1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 02-07-2010, 06:13 PM

10mm to 9mm conversion

Good evening.
I am wanting to convert my Kimber Eclipse 10mm to a 9mm or a 40. I am tired of not being able to find my expensive 10mm brass and for that reason I don't shoot it. Can I just fit a new barrel or will I have to change the extractor and ejector or more? I am not new here but I haven't posted much either. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance
Old 02-07-2010, 06:44 PM

Converting 10 to 40 should only take a barrel and probably a lighter recoil spring. Converting to a 9 would require a new slide, extractor and magazines as well.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:44 PM

NOT a 9mm. A 9mm is small cartridge and the 40's breech face is larger, there maybe extraction issues. For the .40 yes, a barrel, .40 magazine, maybe lighter springs and a little fitting.

Last edited by Lunatic; 02-07-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:51 PM

Yeah, .40 should be fairly straightforward. I would guess a properly fitted barrel/link, lighter recoil spring, and a longer/tuned ejector (depending on what Kimber uses in their 10mm). I think you can use the same mags?
Old 02-07-2010, 07:44 PM

It is quite a major undertaking but it can be done.!! You will have to change the complete upper receiver. Besides the barrel being the wrong caliber, the breech face is milled for a 10mm case. A 9mm case won't work because the extractor will be in the wrong place.

There will most likely be an issue of changing out the mainspring as a 10mm operates at significantly higher pressures than a 9mm.

Going from a 10MM to a 40 S&W will be much easier!!

COTEP Member # CBOB0152
Old 02-07-2010, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think a 40 is what I will go with here. Any suggestions on the barrel? Should I buy a drop in with a bushing?
Old 02-08-2010, 05:28 AM

Conveting a 10mm to a 9mm

Quote:
Converting 10 to 40 should only take a barrel and probably a lighter recoil spring. Converting to a 9 would require a new slide, extractor and magazines as well.
I believe a major firearms mfg.,(I think it was Springfield) used the same slide for their 9mm and .40 S&W guns. The difference in the width of the cartridges is .030", which isn't a tremendous difference when compared to the 9mm and .45. Because the base of the cartridges are so close in size, when reloading for the 9mm, 40S&W, and the .38 super, the same shell plate can be used.

I took a 9mm slide and opened the breech face to accomodate the .40 S&W round, and now have a gun where I can switch barrels and mags from 9mm to .40.

You may be able to use your Kimber 10mm slide as is, and fit a 9mm barrel. It would be best to use a 9mm (long) ejector, and you may have to adjust extractor tension, but it should work. However, switching to a .40 S&W would be easier, and you may only need to add an extended ejector, and purchase new mags. The Mec-Gar mags with the spacer in the back worked very well in a 1911 .40S&W I once built.

Last edited by richpetrone; 02-08-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Banned

If you want to sell your 10mm barrel, 10mm mags, any NEW 10mm brass or 10mm factory ammo later, just PM me and maybe we can work out a deal.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpetrone View Post
I believe a major firearms mfg.,(I think it was Springfield) used the same slide for their 9mm and .40 S&W guns. The difference in the width of the cartridges is .030", which isn't a tremendous difference when compared to the 9mm and .45.

I took a 9mm slide and opened the breech face to accomodate the .40 S&W round, and now have a gun where I can switch barrels and mags from 9mm to .40.

You may be able to use your Kimber 10mm slide as is, and fit a 9mm barrel. It would be best to use a 9mm (long) extractor, and you may have to adjust extractor tension, but it should work. However, switching to a .40 S&W would be easier, and you may only need to add an extended ejector, and purchase new mags. The Mec-Gar mags with the spacer in the back worked very well in a 1911 .40S&W I once built.

Very good point. consider if the case is .030 larger the Left fixed side of the bolt face only needs to be .015 wider. The extractor takes up the slack on the other side. perhaps a different extractor labeled for 9mm and 40/10 would get you there.

Also consider a super which ends up being a 9mm slide too only needs to be .408 ish but colt routinely made slide that by the time you cleaned up the ejector is .420 so that is really close to what you need.

geo

www.egwguns.com