wrong. A repro 1911 frame such as Caspian's classic frame would have the normal grip cutouts, not Caspians modern small cutout profile.

here's a photo of the frame I ordered as shown on Foster's website, you can plainly see it has the cutouts. I maintain it was a factory error, or they just decided not to do the cuts once they determined it was a blemish frame.

you can also see in the link provided by couch that the Classic receiver has the large GI style grip windows.
Take another look at both frames and look under the trigger guard. The radius that goes into the grip is way larger like the CLASSIC frame which I linked to. Forgetting to do the A1 style relief doesn't explain how the mill could accidentally cut the rest of the frame like a CLASSIC.

You have a classic frame with a basic grip window cutout. Not a basic without the A1 relief.

Basic

Classic

Your frame

Last edited by couch; 05-01-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:47 PM

perhaps. but either way, it's not a configuration they advertise. It was sold as a Basic, so I guess the subsitution of a Classic with the small grip windows would not be that noticeable. I didn't see that distinction before you pointed it out, although I'm still not sure if it's conclusive.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
couch - you're wrong.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:29 PM

I still have to maintain that you were partially incorrect, it's not a Classic frame if it's got the small grip windows, even if it were intended to be one at some point.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:48 PM

Maybe that is why that particular frame was sold as a blemish to begin with?
I mean, one way or the other, it wasn't machined 100% correct, regardless of what frame it was supposed to be. The scallops don't actually affect the functionality of the frame... so it still passes that need.
Still think it is a good platform, scallops or no. It wouldn't have bothered me either way.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoggoth80 View Post
Maybe that is why that particular frame was sold as a blemish to begin with?
I mean, one way or the other, it wasn't machined 100% correct, regardless of what frame it was supposed to be. The scallops don't actually affect the functionality of the frame... so it still passes that need.
Still think it is a good platform, scallops or no. It wouldn't have bothered me either way.
I don't know, seems like if either of those 2 things were the blemish, they could just go ahead and finish doing either cut. But, as you said, it didn't affect the functionality, it came out OK (with the consideration that this was my first attempt at using gunkote for a finish), shoots pretty good, the trigger has some slop that could be taken out but I probably won't mess with it any time soon.