1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 02-04-2010, 02:59 PM

TRP Operator - half cock hammer drop

Ok, so I have a SA TRP Operator(full length rail model) that i purchased about a year ago. I can't remember if I really tested the hammer drop from half cock when I first got it or not. I just recently put a new C&S MARSOC hammer in my Taurus PT1911, the install instructions were talking about testing to make sure the hammer would not drop from the half cock when the trigger was pulled. Well the new hammer is functioning perfectly in my Taurus 1911, but I was curious to double check my TRP from the half cock and it does fall. I am not new to firearms but pretty new to 1911's. From what I have read, that isn't a huge safety issue for now, but may lead to hammer follow later on. Anyone have this issue with their TRP, other SA, or any 1911? Also I have never worked with SA's customer service, if this is a failure, would they fix it, again I purchased this used. Thanks for the input...
Old 02-04-2010, 04:42 PM

Springfield's customer service is legendary and you do not have to be the original purchaser. Any safety issue involves the firing system should be address as soon as possible. Hammer follow is easy to fix.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:43 PM

Are you sure its really half cock? The true half cock is the first notch down from full cock. I can pull the trigger on my SA's and the hammer will drop from the first two (I think there are two) clicks, but the third- half cock- the hammer will not drop.

I'm sure SA will gladly fix it for you free of charge.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:56 PM

1911 hammers have TWO notches, half cock and full cock. From what I understand the original half cock was captive, meaning if you pulled the trigger while the gun was at half cock nothing was suppose to happen.

Over time for whatever reason some companies went to a NON captive half cock, meaning that if you pull the trigger at half cock the hammer WOULD fall. It does NOT mean the hammer/sear is unsafe, just that's how yours is set up.

Question is why???? I honestly have no idea. Just remember this however. The half cock notch is there for two safety reasons. To prevent the gun from going full auto when firing if for some reason the full cock notch fails, and to prevent a accidental discharge if you try to thumb cock the weapon with a round in the chamber.

Does either of these really require the half cock be captive??? I don't think so but I may be wrong. Anyway, it takes more machine time to make a captive notch then a non captive notch, so if you make 750,000 hammers a year and cut your machine time by 5 minutes a hammer you save how much in the long run???
Old 02-05-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2734 View Post
1911 hammers have TWO notches, half cock and full cock. From what I understand the original half cock was captive, meaning if you pulled the trigger while the gun was at half cock nothing was suppose to happen.

Over time for whatever reason some companies went to a NON captive half cock, meaning that if you pull the trigger at half cock the hammer WOULD fall. It does NOT mean the hammer/sear is unsafe, just that's how yours is set up.

Question is why???? I honestly have no idea. Just remember this however. The half cock notch is there for two safety reasons. To prevent the gun from going full auto when firing if for some reason the full cock notch fails, and to prevent a accidental discharge if you try to thumb cock the weapon with a round in the chamber.

Does either of these really require the half cock be captive??? I don't think so but I may be wrong. Anyway, it takes more machine time to make a captive notch then a non captive notch, so if you make 750,000 hammers a year and cut your machine time by 5 minutes a hammer you save how much in the long run???
My TRP had the similar half cock... um shelf might be a better term. It stopped the hammer like it was supposed to, but wasn't a true notch like most of the hammers I've seen. It was flat and would allow it to fall if the trigger was pulled.