1911Forum banner

Modified Mil-specs and GIs...

360K views 804 replies 322 participants last post by  1911pete 
#1 ·
Is there a thread featuring only milspecs and gis that have been upgraded? If not is anybody interested in starting one?

#2 ·
There isn't one that I'm aware of, but I'll start.

My modified Mil-Spec.

My stockish GI (checkered trigger, Bakelite grips, checkered magazine release and a non-ILS checkered MSH from Smith & Alexander). It'll get a makeover either this summer or next, depending on funds.

Robert

#6 ·
most of the updating was internal (I wanted one 1911 with the classic 1911A1 look)...buddy says it shoots more accurate than his TRP...

Bill

#7 ·
i took a GI (sorry no pic)...did nite sights, skel trigger,commander hammer,beaver tail with speed bump...GI was black, did trigger in aluminum and hammer in stainless....buffed visible barrel in ejection port to high steel color...4lb trigger....cost more than mil spec when done, but unique and runs great,,,
its not flashy but very understated classiness (not like me :)

#11 ·
I cheated and sent it to Springfield's Custom Shop. They did the sights, the BT, and the checkering (machine cut, 20LPI). I just did a full bead-blast a few weeks ago. The flats had been polished and the rounds had a rougher texture to them, just wanted to even it out. I still need to fiddle with the slide stop that I hacked flush and chamfer the hole. I'm also thinking I should do something about the gap on the barrel bushing, perhaps an EGW bushing (I've heard they offer a bushing that has more material on the portion that slots into the slide to close the gap up). Funny thing about the grip safety, the one I did on my Caspian build is actually fit a little better (the Springfield has a little side to side play)

I'm also waffling on what I want to do with the GI, especially after seeing your Mil-Spec. I had been thinking of a gold bead front (staked on first, then drilled for the bead) with a Yost retro rear (even though I have a 10-8 NM sitting around), perhaps bobbing a spur hammer (Cylinder & Slide), a mild carry bevel and Cerakote. While I do like the retro look, I prefer to shoot 1911s with beavertails. Then a gold bead front is easier with a dovetail... In any event, it will be a while before I can even start, so I have time to change my mind a bunch. I'd also like to try my hand a checkering.

BTW, you forgot to post pics of yours. It's stunning. :rock:

Robert

#21 ·
Ok, I couldn't resist. I had to get in on the first page of this soon to be epic thread. And YES these are the same pics found in the gunsmithing forum, i promise to stop whoring out these same ol photos.

Springfield MilSpec 1911
- Stock frame, slide and barrel
- Cerakote over manganese phosphate. Sniper grey and graphite black.
- EGW Bushing and Plug
- bbl recessed slightly w/ polished 45deg crown
- Heine ledge rear sight cuts by Dave Erickson
- front sight custom by Dave
- dawson rail silver soldered on w/x300
- Larry Davidson black g10 grips
- Chamfered slide stop hole
- carry dehorn all parts
- 20lpi FS checkering (machine work by Dave, cleanup work by me)
- S&A Beavertail
- C&S Tactical hammer 2
- C&S sear, disco
- C&S thumb safety
- ed brown hamer strut
- C&S Short Trigger (pull @ 4.25lb)
- Wilson sear spring
- Wilson MSH
- Ed Brown slide stop
- EGW ejector
- EGW Extractor

#24 · (Edited)
Well, after looking at this thread I have decided what will be my next firearm purchase. I will be picking up a Springfield GI and then I must decide, which smith will be chosen to complete the customization. Unfortunately I have a wedding and honeymoon coming up this summer so I better start saving some extra cashola.

#26 ·
Well, after looking at this thread I have decided what will be my next firearm purchase. I will be picking up a Springfield GI and then I must decide, which smith will be complete the customization. Unfortunately I have a wedding and honeymoon coming up this summer so I better start saving some extra cashola.
After getting my SA Custom Operator, all of my 1911 gunsmithing will go to Springfield's Custom Shop. But that's just my own personal preference, I think their work is top notch.

#29 ·
I was also wondering how it compared to others such as Miller, Rodgers, Morris, or Clark... I know all of them return to you a top notch gun that can only be referred to as epic... so if one was over priced, one was exceptionally low priced, it would be nice to know.

thanks

#35 ·
Shane I did get a LEO discount from Bob and I bought all the parts and shipped the whole works to him. So base pistol, parts, and labor came to less than $1700. The only thing on the gun that is SA is the frame and slide.

Most expensive part by far was the Heinie magwell.

#37 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.