1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 01-28-2010, 12:20 PM

Auto Drive for Dillon 650

Ponsness/Warren now have an Auto Drive for a Dillon 650 found it here. If I only had a 650 ( I have a 550)

Here is a video of a Dillon 1050 running on the Auto Drive.

http://www.udrange.com/

Videos
Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 PM

What happens when you get a case upside down in the auto case feeder tube?

I get all kinds of little hiccups I have to fix manually. I can't imagine turning on a reloading press and walking away.
NRA Life Member
Old 01-28-2010, 12:58 PM

It is foot pedal operated so you don't walk away from it. Taken from the link I posted above."The actuating arm is equipped with a slip-cutch system, allowing it to slip or stop under too much pressure. The AUTO-DRIVE is easily operated by pressing down on the foot pedal."

Videos
Old 01-28-2010, 04:01 PM

WOW...Just WOW!!! I wondered how long it would take before someone came up with one. I guess if you were selling reloads, or were shooting that much, it would have a place. I imagine that they will sell some. I looked at the bullet feeder, but just couldn't "pull the trigger"..
Old 01-28-2010, 05:47 PM

A lazy reloader's dream come true (read: me)! That's a hefty price tag though. I'm sure it will have appeal to commercial reloaders looking to cut down on the tennis elbow problems.

IIRC, MEC used to offer something similar for their shotshell reloader. I remember seeing and thinking how great it would be to have that as opposed to my manual indexed MEC650. Don't recall what kind of dollars were involved though.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:18 AM

Auto Drive

The auto drive and a bullet feeder would be good for a commercial reloader.
The Ponsness Warren auto feed has been around for a while. Since I only reload for my own needs, my Dillon 1050 works fine for my highest volume load, which is the 9mm. I may start shooting a lot of .40S&W in the future, so I just may purchase an extra 1050 tool head. The 9mm, .40S&W, and the .38 super all use the same shell plate and small primer, so it would be a relatively easy swap to start loading any of the above with an extra tool head or two. I also have a dedicated STAR machine for .45 and a D550 with extra tool heads and powder measures for .380, .223, 9mm, .38super, and .40s&W. The .380 and .223 also use the same shell plate, and all of these calibers use small primers, so I don't hve to change the priming assembly...pretty quick to change!

Last edited by richpetrone; 01-29-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:00 AM

Never say never but, even with loading primer tubes, I can still run off 1000 .45's in a single evening in a couple hours. That's at least enough for a week's shooting, once the stinking weather warms up.

Now, if I was reloading for all my grandsons, I might look into it.

Naw, I'd make em reload for themselves.
NRA Life Member
Old 01-29-2010, 09:39 AM

I built an auto drive for my 1050, it runs a little slower than I can by hand but I can case gauge concurrent with loading.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:55 AM

here is the video of the XL650 with the auto drive found on youtube.

Videos
Old 01-29-2010, 09:58 AM

Reloading

BillD:

Quote:
Naw, I'd make em reload for themselves.
If your grandsons are able to reload on your 1050 for free, they should load a couple of hundred for you each time as a "user fee" My grandsons are still too young to reload.....perhaps when they get older.....?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpetrone View Post
BillD:

If your grandsons are able to reload on your 1050 for free, they should load a couple of hundred for you each time as a "user fee" My grandsons are still too young to reload.....perhaps when they get older.....?
I only go up to a 650. I'm reloading challenged.

The kids are still young, but I'm planning for the future. If they want to shoot reloads, they are gonna reload for me too.

Course, you know we will still be buying all the components.
NRA Life Member
Old 03-22-2010, 03:30 PM

The use of any aftermarket equipment is considered potentially hazardous, and is not recommended. Any modifications performed to your machine, or the addition of any unapproved equipment from other manufacturers will void the warranty.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonhelp View Post
The use of any aftermarket equipment is considered potentially hazardous, and is not recommended. Any modifications performed to your machine, or the addition of any unapproved equipment from other manufacturers will void the warranty.
I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks for the info. (Not that I'm not pretty happy with my 650 just as it is! ) Been loading on a 1050 some lately. Nice machine.

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks for the info. (Not that I'm not pretty happy with my 650 just as it is! ) Been loading on a 1050 some lately. Nice machine.
Now that you've been bitten by the 1050, how long before you buy one?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpap View Post
Now that you've been bitten by the 1050, how long before you buy one?
Maybe when "just the right" deal comes along!

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Dillonhelp,

Perhaps you should review "MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT OF 1975" before threatening your customers...

In short, the warranty can only be voided if it is determined that the installation of "unapproved equipment" contributed to the malfunction for which warranty relief is sought.

Andy
Old 03-25-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJake View Post
Dillonhelp,

Perhaps you should review "MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT OF 1975" before threatening your customers...

In short, the warranty can only be voided if it is determined that the installation of "unapproved equipment" contributed to the malfunction for which warranty relief is sought.

Andy
Let's see now...paying for a lawyer to fight Mike Dillon....hmmmm. Better be stacking up those pennies!

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:32 PM

I have the Hydraulic / foot operated - presses from MEC ...9000-HN series / for 12, 20, 28ga and .410 and they work great. The hydraulics will easily load 20 boxes an hour or 500 shells an hour. I had shoulder reconstruction a year ago / the foot pedal makes it easier on my repaired shoulder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shotgun Loaders & Safe 2-18-09 001.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	50619

I have a cut off valve on the pump - so I can keep 2 loaders setup on bench / but just operate one at a time. The 12ga is always on the left / then I swap the one on the right out in 20, 28ga or .410 ... it just takes a minute to disconnect the hose and bleeder tube ...and drop the new loader in place.

On the MEC system - the electric motor and pump are pretty heavy / so they stay on the floor / the foot pedal is attached .. but it works very well.

I can see putting a foot pedal operated mechanism on a Dillon 650 would be a very good option ( but I have 10 grandkids / 5 of them are of "shooting age" ..and they can go thru some ammo ....). But I think I'll wait and see if Dillon comes up with an option on their own.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
Let's see now...paying for a lawyer to fight Mike Dillon....hmmmm. Better be stacking up those pennies!
Any lawyer worth his salt will take the case in a heartbeat, since Mike would end up paying his fee anyway...

Andy
Old 03-26-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
And yet, there are fixes on the internet for the popular 650 issues: snapping shell plate that spills powder and the spent primer capturing instead of having them all over the garage. Actually, I'm amazed Dillon hasn't fixed those issues.
NRA Life Member
Old 03-26-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJake View Post
Any lawyer worth his salt will take the case in a heartbeat, since Mike would end up paying his fee anyway...

Andy
I'll defer to your expertise in litigation matters. I am but a simple countryman, languishing away, down heah on Tobaccy Road!

Just speaking from the feeble mind of a simple layman, however, I'd have to opine that Dillon would have a pretty good case in asserting that adding another manufacturer's auto drive to a Dillon machine probably would have caused the malady in questiion. I'm sure ol' Mike has lawyers worth their salt, too. Most lawyers "worth their salt" won't take on a spurious case, to begin with.

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:05 PM

Dillon said adding ANY unapproved non-dillon part to their press "will" (not "might") void the warranty. Granted, something like an auto drive would likely be at least suspected in most press malfunctions, but they still would have to show in court that a preponderance of the evidence indicated that it did, not that it might have, caused the malfunction.

Then, he didn't limit the threat to just an auto drive, but any non-dillon equipment! Ouch, no non-dillon dies?! What about someone else's powder measure? They do sell an adapter for using other powder measures, but I haven't seen their list of "approved" powder measures to be used with it. Beware, don't put an acro-bin from anyone else on that press!

Andy
Old 03-26-2010, 07:22 PM

This thread is heading south fast. Give us a break.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herd48 View Post
this thread is heading south fast. Give us a break.
+1