1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 04-16-2010, 09:30 PM

Dan Wesson RZ-45 Stock or Colt Combat Elite w/ Modifications?

Just trying to decide if there is a clear-cut answer here . . .

Are there any notable pro's or con's one way or the other between getting a Dan Wesson RZ-45 Heritage .45acp and having it pretty much done versus getting a Colt Combat Elite .45acp and likely upgrading a few things? It'd be for a SD/HD & range pistol, and whatever I got I'd shoot as-is for a decent while before having anything done unless it blew up or failed to shoot.

My understanding is the DW's are very high quality and probably closer to where I ultimately want to go, but especially at first the Colt CE will suit me fine and I can upgrade if/when I want over time, and while it is probably a small consideration the Colt has a forged frame & slide as I understand it (vs. a cast frame and I believe forged frame in the RZ-45), and only two more MIM pieces than the RZ-45 (from what I'm told). I'd also plan on buying gently used, which might make both of them within a couple of hundred dollars or so of each other (presuming my tired brain is not miscalculating the math and based on what I've seen on the Web).

Any reason why one should be over the other on my short list?

-Cheers
Old 04-16-2010, 09:37 PM

Check out the Dan Wesson Sub Forum, about the RZ-45.... The answers on there might just surprise you.............

Both guns are Good guns, and can have mods done to them.

It actually depends what you plan to use it for:

1) CCW
2) HD
3) Shooting Competion
4) Hunting
5) All the above.............

Clyde
Old 04-16-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMVET72 View Post
Check out the Dan Wesson Sub Forum, about the RZ-45.... The answers on there might just surprise you.............
Will do.

Quote:
Both guns are Good guns, and can have mods done to them.

It actually depends what you plan to use it for:

1) CCW
2) HD
3) Shooting Competion
4) Hunting
5) All the above.............

Clyde
1 & 2 are the main ones. Maybe 3, but I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, so mainly HD, with CCW if/when Wisconsin ever makes that a viable legal option.

-Cheers
Old 04-16-2010, 10:00 PM

I think either one would do you fine. Flip a coin?

But really i'd go off your budget and what price you can find each of them for. And DW's are really nice...when I held my CBOB for the first time...it was just a match made in heaven. Coming from an SA XD45 it was leaps and bounds better feeling in my hand.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:20 PM

Dan Wesson, most definitely.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:09 PM

I understand the lure of the Colt and all that implies, but even with what little I know about Dan Wession products I think I would pick the DW.

Perhaps you have seen this similar debate:http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=440938

Last edited by Guevera; 04-16-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guevera View Post
I understand the lure of the Colt and all that implies, but even with what little I know about Dan Wession products I think I would pick the DW.

Perhaps you have seen this similar debate:http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=440938
Actually, I hadn't. It doesn't matter tooooo much. I found a Dan Wesson Heritage (I believe it's a 2010 actually, it has the indent (can't think of the right word) rather than the ridge sticking out of it. It was $925 in ~99% or better with no issues according to the seller, has only had 70 rounds through it, was traded in for a CBOB, and looks like new. It seemed like too good of a deal to pass on. I think it's a pretty good deal.

Thanks for the link though. Sounds like either choice would have been pretty good, but I'm happy with mine.

-Cheers
Old 04-18-2010, 05:56 PM

A fellow cheese head

Which part of the state are you from?
The sheep dislike the sheep dog until the coyote arrives.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:16 PM

DW! Normal custom modifications like a perfectly fitted and blended slide to frame are already done on the DW. On the Colt, it'll cost you quite a bit.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidFire101 View Post
A fellow cheese head

Which part of the state are you from?
Oshkosh, it's in the Fox Valley area ~1 hour south of Green Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuHu View Post
DW! Normal custom modifications like a perfectly fitted and blended slide to frame are already done on the DW. On the Colt, it'll cost you quite a bit.
Well, since I have a Dan Wesson RZ-45 coming, I've already taken your great advice. But I appreciate it! I just found a can't-pass-up kind of deal on it, so the decision practically made itself for me.

-Cheers
Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 PM

What kind of upgrades are you talking about on the Combat Elite? I wouldn't think there is a lot of "typical" upgrades you might want with one. The ones I have seen have a pretty good slide to frame fit. I do own a couple of Dan Wessons and think highly of them. It's really just a question of personal choice.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave I View Post
Oshkosh, it's in the Fox Valley area ~1 hour south of Green Bay.

Well, since I have a Dan Wesson RZ-45 coming, I've already taken your great advice. But I appreciate it! I just found a can't-pass-up kind of deal on it, so the decision practically made itself for me.

-Cheers
Very cool. I spend most of my days in Delafield/Oconomowoc, or Menomonee Falls. Do you do any IDPA matches around here?

Oh, and I vote for the DW. Had a CCE, and sold it.
The sheep dislike the sheep dog until the coyote arrives.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidFire101 View Post
Very cool. I spend most of my days in Delafield/Oconomowoc, or Menomonee Falls. Do you do any IDPA matches around here?

Oh, and I vote for the DW. Had a CCE, and sold it.
Cool. I go down that way for work every once in a while.

I don't do IDPA. If I ever get good enough, we'll see. I usually blow up pop cans with my dad, but I think I might get a bit more serious. I've got some decent guns at my disposal, but this will probably be far-and-away my best. We'll see.

-Cheers
Old 04-18-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim View Post
What kind of upgrades are you talking about on the Combat Elite? I wouldn't think there is a lot of "typical" upgrades you might want with one. The ones I have seen have a pretty good slide to frame fit. I do own a couple of Dan Wessons and think highly of them. It's really just a question of personal choice.
For upgrades, I was thinking the sear and disconnector, maybe night sights, then if there was anything over time that seemed specific to my taste. But honestly, not much. Whichever one(s) I got they seem like they would/should be pretty good out of the box, but 1911's are reportedly fairly inclined to need some tweaking which is part of the deal with some of them. So I was thinking if the CCE needed anything to be smoother/more-reliable, it would be the CCE with the difference in money to do anything (if even needed) to tweak it, vs. the DW RZ-45 out of the box (unless it needed any minor tweaking).

The sweet deal on the RZ-45 sort of made up my mind, but I think I'd be happy with either (or eventually both, who knows).

-Cheers