1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 02-05-2010, 09:29 PM

Location: In a hidden bunker beneath the sand and steel of a nondescript manhole deep within the windblown Nevada deserts...
Colt MKIV Series 80 -- Price Check

Hi guys, I need to know the value of a certain Colt MKIV, Series 80. The gun has some scratches, but nothing serious. It has a nice blued finish; a BO MAR adjustable rear sight; a custom trigger job; Colt black rubber grips w/ medallions; Pachmayr black rubber wraparounds; a Colt 7-rd magazine; a Wilson 8-rd magazine; and the original box w/ matching Serial # and all original papers, including a letter from Colt's president and the hand-written receipt.

How much would this be worth, fellas?

What part of "shall not" don't they understand?

Last edited by Joe Shmoe; 02-20-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:52 PM

Not an expert here, but I'm curious...

Does this particular specimen have the "COLT MK IV" rollmark or the "COLT M1991A1"? Reason I ask is because I see both types described as "MK IV" in some Gunbroker listings...

I see prices ranging from $600 - 1500 in varying degrees of condition... seen some NIB "COLT M1991A1" rolls listed at $750. And one nice used "COLT MK IV" roll with several bids at $900.00 and no reserve met yet...

Sorry not much help here but I thought I'd comment at least...
Old 02-05-2010, 10:40 PM

Location: In a hidden bunker beneath the sand and steel of a nondescript manhole deep within the windblown Nevada deserts...
The rollmark is "COLT MKIV." It has some minor surface damage, but I see nothing too nasty. Biggest scratch there is maybe 1" long where the frame was cut for trigger finger clearance.

BTW, you're probably closer to "expert" than I am!

Old 02-06-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
where the frame was cut for trigger finger clearance.
Sounds like it's been messed with at least a bit. Also, whether it's a low-mount BoMar or a high-mount one matters - folks don't value the high ones as much. Also is the finish original?

Sounds like $600 as a shooter would be a good price - very hard to say without a picture so it's going to be conservatively valued by people here.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:21 AM

A picture would be very good. When you say the frame was cut it could be bad for its value.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:29 AM

What I mean by "cut" is that the 1911A1 frame has that groove there, or whatever you want to call it. I can't get a picture right now, but that scratch probably isn't as bad as it is coming off. I'm pretty sure the finish is original. The BoMar sight is whichever one is here.

EDIT:

Apparently I should go read The Gun Digest Book of the 1911 to brush up on my terminology.

Last edited by Joe Shmoe; 02-06-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:31 PM

OK, I think I get it. I think what you mean is it has an "idiot mark" arcing through the finger relief behind the trigger? Yeah, that's pretty common. I believe we were thinking you meant the frame had been relieved under the trigger guard (a not uncommon modification) and that opened up a new realm of mods/finish issues, etc.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:21 PM

Well, it's mostly right above the finger relief around the slide stop area and extending into the finger relief. Looks like the pistol's been disassembled/reassembled a lot, and the guy who did it put the slide stop into place by first sticking the pin into its hole and, starting right in front of the trigger, applied inward force and pivoted it upward to lock in place. So yeah, serious idiot mark. (It's a Colt for God's sake, you don't go and rub the slide stop into the frame! Save it for a Norinco!)

I wish the memory stick in my camera was compatible with my computer so I could post some pictures. Oh well, I started the thread before I bought it. Now I'm just curious.

Don't lose any sleep over it, now.