1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 03-05-2010, 01:06 AM

What magazine brand is best for RIA 1911??

Hey

I just got my RIA G.I model 1911 this week! Going to the range late night tomorrow a buddy of mines was so happy I got a 1911 he gave me xtra mags. 5 Colts 7rd and 1 promag 10rd.....All lock back the slide while empty except for the promag.....however when I put a few rds of snapcaps "dummy ammo" and eject them all manually after the last rd it does lock the slide back!! Just asking what do you veteran Rock Island owners use???? Any suggestions.....
Old 03-05-2010, 01:29 AM

My RIA GI hates GI mags, to include the 7 rounder that came with it.

It functions perfectly with Wilson 47Ds and Chip McCormick magazines.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:41 AM

The Pro Mag should only be used for range use they are garbage.

I love the Chip McCormicks
Old 03-05-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PentaGun1911 View Post
Hey

I just got my RIA G.I model 1911 this week! Going to the range late night tomorrow a buddy of mines was so happy I got a 1911 he gave me xtra mags. 5 Colts 7rd and 1 promag 10rd.....All lock back the slide while empty except for the promag.....however when I put a few rds of snapcaps "dummy ammo" and eject them all manually after the last rd it does lock the slide back!! Just asking what do you veteran Rock Island owners use???? Any suggestions.....
Welcome to the forum PentaGun1911, go shoot the gun see what happens,the mags. may be well worn, may need new springs Like said go try them keep us posted.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGHT AL View Post
Welcome to the forum PentaGun1911, go shoot the gun see what happens,the mags. may be well worn, may need new springs Like said go try them keep us posted.
Ok I will keep u guys posted on the out come! Today the range open late 4p.m till 12a.m....I will make it around 8pm to post my results...Im really excited and hoping all goes well...READY 2 ROCK THIS ROCK ISLAND
Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 PM

My RIA GI will eat out of the Chip McCormick's, but they don't like to drop free. For whatever reason it also likes Novak/Actmags and they do drop free.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAcheson View Post
My RIA GI will eat out of the Chip McCormick's, but they don't like to drop free. For whatever reason it also likes Novak/Actmags and they do drop free.
I just left the range.......Great news!!! All 7 mags fed great but only the Mag-gear which came with the 1911 left the slide open after last round!!! Other than that it works fine! I shot 90 rds and no lock ups...I'm actually impress being it is a new firearm. My brother has a chrome plated he did have a problem with his Novak mag, so I gave him a colt it worked fine....but his 1911 is going through the break in period! He was a bit upset but all guns have that break in point. ROCK On ROCK ISLAND!!! lol
Old 03-06-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
I just left the range.......Great news!!! All 7 mags fed great but only the Mag-gear which came with the 1911 left the slide open after last round!!! Other than that it works fine! I shot 90 rds and no lock ups...I'm actually impress being it is a new firearm. My brother has a chrome plated he did have a problem with his Novak mag, so I gave him a colt it worked fine....but his 1911 is going through the break in period! He was a bit upset but all guns have that break in point. ROCK On ROCK ISLAND!!! lol
Did you buy the pistol new? I don't think that the Meg-Ar is the factory mag. that came with the gun,it should be a Novac or a Act mag. unless they changed suppliers.the good new's is you can fix the others to lock your slide open.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Did you buy the pistol new? I don't think that the Meg-Ar is the factory mag. that came with the gun,it should be a Novac or a Act mag. unless they changed suppliers.the good new's is you can fix the others to lock your slide open.
LOL!!!!! Thank for the corrections it is Meg-ar, Yeah it came new in box in plastic with **** load of oil on it lol....I guess maybe they did change suppliers...PLease tell me the solution to fixing these mags....I would love for them to stay open after last round.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:13 AM

Its Mec-Gar, and there are the best mag made! I have used them for years in all my 1911's and CZ pistols, I have yet to have one fail to feed.
Mec-Gar is the standard mag for many well known firearms companies. Rock Island however uses Novak/ACT as there factory mag

Mec-Gar stands behind there mags 100%, years ago I had one break, so I called them up and told them the problem, I was informed that it was due to the temper of the mag and to mail it back to them for replacement. So I did, I mailed them 1 bad mag, they mailed me 2 with a letter of apology.

Now that is standing behind a product!

10 years later, I still have Mec-Gar mags in my carry gun........NO PROBLEMS!

http://www.mec-gar.com/
http://www.mec-gar.com/company.html

Last edited by RjSixgun; 03-06-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
LOL!!!!! Thank for the corrections it is Meg-ar, Yeah it came new in box in plastic with **** load of oil on it lol....I guess maybe they did change suppliers...PLease tell me the solution to fixing these mags....I would love for them to stay open after last round.
I guess we were both wrong,I wasn't paying attention when I typed that, I also see that I spelled Novak wrong my bad......thanks, RjSixgun, we will have to ask Auto Mag about the change in mags. I have read different posts on how to fix mags,one way is to take a punch on the right side place a dimple on the metal so the follower hits it coming up to the last round and forces it to the left to lock the slide back, the other way is to buy new followers, talk to some others I have had no hands on experience with this.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:19 PM

mags

if the chip mc cormick are a bit pricey, try novak, they work great and reasonably priced.

regards,

Maj Den
Old 03-06-2010, 10:51 PM

I've got a heavily customized RIA GI (all work done by Rock Island/Armscor gunsmithing wiz Arnel Bernardo).

The Novak 8rd mag that came with the pistol has run flawlessly, as well as a Tripp Research 8rd Cobra II mag.

I've also got a 7rd Tripp Research mag that has given me problems, as well as a Metalform 10rd mag that commonly gives me trouble.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
I guess we were both wrong,I wasn't paying attention when I typed that, I also see that I spelled Novak wrong my bad......thanks, RjSixgun, we will have to ask Auto Mag about the change in mags. I have read different posts on how to fix mags,one way is to take a punch on the right side place a dimple on the metal so the follower hits it coming up to the last round and forces it to the left to lock the slide back, the other way is to buy new followers, talk to some others I have had no hands on experience with this.
LOL! yeah I took a 2nd look we both got it wrong! I am quite satisfied with the mags I have being that all feed properly. I may buy extra mags from Meg-ar or wateva and Chip McCormick because those keeps my slide open!! I want to thank everyone who replied this forum really makes me happy with my purchase.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:19 AM

Quote:
LOL! yeah I took a 2nd look we both got it wrong! I am quite satisfied with the mags I have being that all feed properly. I may buy extra mags from Meg-ar or wateva and Chip McCormick because those keeps my slide open!! I want to thank everyone who replied this forum really makes me happy with my purchase.
They all should keep your slide open, I have 13 Act made mags. they have different names, but all work as they should.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:06 AM

ACT 8 rd mag

Hey all,

I have a RIA Compact .45 that came with a ACT 8 rd mag. The problem is that it consistently fails to feed the 1st round once the mag in inserted. I bought a 6 rd mag at a gun show and it has never failed. Sometimes when the 8 rd does feed, it fires a few rds and then fails again.

I tried this same mag in a friends full size Colt and it did the same thing with his. It looks like the bullet is not pointed up towards the feed ramp when it is inserted and I open slide to see once it locks up.

Any ideas?
Old 03-07-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbbus View Post
Hey all,

I have a RIA Compact .45 that came with a ACT 8 rd mag. The problem is that it consistently fails to feed the 1st round once the mag in inserted. I bought a 6 rd mag at a gun show and it has never failed. Sometimes when the 8 rd does feed, it fires a few rds and then fails again.

I tried this same mag in a friends full size Colt and it did the same thing with his. It looks like the bullet is not pointed up towards the feed ramp when it is inserted and I open slide to see once it locks up.

Any ideas?
Did you buy the pistol new? it should have a 7round from the factory, the 8 round mag. sticks out 3/4 of a inch,,if it is not working right call Advanced Tactical ask for Ivan or Arnel 1-775-537-1444 they will take care of you.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Did you buy the pistol new? it should have a 7round from the factory, the 8 round mag. sticks out 3/4 of a inch,,if it is not working right call Advanced Tactical ask for Ivan or Arnel 1-775-537-1444 they will take care of you.

Yes, the gun was bought new. It only came with the 8 round mag. I bought a 7 round yesterday but have not had a chance to use it yet. I was surprised to see it came with the 8 rd mag that does stick out by about the thickness of 1 rd. Thanks for the name and phone number.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:36 PM

Im sorry guys, I ment no offence, but it is Mec-Gar, but if your a pirate then yes it would be Mec-AR, or possibly Mec-ARRRR! Mate!

Pirate or not they do make really good mags!
Old 03-07-2010, 05:51 PM

I've used both the cheaper CMCs (shooting star? I forget) and Tripp Cobra 7rounders. Neither have given me any issues (except dropping free, I had to bang on a couple of the CMCs in certain spots to get them dropping free)

A58581 / A28264

Last edited by RobMoore; 03-07-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjSixgun View Post
Im sorry guys, I ment no offence, but it is Mec-Gar, but if your a pirate then yes it would be Mec-AR, or possibly Mec-ARRRR! Mate!

No offence taken, I have seen it and typed it before, I seem to forget to think sometimes,
Old 03-08-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjSixgun View Post

LOL!! Everything fine....I didnt catch any emotions...Hey after all I'm new with RIA I'm open to any corrections or advice you all have to offer!!
Old 03-08-2010, 04:31 PM

I use CMC power mags and have never had a problem. A good bit less expensive than Wilson's
Old 03-08-2010, 09:16 PM

+1 on the mec-gars. Inexpensive and rock solid reliable in my experience. They're no frills, but they just work. It's hard to argue with that.

My RIA didn't like the CMC shooting stars...It'd lock back before the mag was empty. I stick with mec-gars and no problems.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:47 PM

Mine came with an ACT mag,and I had problems occasionally with hollowpoints jamming in the magazine. I also had a problem with a round actually poppling out of the magazine. I bought a Wilson (was suggested by the instructor at the CCW class) and it works great so far,although I havent ran many rounds through it yet. The hp problem seems to be gone though. Ive had enough problems with the ACT magazine that Im going to see if they will fix/replace it under warrenty though.