1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 03-09-2010, 09:03 PM

My First Kimber: Team Match II, Range Report

My first Kimber and my third 1911 as I search for one that I can be happy with in the long term. This Team Match II was a birthday present to myself. I looked at the Springfields and I looked at Colts but all in all this is the pistol that pretty much offers me everything I want, and just as importantly nothing I don't. After some slide-racking and dry firing, I was totally smitten.

Here's how she looks out of the box...

Port side:

And starboard:

How does she shoot? Well out of the box this piece was the driest I've ever seen. I'd heard rumor that Kimbers shipped with little or no oil on them, now I believe it...

Hauled a target out to 15 yards to start things off. I'm shooting offhand using the only factory ammo the range has on hand that day, Blazer FMJ's with those accursed aluminum cases (ugh!) ... I'm preparing for the inevitable FTE's and stovepipes at this point <sigh> ...

First ten rounds out my hand at 15 yards:

Ahhhh... Starting to get the feel of it now. I did heel that one shot though. Arrrgh!!

Nooow we're getting down to business this Kimber and I...

All in all I shot 200 rounds of that blast aluminum-cased Blazer ammo using Chip McCormick 8-round Power Mags and this dry-as-a-bone pistol chewed through every one of them without a single issue. It ran like silk, like buttah I tells ya! Color me impressed and very, very happy. The only thing I'm not so happy about are those grips. Those have got to go.

What to do?!!

My solution was to dress up my newest rosco in some outstanding fiddleback maple (courtsey of Adam Brown Custom Grips):

These pictures can't adequately convey the depth this maple really has; it's mesmerizing in person.

I was a little worried after putting down a hefty deposit on this pistol. It seemed like no sooner had I written the check than the forums were flooded with people griping about their Kimbers. All I can say is this one's a keeper. I think I've found the 1911 I can be happy with over the long haul.

Last edited by Horoscope Fish; 03-09-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:11 PM

Atta boy! nice shooting, and i agree with the grips, a change was needed.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:16 PM

Nice Shootn' and classy grips!!
Selling Central Florida "by the yard"
Old 03-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Banned

Very nice looking gun.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:27 PM

My Team Match is one of my favorite guns. It is amazing, that you do not hear more about it. Out of the box I had a problem or two, sent it back to Kimber. It came back in 10 days and it runs like a champ, and is more accurate than my Baer PII, and DW Valor.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:32 PM

Great post Horoscope Fish . Congratulations on the new piece!
NRA Endowment Member:Wilson Classic SG x2,Tactical SG 9mm Barron Blue, Tactical Elite 45acp, Tactical Elite 45acp(Barron Blue), Wilson CQB Elite 45acp x3, CQB Elite 9mm x2, Wilson CQB Compact 9mm and 45acp, Wilson Stealth 9mm x2, Stealth 45acp, Ed Brown Special Force SS and Carry SS, Ed Brown Kobra and Kobra Carry SS, Kimber SS Raptor II, Caesar Guerini Apex Trap...
Old 03-15-2010, 09:39 AM

Nice looking pistol, and good grouping. I really enjoy shooting my Team Match II also.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:57 AM

I deeply regret selling mine. It was every bit the shooter as yours. I used mine for IPSC and loved it.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:08 PM

Congrats on the Team Match II.....GREAT piece!
Some pretty decent shootin' too....!!
Re: the internet "doomsday prophets"....I did the same thing when I bought my Custom II Target; made the purchase....THEN started reading about "all" the "bad" Kimbers...Not mine!!! 100% reliable out-of-box...trigger like butter-on-silk!!
Oh, yeah.....my CTII was bone-dry when I field-stripped it the first time....guess that's why they put that big placard about OILING "....MORE is NOT BETTER...!) in the box!!!! Like the old Bryllcreme ads: "A little dab'll do ya!"
Good luck with your new B'day present!!
Now.....time to be thinking about which Kimber for NEXT year's gift...?!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:36 PM

Those grips sure made a world of difference! I'm glad that you're happy with them.

If you wouldn't mind sending me some of those pictures and I'll post them on my website. PM me if you don't still have my email.

Find Us On Facebook!
Class 01 FFL Dealer
Old 03-24-2010, 10:11 PM

Horoscope Fish,

Here's some good news; fast forward 13+ years later. Here's my very early Classic Custom. The only mechanical modification I have ever done is to install an oversized match barrel bushing. This one has thousands of rounds through it. I shot it last weekend and managed a 5 shot group of 1.25" from a rest @ 25 yards. man, I LOVE this thing!!!!! This a target from last year. Great shooting on your part.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:56 PM

That is one great report.

I'm hopeful that will be my next Kimber. The *want* factor is VERY high.

N