1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 03-02-2010, 07:47 PM

New Colt 1911 WWI 1918 reproduction

Howdy,

Yesterday, I picked up this new Colt 1911 WWI 1918 reproduction from my FFL. It was shipped two days prior from our good friends at Top Gun Supply. Thanks Tom!

Ever since I was bit by the 1911 bug, I've had a yearning for an older, "classic" 1911, and this seemed like the way to go. After a thorough cleaning and oil change, I'm guessing the fit and finish are probably about what it was 92 years ago. The slide to frame fit is tighter than I expected for a $1k 1911, but the trigger is awful at about a 12 pounds.

Before ordering this pistol, I had been discussing the topic with some 1911 aficionados in using this as a donor gun and focusing primarily only on reliability, trigger action, and dressing up the roll markings.

When the snow melts and the weather warms up, it's off to the range to measure accuracy and gauge satisfaction quotient. In the meantime, I invite comments and suggestions.

Cheers!

Last edited by Cobra64; 03-13-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Excellent picture taking. You're discovering what a lot of us already knew, that this was one of Colt's better ideas of late. Hopefully they'll keep going with the "retro" line and surprise us with something else in the next couple of years.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Excellent picture taking. You're discovering what a lot of us already knew, that this was one of Colt's better ideas of late. Hopefully they'll keep going with the "retro" line and surprise us with something else in the next couple of years.
Thanks. I was concerned about the quality, but based on what I've seen, it's adequate at this price level. Since I've not shot it yet, the jury is still out as for reliability and accuracy.
Performance Center Doug Koenig .38 Super, Dan Wesson custom bobtailed Valor, S&W 1911 108284, Colt 1911 WWI 1918 reproduction, Colt Woodsman, Browning Challenger, Sig P220ST, Sig P226ST, Sig P229ST, Sig P239TT, Sig P232SL, Sig SP2022, HK P2000, Ruger Bisley Vaquero .357, Ruger Blackhawk .357
Old 03-02-2010, 09:02 PM

what do you mean by "dressing up the rollmarks"
Old 03-02-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conhntr View Post

what do you mean by "dressing up the rollmarks"

[img][/img]

Last edited by Cobra64; 03-12-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:40 PM

I really like it. I have also been toying with the idea of getting an older WWI or WWII 1911 and that one may just have the best of both worlds. I will be definately looking at these. Great looking gun.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckchili View Post

I really like it. I have also been toying with the idea of getting an older WWI or WWII 1911 and that one may just have the best of both worlds. I will be definately looking at these. Great looking gun.
Thanks Chuck. I figured as nice as the modern 1911s are, I wanted some nostalgia in my 1911 collection.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckchili View Post
You had better hurry then, because I believe Colt has stopped production on these.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Banned

It would probably be in their best interest to continue to make them.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
You had better hurry then, because I believe Colt has stopped production on these.
My understanding is that November 2009 was the last production date, and that there are no plans to raise the limit beyond 4,000.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casp1911 View Post
It would probably be in their best interest to continue to make them.
Then it would not be a "limited edition."
Old 03-03-2010, 01:06 PM

The only new production Colt WWI models you will see in the near future will be a handful of Presentation Grades.

Right now they have started production of WWI presentation grades in bright nickel finish.

Regards,

Javi
Old 03-03-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javichin colt View Post
The only new production Colt WWI models you will see in the near future will be a handful of Presentation Grades.

Right now they have started production of WWI presentation grades in bright nickel finish.

Regards,

Javi
I'd like to see one of those. Pictures??
Old 03-03-2010, 01:42 PM

As may have been stated elsewhere . . .

Nice Choice.

I think you will be quite surprised by the accuracy of this pistol. I have one of these in Carbonia Blue, and it happens to be the most accurate of all of my 1911's past and present. I managed to put 2 rounds touching in the 5 ring (center mass) of our qual target at 25 yards just using the crappy little sights. This pistol performed better than my tuned TRP, XSE Combat Commander and a couple of other 1911's all of which I have sold.

I think it would make a nice project as a donor pistol. I really love the look of the Yost retro package.

Let us know what you think when you shoot it.

Be Safe.

Andy
Old 03-05-2010, 08:09 AM

Nice pistol. It looks like you got a good one.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy4731 View Post
I think you will be quite surprised by the accuracy of this pistol. I have one of these in Carbonia Blue, and it happens to be the most accurate of all of my 1911's past and present. I managed to put 2 rounds touching in the 5 ring (center mass) of our qual target at 25 yards just using the crappy little sights. This pistol performed better than my tuned TRP, XSE Combat Commander and a couple of other 1911's all of which I have sold.
I have only shot mine once, as I've been agonizing over whether to make a shooter out of it or keep it pristine. But this target I shot at 15 yards offhand makes it really hard to decide.....

Last edited by dsk; 09-18-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:47 PM

you say yours has a terrible trigger?

I would send it back to colt then. Mine has a sweet trigger, it can't be more than 5 pounds, and it is clean.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH Holliday View Post

I would send it back to colt then. Mine has a sweet trigger, it can't be more than 5 pounds, and it is clean.
I shot about 200 rounds at the range in the last few days. In between range trips I've been dry firing it, and the trigger is getting better. It's donw around 5-6 pounds. I'm spoiled I guess with my Valor and Performance Center.

As for the roll marks, I called Colt today and they said to send the slide back to them and they'll polish the roll marks smooth and refinish for $150-$200.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra64 View Post
I shot about 200 rounds at the range in the last few days. In between range trips I've been dry firing it, and the trigger is getting better. It's donw around 5-6 pounds. I'm spoiled I guess with my Valor and Performance Center.

As for the roll marks, I called Colt today and they said to send the slide back to them and they'll polish the roll marks smooth and refinish for $150-$200.
Yes, that would be the difference between what they do and what you think they should do.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:42 AM
Administrator

It's a shame the original poster's pics have been pulled down already, because they were very nice. Sorta takes the wind out of this thread.

Regarding the rollmarks, while I agree Colt should've sanded them down correctly like on the originals, to do so now would be ruining whatever value the pistol may have in the future as collectible.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
It's a shame the original poster's pics have been pulled down already, because they were very nice. Sorta takes the wind out of this thread.

Regarding the rollmarks, while I agree Colt should've sanded them down correctly like on the originals, to do so now would be ruining whatever value the pistol may have in the future as collectible.
Sorry about that! I deleted the first photos. I just posted pics after 200 rounds down range, and forgot to re-post. Better ones are up now.

Yesterday I asked Colt why they would polish and finish before rollmarking. Their response was, "that's the way we do it. Send it back and we'll do it the way you want for a fee."
Performance Center Doug Koenig .38 Super, Dan Wesson custom bobtailed Valor, S&W 1911 108284, Colt 1911 WWI 1918 reproduction, Colt Woodsman, Browning Challenger, Sig P220ST, Sig P226ST, Sig P229ST, Sig P239TT, Sig P232SL, Sig SP2022, HK P2000, Ruger Bisley Vaquero .357, Ruger Blackhawk .357

Last edited by Cobra64; 03-13-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:19 AM

I have not shot my 1918 yet and I also have a series 70 that is unfired. I will get to the range soon. Anyway the 1918 is very nice with a 5 lb trigger and tight slide to frame fit.

As for the little sights, I have decided to leave both pistols in stock form and shoot them. I grew up with 1911's and A1's. There good to go the way they are as far as I'm concerned. Dont get me wrong I have my Les Baer for steel and IDPA, it's just that I enjoy the feeling of an original (repo now) Colt.

Allen

Last edited by Kid Holmes Sr; 03-13-2010 at 01:21 AM. Reason: SP
Old 03-13-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Holmes Sr View Post
I have not shot my 1918 yet and I also have a series 70 that is unfired. I will get to the range soon. Anyway the 1918 is very nice with a 5 lb trigger and tight slide to frame fit.

As for the little sights, I have decided to leave both pistols in stock form and shoot them. I grew up with 1911's and A1's. There good to go the way they are as far as I'm concerned. Dont get me wrong I have my Les Baer for steel and IDPA, it's just that I enjoy the feeling of an original (repo now) Colt.

Allen
Thanks, and I'm with you on keeping the original sights. This isn't a race gun, however, it's far less accurate than any of my other 1911s, or even my SIGs for that matter.

That being said, I'm going to have the roll marks "fixed," the trigger smoothed and lightened, and whatever it take to shoot 2" groups at 15 yards. If my SIG P229 can do it, then this should as well.

Last edited by Cobra64; 03-13-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra64 View Post

Yesterday I asked Colt why they would polish and finish before rollmarking. Their response was, "that's the way we do it. Send it back and we'll do it the way you want for a fee."
I am a kool-aid drinkin' Colt lover, but damned if that ain't a sore spot. That's a step they deleted a few recent years ago and it was a wrong, poor decision.

That's one of the things Colt was known for.....beautiful, polished blue.

It used to be that sometimes the rollmarks were almost thin because of the super polishing....

Too bad, really.....
Old 03-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Administrator

The rollmarks on pre-Series 70 Colts were always stunning. The slides were dead flat and mirror-smooth, and the rollmarks were perfectly crisp. With the Series 70 models I began noticing some guns with lightly-stamped markings, but they still looked okay. But with my 1989-vintage Series 80 you can see where Colt started getting lazy and left some slight "cratering" around the rollmarks after polishing. Of course nowadays there is no attempt at all to sand the markings down flat, so even after polishing and finishing they leave us with rollmarks that remind me of Marty Feldman's eyeballs. It is really noticeable to me when I put my original 1981-vintage Series 70 and my newer stainless S70 repro side by side.