1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 01-23-2010, 05:54 PM

Sig P220 Super Match

Just to show there are other pistols than a 1911 that are worth owning:

Sig P220 Super Match. This comes about as close to a 1911 "Killer" as possible in my book. I purchased this piece last year from Olde English (Dayton, OH) imediatley after picking up a P220 Stainless Elite (another nice 45). The Super Match is a single action, cocked and locked 45 designed for target shooting. It has, as seen below, a nice set of sharp adjustable sights. On to the "picturery goodness":

A Sig "Custom Shop" gun.

Nicely fitted and dehorned without being a soap bar - not a fan of the soap bar.

Well done, as expected. Sig barrels are some of the best. Polished throat.

Polished breech face.

Excellent fitting of the barrel.

Bill's Training Blog
Old 01-23-2010, 05:54 PM

Internal extractor. Showing lightening cuts necessary with the 5" slide.

Beautifully finished gun.

Machine cut checkering, 30lpi. Nicely done, but not enough IMO.

Nice.

Ok. Here's the dirt.

I dont own a firearm that has a better fitted barrel. Absolutely no binding whatsoever. Positively no play in any direction when locked up in the slide w/o recoil spring assembly. There have been reports of dropping QC at sig by some. Its not evident here (or in my other sigs for that matter).

This particular P220 has been 100% reliable over 890 rounds to date. It is also THE MOST ACCURATE 45 I OWN. More so than my PII Baers w/ the 1.5" option. I should qualify that statement with the caveat that is with my standard 200g LSWC load.

I dont like the grips. I would prefer regular sig grips.

The thumb safety is a bit stiff. It doesnt seem to be getting any lighter. I like the fact you can operate the slide with the safety engaged.

I think its a good looking gun. It looks even better when I swap frames with my SS Elite making an all stainless gun.

I wish it had normal fixed sig sights w/ H3 inserts.

Sig 8 round mags are the best single stack 45 magazines availible. I wish it was compatable with the 1911.

This is easily as close to a 1911 killer available. Good balance. Shap sights (with sharp edges). Reliable. Super accurate. The test target the gun came with has to be seen to be believed.

Not horribly expensive when compared with similar 1911s. If you get the chance, I say go for it.
Bill's Training Blog
Old 01-23-2010, 08:56 PM

Nice pistol. It will as mine eat any ammo without puking. The trigger can be greatly improved. The only Sigs with great out of the box triggers are the P210, 220 sport and the x series which I also have.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 PM

I've got a deposit down on one.

How interchangeable are the parts with other p220's either super match or not?

Also, are the grips swappable with other sigs or are there aftermarket slim grips?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:47 PM

I dont have a match but I do own a SAO 220R full size that has been flawless!
Eats anything I feed it as well as comes out of the box with a great trigger and carrys just as well as my 1911's in my Nick Matthews IWB holster.
Great gun and I thought the same thing about the mags they come with as well as its the next best thing to a 1911.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:09 AM

That is pretty!!!! I am just getting in Sigs, my first one a W. German P226 that I am in the process of refurbishing. (Duracoat removal). That 220 is the nicest one I have seen yet.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethSwatch View Post
I've got a deposit down on one.

How interchangeable are the parts with other p220's either super match or not?

Also, are the grips swappable with other sigs or are there aftermarket slim grips?
I can take the assembled slide off of any of my 220s and swap them around without issue.

Grips are a different matter. If they are for the manual safety version, they will work fine. A regular P220 and the frame mounted safety versions are not compatable.

The Super Matches brother:

As is the case with all Sigs I have experience with, its been 100% too with sig mags, mec gars, and pro mags (pro's are OK, not great, but ok).

The heft makes it easy to shoot. Not as accurate as the Super, but still more accurate than the average 45.
Bill's Training Blog
Old 01-24-2010, 11:37 AM

Excellent photos, thanks for posting them.

My P220 is one of my favorite pistols. Very accurate and reliable -- zero malfunctions after about 750 rds.

General George S. Patton

Please Join the NRA -- Help Protect Our 2nd Amendment Rights.!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:28 PM

Nice looking Sig's! I have the standard P-220 and love it as well.

What the heck are those milled dimples just past the feed ramp (10 of them) suppose to do? I don't have those on my frame-
Proverbs 29:10 Bloodthirsty men hate a man of integrity and seek to kill the upright.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANCESWITHGUNS View Post
Nice looking Sig's! I have the standard P-220 and love it as well.

What the heck are those milled dimples just past the feed ramp (10 of them) suppose to do? I don't have those on my frame-

I have absolutely no idea. At all. It seems like a odd way of marking them. I cant think of a single thing.
Bill's Training Blog
Old 01-29-2010, 08:52 AM

that is a very nice looking pistol, actually i was shocked when i opened the thread because i usually dont care for sigs, but that one is nice, how is the trigger? the only sig ive been able to stand the trigger on was a friends blackwater edition, which obviously was a custom trigger

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:33 AM

I wondered where the dimples came from as well. Good looking pistol, I've been very happy with the four Sigs I've owned.