1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 03-05-2010, 09:37 PM

How do you calculate sight height?

RIA 5" with gov't sights.

They have been replaced with a Millet MK I rear, and a MGW stake-on front.

I did not measure the stock front height (can someone help?), but it wasn't much. Gun shot pretty much POA with a 6 o'clock hold, haven't fired new sights yet.

The old rear measures .250 tall, .187, base to bottom of notch.

New Millet rear measures .340 tall, .236, base to bottom of notch.

New staked MGW front measures .196 tall.

Can it be figured where I am with the new setup?
Old 03-05-2010, 10:23 PM

You should be hitting high. 0.340 rear and 0.196 front gives you 0.144 diff in height. Without lowering( adjusting the rear sight) you will have to raise(tip up) the front sight to get it to match the rear.

I'm assuming the front sight height is from the top of the slide to the top of the sight. The 0.236 height to the bottom of the rear notch won't come into play. It's the top heights of the front and rear. Same goes for the rear as far as the 0.340 height.Measurement is 0.340 from top of slide to top of rear sight.

If you can't lower the rear sight you might have to go with a higher front sight. Can't really tell you as I can't see your setup and I'm not familiar with that type of sight.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I'm assuming the front sight height is from the top of the slide to the top of the sight.
Correct.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhast View Post
Correct.
duhast, can the rear sight be lowered any? 0.144 is a big difference and if you can't lower the rear you'll hit high at POA. Like I mentioned... might have to get a higher front sight.I could be all wet here so best to just go out and see how she hits.Make sure you get a bit of distance like 25 to 30 ft or so and shoot at a big target board with a sticky target or just use a marker and draw a big dot to see if you're even close.Not to close like 10 ft and not to far like 75 ft.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco.38 View Post
duhast, can the rear sight be lowered any? 0.144 is a big difference and if you can't lower the rear you'll hit high at POA. Like I mentioned... might have to get a higher front sight.I could be all wet here so best to just go out and see how she hits.Make sure you get a bit of distance like 25 to 30 ft or so and shoot at a big target board with a sticky target or just use a marker and draw a big dot to see if you're even close.Not to close like 10 ft and not to far like 75 ft.

OK. I left it to the smith to figure out, he told me which front to order.

So....the top of the front and the top of the rear should be within what, .005 -.010?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:08 PM

And I'm re-measuring.....

Front is .195 from top of slide to top of sight.

Rear is .230 from top of slide to top of sight.

So rear is .030 taller than front.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:21 PM

That's a lot better and will make quite a difference. If your rear sight is adjustable get close with the front as far as height and it should be OK.