1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 01-27-2010, 01:55 PM

Colt Defender

Can anyone tell me what they know or have heard about the Colt Defender? I have had my eye on one at a local gun store and love the feel of it in my hand. My primary purpose for this would be CCW. I love the idea of having a 1911 that is small and concealable, but don't know much about this gun. I know that I don't like the new agent with it's trough sights.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:16 PM

how about a...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuneralDude View Post
Can anyone tell me what they know or have heard about the Colt Defender? I have had my eye on one at a local gun store and love the feel of it in my hand. My primary purpose for this would be CCW. I love the idea of having a 1911 that is small and concealable, but don't know much about this gun. I know that I don't like the new agent with it's trough sights.
Dont know much about the Colt Defender series. They seem to look and feel nice (sorry no help), but have you looked into the Kimber product line? They have nice selection and variety of Ultra Carries. Here's mine:

OOPS! I'm sorry, I did not mean to promote Kimber products inside the "Colt" forum. My apologies.
Colt M1991A1 | Kimber Ultra CDP Carry II .45 | S&W 1911 | S&W 6906 | Springfield XD40 & XD40sc | Beretta 92FS
Old 01-27-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuneralDude View Post
I've owned three Colt Defenders and one Night Defender. Super CCW pistols. Accurate and reliable. One of the Defenders required some tweaking by Colt but in the end performed as it should. Kimber - not so much.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:57 PM

I love my Defender, even after Colt had to refinish the frame (the Teflon started flaking off). I've only seen/heard of this happening with two units, mine and one other. So, I'd highly recommend it. Just look the frame finish over real good, it should all be satin smooth. If you find any areas (especially between the rear edge of the grip & the main spring housing) that are rough, ask to see a different Defender.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:26 PM

I've had a Colt Defender since last August. I carry it all day everyday, in either C5 Montana XLT or Galco N3 holsters.

I've had no problems with it whatsoever. The only thing I changed on it, even before firing it for the first time, were the grips. I put some thin rosewood double diamond checkered grips on it.

The trigger has some creep, but that doesn't bother me. It's not a target gun.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:35 PM

I have a night defender. It is my concealed carry gun and I love it. I wouldn't hesitate to depend on it in a life or death situation.

A search on this forum for "Colt Defender" will return you a lot of great information.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:00 PM

So far I'm real happy with my Night Defender as my carry gun. As for the Kimber recommendation... Well, I spent a good bit of time comparing the Kimber, ND and a few other small light weight carry guns. I kept going back to the Night Defender. And for a "little" gun it sure shoots well.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:28 PM

I have had a Defender since they came out in the late 1990s. They are surprisingly accurate and the recoil is very manageable with the dual recoil spring. I carry it in a Galco Concealable holster made especially for the Defender. It has been very reliable. I highly recommend them.

Chuck
Old 01-27-2010, 08:12 PM

It's my favorite carry pistol - and I have several.

Bob
COTEP #0071
Old 01-27-2010, 08:22 PM

I've had several Defenders pass through my grubbies. I consider them one of the top choices for concealed carry.
My son totes one daily. I will too when the $ is right.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:40 PM

I bought a lightly used Defender in Sept. After about 300 rounds, I sent it back to Colt due to ejection of brass to the forehead. Colt kept it a long time and helped some. After another 300 rounds, the ejection problem is getting better so maybe it's a break in issue. The gun is accurate and recoil is not bad. It's really nice for carry due to the weight and size. I did change out the wraparound grip to checked mahogony grips from Brownells. I think you will like it.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:20 PM

Defender

Love mine, flawless, very nice to carry and accurate. Do not regret it a bit.

It reminded me of a Colt Pockelite 380 I have and they both are a pair of winners.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:11 AM

I have carried a defender daily for the last two years and practice with it regularly. It has fired everything I have fed it right out of the box. Never had a failure to feed or fire regardless of the type of ammo I've used. I wouldn't hestitate to buy another.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:47 AM

I have a Defender Plus (govt alloy frame) that's been 100% but every 1911 needs to have hundreds of trouble free rounds before carry..
COTEP#236..Since 1984 w/IHMSA,NRA,USPSA,IDPA,IPSC...
USCG Lic.Captain, FFF Fly Casting Instructor

Don't take life too seriously.....
No one makes it out alive anyway......
Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 AM

Is anybody running Crimson Trace grips on their Defender (or New Agent for that mater)?

I've been interested in the idea of buying a set when i decide on a Defender or New Agent.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:10 AM

My Defender had a few serious "issues" when it was new. It would lock up on a jambed round about every 8 to 10 shots and brass would eject and hit me right between the eyes when it did fire. I sent it back to Colt and they did something to fix the problem. It now feeds 230 grain FMJ ball ammo just fine, but the only hollow point that I've found to work consistently and shoot accurately is the 185 grain Winchester Silvertip. Colt flat out told me "they aren't made to shoot anything other than 230 ball ammo.", so they won't look at it any further. I'm not happy about it, but it is reliable with that round so that's what I carry.

The serrations on the slide were so sharp that they cut open my thumb while shooting it. I took a file to the slide and put a bevel on all the sharp edges, now it's much better. I also tossed those silly grips that come on it and that goofy grip safety. I installed some thing profile wood grips and a Wilson "drop-in" beavertail along with a S&A checkered mainspring housing. Those modifications made it a much nicer shooting pistol for me. I'd like to find a set of Tritium sights for it next.

Overall, it is a good carry gun. It is very light and compact. It rides well in either my Coronado Leather concealment vest or my Andrew's Leather MacDaniel II IWB holster. I also like the name "Defender" should I ever be called upon to use this weapon. Here in California, the courts are not friendly to gun owners. I feel that the "Defender" might just be a bit better than a CQB (close quarter battle) pistol.......
Old 02-09-2010, 12:08 PM

I recently bought a very slightly used 1998 Defender (Looks new) . It shoots a LOT better than I expected from a 3" auto. Mostly shoot 230 FMJ but it loads/shoots HP just fine. I love how the grips feel and fit my hand.
D.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:47 PM

I have a question. I see some Defenders stamped M40, what does M 40 denote is it 40 S&W.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:33 PM

To the OP, great pistol but as with all Defenders/ OACPs the recoil can be a bit much with 230 Gr. ball especially if you intend to practice with it. It's not something one would consider shooting all day with.

-1911Collector

"You have a pretty face. Do you speak Spanish? ...you have a face como un burro." Gru.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Dodge View Post
My Defender had a few serious "issues" when it was new. It would lock up on a jambed round about every 8 to 10 shots and brass would eject and hit me right between the eyes when it did fire. I sent it back to Colt and they did something to fix the problem. It now feeds 230 grain FMJ ball ammo just fine, but the only hollow point that I've found to work consistently and shoot accurately is the 185 grain Winchester Silvertip. Colt flat out told me "they aren't made to shoot anything other than 230 ball ammo.", so they won't look at it any further. I'm not happy about it, but it is reliable with that round so that's what I carry.

The serrations on the slide were so sharp that they cut open my thumb while shooting it. I took a file to the slide and put a bevel on all the sharp edges, now it's much better. I also tossed those silly grips that come on it and that goofy grip safety. I installed some thing profile wood grips and a Wilson "drop-in" beavertail along with a S&A checkered mainspring housing. Those modifications made it a much nicer shooting pistol for me. I'd like to find a set of Tritium sights for it next.

Overall, it is a good carry gun. It is very light and compact. It rides well in either my Coronado Leather concealment vest or my Andrew's Leather MacDaniel II IWB holster. I also like the name "Defender" should I ever be called upon to use this weapon. Here in California, the courts are not friendly to gun owners. I feel that the "Defender" might just be a bit better than a CQB (close quarter battle) pistol.......
Ref. your Defender's "Issues", I'd get ahold of Brent here and have a chat.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:58 PM

I picked up a Defender last week. It is the 9mm version.

Having had no experience with them, I was a little apprehensive. I don't even know anyone personally who has one. But, after going back 3 times to "look" at it, I finally bought it.

I took it home, cleaned it up a oiled it and headed for the range. The first time I ran about 300 rounds through it, all trouble free. The next time I ran about another 300 rounds through it, trouble free. On Saturday, I took it out again, but only put about 100 rounds through it since it was so windy. Again, no problems.

It is very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. I am planning on using it for a carry gun, after we have gotten to know each other better. I am confident that I can hit what I am at with it.

Here is one of my first targets. 25 feet, one handed. It is more accurate than I am!

Max

Old 12-20-2010, 05:37 PM

My results so far are very similar to the above post. I got a .45 Defender a couple of weeks ago. It's been flawless and extremely accurate. Not sure I'm sold on the grips, but they do work well.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey View Post
Is anybody running Crimson Trace grips on their Defender (or New Agent for that mater)?

I've been interested in the idea of buying a set when i decide on a Defender or New Agent.
I put a set on mine, the LG-404P1 Burlwood.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:46 PM

I have 2 Governments 2 Colt Commanders, and a Defender. The defender shoots as well as any of my others, I carry it every day. Shoots anything I give it. It has white dot sights and I blacked out the rear dots, the slide is very sharp it will cut you or your holster thats my biggest complaint. I personally like the factory rubber grips they fit my hands very well.
Attached Thumbnails
P1050566a.jpg  
Old 12-20-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Silverbullet View Post
I have 2 Governments 2 Colt Commanders, and a Defender. The defender shoots as well as any of my others, I carry it every day. Shoots anything I give it. It has white dot sights and I blacked out the rear dots, the slide is very sharp it will cut you or your holster thats my biggest complaint. I personally like the factory rubber grips they fit my hands very well.
I've heard several times about the sharp edges on the Defender slide. Mine isn't sharp at all. Did I just get lucky or did something change?

Max