1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 04-01-2011, 03:46 AM

I too own a DE1911G. I have 750 rounds through it so far and I love it. The trigger pull is light and consistent. It has been very accurate for me. I had a few FTF's and FTE's when I first got it but after a couple hundred rounds I have not had one since. A lot of that was probably due to me limp wristing. I'm not crazy about the magazines that came with it though. Need to upgrade those asap. For the haters, hope you get a chance to shoot one.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf1952 View Post
It's been my experience that the DE1911's come out of the box with a lot of oil and goo all over them. Your gun probably had enough crud in the firing pin channel to "stick" the pin in place, without allowing the spring to rebound it fully. Thus, the stop could conceivably fall out when the slide came back.

I think you've discovered that if you remove the pin and spring, clean out the channel and lightly re-oil those parts for reassembly, I doubt that there'll be another problem. Reverse tension of the firing pin should hold it in place, as with any other 1911. I've had no problems with mine in about 400 rounds, and I haven't given it a good first cleaning yet.
Okay, the issue with the firing pin has gotten worse and now it will not move at all. I had it stuck in the forward "fire" position and needed a hammer to punch it back out. I've removed it and someone on this forum told me it looked like the wrong pin for that gun. Not sure how that happened, but here is a pic of the pin in my 1911. Can someone look at theirs and tell me if it's the same?

Edit:
After posting in the gunsmith/troubleshooting section, I was advised to use emery paper to polish the tip of the firing pin to allow it to move freely into the breech. After doing this, everything seems to be working correctly. Time will tell.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20110402_123321.jpg  

Last edited by Jmoch; 04-03-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoch View Post
Okay, the issue with the firing pin has gotten worse and now it will not move at all. I had it stuck in the forward "fire" position and needed a hammer to punch it back out. I've removed it and someone on this forum told me it looked like the wrong pin for that gun. Not sure how that happened, but here is a pic of the pin in my 1911. Can someone look at theirs and tell me if it's the same?

Edit:
After posting in the gunsmith/troubleshooting section, I was advised to use emery paper to polish the tip of the firing pin to allow it to move freely into the breech. After doing this, everything seems to be working correctly. Time will tell.
I haven't removed my pin to compare, but your pin looks ike a normal '70's style 1911 firing pin to me. Have you checked the firing pin hole in the breechface for a burr that might hold the pin in place, or would otherwise constrict the opening and "grab" the pin as it comes through? Aside from that, the only things that I might imagine would cause a problem such as you describe would be a too weak firing pin spring, allowing the pin to come too far forward into the hole, but I'd also think that that might cause punctured primers.

Inspect the firing pin hole very well and make sure there are no burrs or sharp edges, and use a spray cleaner and wooden pick to make sure the firing pin channel is once again clear of debris and residue. You may also wish to wrap some of that emery paper around the pick and hone the firing pin channel, in case that it has some rough internal edges. Drop the pin into the channel before reassembly and make sure that it moves freely throughout its travel...front to back. There is nothing magical about the way that the firing pin functions, so you should be able to fix it without too much difficulty.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:50 PM

Saw & handled a DE Commander sized 1911 today. Well fit except a sloppy safety. A fly landing on it would disengage it. Same garish billboard rollstamp but no FCS. I don't know how the safety slipped past QC, that is IF they have a QC dept.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:15 PM

Now that Kahr owns Magnum Research you get free membership to the Unification Church with every gun.

Kahr Arms is an American small arms manufacturer founded by Kook Jin "Justin" Moon (son of Unification Church founder Sun Myung Moon), who currently serves as CEO and President. It is owned by the Saeilo Corporation (pronounced say-low), a subsidiary of Tongil Group, a South Korean business group (chaebol) associated with the Unification Church. (“Tongil” is Korean for “unification,” the name of the Unification Church in Korean is “Tongilgyo.”) Tongil's other business lines include: Ginseng and related products, building materials, machine parts including munitions for the South Korean military, pharmaceuticals, tourism, and publishing

Dan Wesson Valor 09 Valor #46 Cotep #184
Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 PM

So far mine has been flawless. Very nice pistol with a great trigger. The only thing I will change on it is the grips panels. And not because I have too, just to add a custom bit to it. Try one out if you can.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:47 PM

Desert Eagle evolved

Newbie here. I have had a couple of posts here but wanted to share a couple of photos of my DE1911. I've added some Esmarelda cocobola grips, a Dan Wesson MSH (snakescales) W/ maggiwell. Also on order are a set of Kimber 3 dot night sights which should be in on Wed....
Attached Thumbnails
desert eagle 248_thumb.jpg  

Last edited by bigpappa; 04-17-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf1952 View Post
I haven't removed my pin to compare, but your pin looks ike a normal '70's style 1911 firing pin to me. Have you checked the firing pin hole in the breechface for a burr that might hold the pin in place, or would otherwise constrict the opening and "grab" the pin as it comes through? Aside from that, the only things that I might imagine would cause a problem such as you describe would be a too weak firing pin spring, allowing the pin to come too far forward into the hole, but I'd also think that that might cause punctured primers.

Inspect the firing pin hole very well and make sure there are no burrs or sharp edges, and use a spray cleaner and wooden pick to make sure the firing pin channel is once again clear of debris and residue. You may also wish to wrap some of that emery paper around the pick and hone the firing pin channel, in case that it has some rough internal edges. Drop the pin into the channel before reassembly and make sure that it moves freely throughout its travel...front to back. There is nothing magical about the way that the firing pin functions, so you should be able to fix it without too much difficulty.
Long story short, called Magnum Research and told them about the issue, without hesitation sent me a pre-paid label to ship it back to them. They repaired it, and shipped it back with-in 3 days all covered under warranty! It will be back tomorrow and they've included a write-up of the work for my records. I haven't had this level of customer service in a long time. Just wanted to share, great gun backed up by great service. Don't find that much anymore.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:41 PM

Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDizzle View Post
From what I understand, that's actually the joint venture that Charles Daly had been working on with an Israeli manufacturer, but then got stabbed in the back when Magnum Research started marketing it... Or something, I can't really remember.
Really? The only thing you know about this weapon is a rumor that you can't remember. Wow thanks for educating all of us.

Truth is you can walk out of damn near any local gun store with a great desert eagle 1911 for a great price. It is quality made and shoots like a dream. I have shot many different 1911s, and the DE 1911 has a better trigger than most.

The only upgrade that should be considered if you are on a budget is the magazines. If you want a great 1911 at a great price buy the DE 1911.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Long story short, called Magnum Research and told them about the issue, without hesitation sent me a pre-paid label to ship it back to them. They repaired it, and shipped it back with-in 3 days all covered under warranty! It will be back tomorrow and they've included a write-up of the work for my records. I haven't had this level of customer service in a long time. Just wanted to share, great gun backed up by great service. Don't find that much anymore.
Jmoch, you did good by cutting to the chase and just letting MR take care of it, which is probably what I should've suggested from the outset. I'm a "hands on" tech type guy, so I like to give things a go myself, if I think that I'm capable. But, sometimes, it's better off to just let someone else do it, especially if it's still under warranty. Exceptions can be made for Taurus products, though. I'm glad that MR took care of you and your gun in such good fashion.

Mr. Awesome, I'm glad that you found this forum and the DE1911, but don't take things too personal. There will always be folks that don't like anything that's not "made in America", or has big lettering on the slide, front cocking serrations, or some sort of political conspiracy wrapped up behind it. That's OK, if that's their bag. For others of us, none of that matters. We just want a fine 1911 at a great price, without all the peripheral crap. As you've discovered, the DE1911 is it.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:23 AM

Desert Eagle 1911

I bought this gun and I loved it from the start! I just put my 500th round and all of a sudden it started jamming over and over. 17 times in a box of 50. I was PISSED!!!! Went home cleaned it and the ejector (not extractor) the ejector fell out. after looking closer, I noticed that it actually BROKE OFF!!! Has this happened to anyone else? Magnum Research sent my a fedex overnight priority label and is on top of it. Thank goodness. what do you guys think?
Old 06-04-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:

Edit:
I would call Magnum Research and have them address that ASAP before I filled anything! could be multiple things happening.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanMan01 View Post
I too own a DE1911G. I have 750 rounds through it so far and I love it. The trigger pull is light and consistent. It has been very accurate for me. I had a few FTF's and FTE's when I first got it but after a couple hundred rounds I have not had one since. A lot of that was probably due to me limp wristing. I'm not crazy about the magazines that came with it though. Need to upgrade those asap. For the haters, hope you get a chance to shoot one.
may I ask why you don't like those act-mags?? I happened to love that particular mag. they are well built and they have great reviews. is it the look or are you having trouble?
Old 06-04-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanMan01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
Now that Kahr owns Magnum Research you get free membership to the Unification Church with every gun.

Kahr Arms is an American small arms manufacturer founded by Kook Jin "Justin" Moon (son of Unification Church founder Sun Myung Moon), who currently serves as CEO and President. It is owned by the Saeilo Corporation (pronounced say-low), a subsidiary of Tongil Group, a South Korean business group (chaebol) associated with the Unification Church. (“Tongil” is Korean for “unification,” the name of the Unification Church in Korean is “Tongilgyo.”) Tongil's other business lines include: Ginseng and related products, building materials, machine parts including munitions for the South Korean military, pharmaceuticals, tourism, and publishing
Dude!! are you serious or just joking? lol That's the craziest thing i've ever heard. that's totally wacked if its true... I will have to research that
Old 06-17-2011, 11:33 PM

Desert Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
Maybe all you people that have not seen, handled or even shot a MRI 1911G ought to do yourselves and the rest of us a favor. Before runnin' off at the mouth about something you know absolutely nothing about, at least look at one, handle it, and if you can, shoot one, then give us an opinion instead of being an armchair expert.
I just purchased one yesterday. Took it to the range today and ran about 100 rounds or so of mixed FMJ and JHP from various manufacturers without a hiccup. Build quality is on a par with Springfield and some others. Just because it is lower priced than a Kimber or Springfield doesn't mean it's no good.
It's made in Israel by BUL, same people that make the Charles Daly 1911. Mine runs real good. Mags on mine are from Act-Mag in Italy.
Amen brother! I am anxiously waiting to buy one. Do not badmouth something
you know nothing about.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:40 PM

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk-sigman View Post
That has to be one of the UGLIEST 1911's ever made Not only is the lettering on the slide HUGE but it is also milled in very deeply so it can't be bead blasted off!!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I think it is one of the sexiest
1911's on the market! How old are you?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:46 PM

Out shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharbolt View Post
I did the same thing, except I was the friend and my friendly local gun dealer was you. 2000 rounds of mixed fmj jhp and hollow points later and my de1911 w/a serial under 0000100 is still outshooting my kimber ultra carry and my colt 1911a1
Man I love the sound of that! Now this man is truly speaking from experience. It
just boosted my desire to buy one. Anyone have $700 bucks laying around? LOL
Old 06-17-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterchris View Post
Larry...funny you mention the "huge rollmark"...I was bactually considering filling mine with red or gold paint, just to enhance it even more. Heck, it's my pistol, I like it, and that way people never have to ask what kind it is!!
When I get mine I will start with white crayon, easily removed and looks great!
Old 06-18-2011, 12:12 AM

[QUOTE=bigpappa;3207347 Also on order are a set of Kimber 3 dot night sights which should be in on Wed....[/QUOTE]

BigPappa--Did you get your sights and put them on the gun OK? Can you tell me the model number? I received my DE 1911G today (and put 150 rounds through it, love it) and want to put on the night sights as soon as possible, but I'm not sure which ones to get.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 06-20-2011, 09:19 AM

Sights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
BigPappa--Did you get your sights and put them on the gun OK? Can you tell me the model number? I received my DE 1911G today (and put 150 rounds through it, love it) and want to put on the night sights as soon as possible, but I'm not sure which ones to get.

Thanks,
Joe
I called Mag Research and they said the sight cut matches with a Kimber Custom 2. So I called Meprolight and got a set of night sights for $96.00 shipped. They work GREAT!! PS-be careful, the front sight is pinned-don't just try to knock it out!
Old 06-20-2011, 10:27 AM

Perfect, thanks. So the front sight is pinned, that explains why I couldn't find an Allen wrench small enough to fit the "set screw".

Will order today. I put another 200 rounds through the gun on Sunday. Absolutely wonderful 1911 for the money.

Joe
Old 06-20-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikdraw View Post
Here, here DonM.......best thread on it yet. I was wondering about this pistol myself. I just happened to see it for the first time today as I am in the market for a 1911. I have been looking at R1, GI Expert, and PT1911, and NOW, the MRI 1911 is looking pretty darn good price wise. I would like to know if more people have shot them, and specifically how well it does shoot. By rep, MGI is extremely good in all aspects of the market so I would think this 1911 would be no different, but as you said DonM; Armchair experts can only opinionize. (i made that word up!)
You would not go wrong with either of those mentioned as I have researched
them all. Just handled a Remington yesterday and noticed it did not have a
polished feed ramp. Taurus PT1911's are great! enough said. I recently bought
a Rock Island 1911 (higher end model) and after shooting it I got hooked on 1911's. As for the DE 1911 I am placing my order for one today. As someone else mentioned the reviews are 99% positive. The gun to me is just about the best looking on the market, the finish is excellent and I really am not concerned who imports them, the fact that they are made in Israel is enough for me. (Im not Jewish) but I do have alot of respect for that country. The
fact that they have a life time warranty doesn't hurt either.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 PM

Great Review/Competition

Here is a great review on the Desert Eagle 1911.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...e-1911G-.45SCP

Has anyone used the DE1911 in production competitions? I am thinking about giving it a shot in a couple weeks.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:27 AM

Love this Gun!

Just got my DE 1911G yesterday. If it shoots as good as it looks I will be a happy man. I cycled 1 mag thru it to check for ftf and fired 1 primed shell and all went well. Just curious, has anyone experienced any problems with the slide release unit? I am thinking of replacing it with a Wilson combat extended release
unit, And will I be able to replace it myself without any tinkering?
Old 06-25-2011, 12:57 PM

I put a Wilson Combat slide stop in mine this morning and tested it with a 100 rounds at the range at sunup. Works perfectly with the original mags and with the Chip McCormick mags. Removed from package, cleaned, drop of oil on the shaft, install. No filing, nothing.

I'd be interested in hearing if you have any slide locks before an empty magazine with the stock slide stop. That is what happened on mine, but rarely.

Joe