1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 02-08-2010, 12:56 AM

41 AE Reloading

I just picked up a Tangfolio in 41 AE, need to set up reloading. Finding reloading stuff for this thing is about as tough as finding brass.

I can't find 41 AE dies, was told I can use the 41 Magnum carbide sizer and expander (makes sense) which I already have, but finding a taper crimp is a bit of a challenge. Can't a roll crimp die be backed off and set "just right" to give me just a touch of roll, but not leave too sharp an edge to hang up during feeding? Alternative - can I use a 40 S & W taper crimp seater?

Any tips on reloading for this thing and where to get brass appreciated.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:15 AM

Interesting gun.

I just did a google search and saw some reloading stuff. Midsouth Shooters Supply. Reloadammo.com Reload Bench. Etc. Have you tried a search?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

I used to reload & shoot 41AE in a Jericho 941 (convertible between 9mm & 41 AE). A couple of years ago, I sold the gun. I also sold the dies, brass & bullets. I recently discovered a 100 rd. box of my reloads that got overlooked somehow. IIRC, I sold my brass to a fellow forum member, Weshoot2. He hasn't posted here for quite a while, but you might PM him if you can't find another source for brass. BTW, all my brass was IMI headstamp.

It's not a very popular caliber, but I enjoyed developing loads and shooting them. Feel free to PM me if you are interested in some of the loads I came up with.

NRA Life Member
Old 02-08-2010, 09:57 PM

As far as using the 41 Magnum sizing die the numbers are almost identical.
You should be good to go

41 AE case mouth diameter 0.434” case web diameter 0.435”

41 Magnum case mouth diameter 0.434” case web diameter 0.4349”

As far as using the 40 taper crimp die things go a little south for you
The 40 case mouth is 0.423 in diameter; this is 0.011” under the 41AE case mouth.
Depending on which taper die was used it may work, but it looks like a reach.

You’re also going to want to use a 41 Mag seat die to get you close enough to get a workable start crimping the case

You may be able to work a 41 Magnum roll crimp die, just adjust it down a hair at a time until you just kiss the case mouth before the roll portion of the die starts in.
Or, if it’s one of these crimping dies with a forming mandrel inside the die, maybe you could modify the mandrel to perform the taper crimp for you.

Any friends that have the 41 mag die setup you could barrow to see if it would work?
Good Luck

To be proficient with Firearms the endeavor must be applied similarly as in Golf or Boxing, you have to put the Rounds in! - Gerk

Gerk
Old 02-08-2010, 10:00 PM

I forgot to mention, in the long run it may be more practical to just convert the gun to 9MM, just a thought
Good Luck

To be proficient with Firearms the endeavor must be applied similarly as in Golf or Boxing, you have to put the Rounds in! - Gerk

Gerk
Old 02-08-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGerk View Post
As far as using the 41 Magnum sizing die the numbers are almost identical.
You should be good to go

41 AE case mouth diameter 0.434” case web diameter 0.435”

41 Magnum case mouth diameter 0.434” case web diameter 0.4349”

As far as using the 40 taper crimp die things go a little south for you
The 40 case mouth is 0.423 in diameter; this is 0.011” under the 41AE case mouth. Depending on which taper die was used it may work, but it looks like a reach.

You’re also going to want to use a 41 Mag seat die to get you close enough to get a workable start crimping the case

You may be able to work a 41 Magnum roll crimp die, just adjust it down a hair at a time until you just kiss the case mouth before the roll portion of the die starts in.
Or, if it’s one of these crimping dies with a forming mandrel inside the die, maybe you could modify the mandrel to perform the taper crimp for you.

Any friends that have the 41 mag die setup you could barrow to see if it would work?
Good Luck
I'm going to grab a 9mm barrel, seems like the EAA Witness smaller frame will work fine.

I'm a 41 Magnum junkie, have a carbide sizer set and a few seaters. Redding sells a taper crimp, my concern on crimping - is the 41 mag case so much longer than the 41 AE that the case mouth won't reach crimping before the dies & hits the shell holder? On the 40 S & W, is the 41 AE case too wide to fit into the seater die. If it does fit, I'd give the 40 seater with taper a try.

I reload for the 10mm also, I guess I'll play around a bit with that one also. Seems to me with all this "so close" stuff I should be able to get something done - sizing, expanding the case mout is easy, bit of a challenge on seating & crimping. Worst case scenario is a buy the Redding taper & lop off a bit of the die so the case mouth reaches.

I checked out Midsouth for 41 AE dies but they were out. Will look again. Penn bullets makes a 170 grain .410 diameter bullet that was designed for the 41 AE. Seems like the big challenge will be brass. No way I'm paying $60.00 for 50 empty cases. That's almost as much as my 338 Lapua Magnums.

Last edited by dsf; 02-08-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:50 PM

41 AE Reloading fix

Size a 41 AE case, then run it 3/8 inch into a carbide 40 S&W Lee sizer die. Use the load data for a 170 gr. Sierra bullet and use a 40 cal. 165 Gr. Rainier Plated FP. You won't have to bell the case mouth and yet there will be more than enough neck tension to hold the bullet in place. Crimp in the 41AE crimp die.

The bullet will engrave in the lands about .0015 to .002" and basiclly ride the bore. There will be very little or no recoil and in my gun, the ABSOLUTE greatest accuracy you could hope for. In the past I almost gave up on 41 AE because of the lack of suitable bullets. You will be able to pump up the 40 call bore riders to speeds unimaginable without the pressures associated with standard loads. Stick to 4.7 gr. Winchester 231 to start with, very safe, and work your way up to the Taffin preferred 6.5 gr. load observing case and primer indicators. Other faster powders you would use for 40 S&W will amaze you.

I wondered for years about 'bore riders", and now having tried them, it's the only way to go.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:12 AM

my fav cartridge of all time

I find that the Sierra 170g JHC (intended for the 41 Magnum) works exceedingly well.
I also found many 210--215g LSWC bullets work, too.
WSL, Universal, and HS6 work.

I still have a 'bit' of brass (new IMI; BEST CASE EVER IN ANY CHAMBERING) and Speer's 180g Gold Dot intended for the 41AE.

I lament its passing, as it is superb in my platforms, and superb in UZI subguns.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:11 AM

This is the set i use,http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=971700
I have an original baby eagle in 41AE. check ebay once in a while for the dies gunbroker and other places like this.
rcbs still available hefty price though.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=419764
you can use 40 cal specs when reloading.

all of my brass is IMI ecept some samson ammo i had purchased in the late 1980,s

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=971700

Last edited by tony357; 08-13-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:34 AM

I have a "IPSC Ultra" tanfoglio That I brought back from Europe in the 90's that was a .41 AE. I had a nice Briley 9mm barrel fitted to it so I can shoot both calibers. I also picked up an IMI Hi-Power conversion for my Hi-Power to also shoot .41AE.

I started out using the Sierra 170's and the Penn bullets just for the .41 AE. Recently I found a NIB Lyman bullet mould that casts a 170 TC bullet specifically for the .41 AE. I usnderstand brass is tough to find these days, I fortunatley stocked up on brass and loaded IMI ammo back then.

Neal in AZ