1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 03-22-2010, 06:29 AM

Ultra Carry II extractor tuning

New to 1911's, used ultra carry II (YEA!), know they can be finicky. first 50 rds, one FTF, next 25 rds had 3 failures to extract. Looked for all the sticky's I could, did the extractor tuning as best I could and now have to test. Total rd's down pipe per previous owner is about 600.

Question: is extractor tuning one of those things you just get a feel for after doing it a while?
Is there a sweet spot that you can tell while tuning without firing?
Jizmo3
Old 03-22-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizmo3 View Post
New to 1911's, used ultra carry II (YEA!), know they can be finicky. first 50 rds, one FTF, next 25 rds had 3 failures to extract. Looked for all the sticky's I could, did the extractor tuning as best I could and now have to test. Total rd's down pipe per previous owner is about 600.

Question: is extractor tuning one of those things you just get a feel for after doing it a while?
Is there a sweet spot that you can tell while tuning without firing?
Jizmo3
Some may be good enough to find it with experience, lots of experience, but you shouldn't have to do it so much that you get that good, and you'll never know until you fire it. It's not something considered regular maintenance. It's either right or it's not, and if it's not, once you get it right it should be good to go.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-22-2010, 10:26 AM

Adjusting the extractor is a trial and error procedure until you get the feel for it but even then, it varies from gun to gun. I can "usually" tell by the "resistance" it takes to put it back in the gun but even that fools me sometimes.

Before I used a jig, I bent it and then did a shake test to check it. Then you shoot the gun and see if it works as it should. I find that even with the jig, many extractors come out right on the button while others need a little less bend. It varies a little gun by gun.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Banned

I'd change out the springs before adjusting the extractor. That gun is due for some new ones.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
I'd change out the springs before adjusting the extractor. That gun is due for some new ones.
Apologize for being naive yet, which springs?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:51 AM

He is talking about the recoil springs but for an Ultra, the change out is about 1800 rounds for the outer spring and somewhere around 5000 for the inner spring.

A weak recoil spring could certainly cause the FTF's but it is doubtful it has anything to do with the failures to extract. A weak spring would send the slide back with more force for extraction as opposed to feeding where it would be less force on the forward travel.

I would do a shake test on the extractor to see how it looks.