1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 04-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Lock tight

Got home from the range yesterday shot my P238 sweet little gun, now I don't miss my mustang as much. Also shot my EMP 40 and had a better range session, I continue to have some FTE but less than previous seems that this a thoroughbred and will require patience and I know I will be paid off,I'm new to the 40 round and it seems to have a different dynamic than 9 or 45mm, to address the title of my post (finally) : ) I did blue lock tight the grip screws. 2 sessions ago and they are holding well. The front sight pin was coming loose and session before last I gently tapped it in well it came loose again so this time I used the lock tight and again tapped it in. I know it's my newest gun and I would love the use as my EDC, I love the handing even more than my Kimber CPD ultra carry in 45 cal.
Just some feedback and thoughts
Al
Old 04-02-2011, 04:28 PM

Careful with the loctite, since you might back your bushings out of the frame when you take the grips off. Then it's probably new bushing time... I use rubber o-rings between the grip and the bushings to keep the grip screws from coming loose.

How many rounds do you have in your EMP .40? During the first 200 or so, mine has the occasional FTE.

And, I agree with you about the sweetness of the p238!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amacro View Post
Got home from the range yesterday shot my P238 sweet little gun, now I don't miss my mustang as much. Also shot my EMP 40 and had a better range session, I continue to have some FTE but less than previous seems that this a thoroughbred and will require patience and I know I will be paid off,I'm new to the 40 round and it seems to have a different dynamic than 9 or 45mm, to address the title of my post (finally) : ) I did blue lock tight the grip screws. 2 sessions ago and they are holding well. The front sight pin was coming loose and session before last I gently tapped it in well it came loose again so this time I used the lock tight and again tapped it in. I know it's my newest gun and I would love the use as my EDC, I love the handing even more than my Kimber CPD ultra carry in 45 cal.
Just some feedback and thoughts
Al
COTEP #0381
"I have one simple request... and that is to have sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads!"
--Dr. Evil
Old 04-02-2011, 04:49 PM

iGun- I'm sure close to 400 rounds or so- I have been meticulous with cleaning not to much lube etc. Interestingly my last 30-40 rounds were with lawman 135 grain JHP and fed and ejected smooth as silk! I have 2 mags ready to go left over. The EMP will not feed the hornady critical defense at all- jams every time, I really don't want to sent it back and hoping it will "straighten" out. I did get some 2000 grit paper and smoothed the ramp gently. PS Thank's for the o ring idea.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:44 PM

Try Speer Gold Dots. That's what a lot of use are using, including me. I like 124gr +p.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:52 PM

Polizei1-The 124 grain is that for the 40 cal? Or the 9mm?
Thank's Al
Old 04-02-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Thank's Al
9mm..
Old 04-02-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Thank's Al
Whoops, that's for 9mm. For .40, I'm not too sure. I would assume 165gr?
Old 04-02-2011, 08:31 PM

I just ordered one. Gonna pick it up soon I hope. Will be sure to let you guys know what I think!!
Old 04-03-2011, 06:43 AM

Same thing happened to my new EMP .40 with the rear sight. Other than the sight coming loose, it has been flawless since the first round.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:55 AM

I have put aaround 1300 rounds through my EMP .40 including 4 different kinds of ball ammo and 5 different kinds of JHP. I am going to run some Critical Defense through it this weekend to see how it performs, I'll post the results later. I have had exactly 1 FTF-this was because a friend was shooting it at the time and got his thumb in the way of the slide.....thus a failure to cycle properly. I have had zero problems with the front or rear sight abd have fitted the weapon with a set of (slightly modified) CT lazer grips. So far it seems to be the all round wonderfuland near perfect weapon, especially for concealed carry.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwolf View Post
I have put aaround 1300 rounds through my EMP .40 including 4 different kinds of ball ammo and 5 different kinds of JHP. I am going to run some Critical Defense through it this weekend to see how it performs, I'll post the results later. I have had exactly 1 FTF-this was because a friend was shooting it at the time and got his thumb in the way of the slide.....thus a failure to cycle properly. I have had zero problems with the front or rear sight abd have fitted the weapon with a set of (slightly modified) CT lazer grips. So far it seems to be the all round wonderfuland near perfect weapon, especially for concealed carry.
I'd like to hear how you're session goes it sounds like things are going well thus far for you. I agree in the importance of lasers, I wonder did you look at the lasersights that mount on the rear sight? My interest is trying to have the best of both world's in that due to my aging eyes I have also been looking at the XS big dots for the front sight.
I'm still in process of of working kinks out of my 40 issues with mostly FTE may be my technique I'm new to the 40 round.
Al
Old 04-03-2011, 11:43 AM

Can someone please give me the exact height of the 9mm EMP front sight?
Quack gave me the rear height at .375

I'm researching getting a gold bead front and black rear.
My measuring skills are limited and I'm having a hard time measuring them while in the slide.
I'm also not sure exactly where to measure from, front, rear, top of sight, top of bead, etc..

I came up with .195, is that correct?

Thank you...zippy357
Old 04-03-2011, 11:49 AM

Most front sight measurements are from the top of slide to top of sight, except H&K who use the over all.

LOG

Old 04-03-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I'd like to hear how you're session goes it sounds like things are going well thus far for you. I agree in the importance of lasers, I wonder did you look at the lasersights that mount on the rear sight? My interest is trying to have the best of both world's in that due to my aging eyes I have also been looking at the XS big dots for the front sight.
I'm still in process of of working kinks out of my 40 issues with mostly FTE may be my technique I'm new to the 40 round.
Al
Here is some advice for folks who may have started with a smaller caliber (.380 or 9mm). Many FTE tend to come from "limp wristing" a larger caliber weapon. Make sure you have a good tight grip and solid wrist when you shoot, this should eliminate a lot of FTE.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwolf View Post
Here is some advice for folks who may have started with a smaller caliber (.380 or 9mm). Many FTE tend to come from "limp wristing" a larger caliber weapon. Make sure you have a good tight grip and solid wrist when you shoot, this should eliminate a lot of FTE.
I appreciate the input and feedback it really is a different ballgame, (the 40 cal) that being said I love the idea of stretching my abilities and learning new weapons, but it's a challenge! I've been doing some wrist strengthening by racking the slide and letting the bullets load and then eject.
Again feedback appreciated
Al
Old 04-03-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadconversions View Post
Looking to pick-up a IWB holster soon for the EMP and had a question. I was told that any 3" 1911 leather holster will fit this gun well. I tried it at the LGS with a Galco (stamped Kimber - yuck) and it fit really tight but I was looking at picking up a 5-shot leather LA-CCS today for the 3" 1911 and wanted to make sure it fit.

From my research - it appears that they didn't change any dimensions significantly that would effect an IWB holster but I did notice that several holster companies list the EMP as separate models.

Any real world experience here?
I use either a galco summer comfort or the bianchi colt officer holster either one works for my emp 40
Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the input and feedback it really is a different ballgame, (the 40 cal) that being said I love the idea of stretching my abilities and learning new weapons, but it's a challenge! I've been doing some wrist strengthening by racking the slide and letting the bullets load and then eject.
Again feedback appreciated
Al
Rechambering the same round can be dangerous when you finally fire the round. Each time a round chambers, it can be set back a bit deeper in the casing. That can build dangerous pressure, especially in 40SW. There is a DOE report on The Gun Zone where they investigated a blown up Glock on the training range at Los Alamos. Standard proceedure was to unload guns after a shift and then reload the next time. They found noticeable variations in height of the rechambered ammo.

Some manufacturers recommend rechambering a round no more than a couple of times at most.

If you are going to practice this way, I suggest you mark your practice ammo and never shoot it!

Ken
Old 04-04-2011, 12:45 AM

Somebody asked about holsters for the EMP.

I use a Milt Sparks HR-LTD for CCW (think a thin VM-II maintaining the steel mouth band, and for daily carry. I got a Blade-Tech for competition, and yes I will shoot an occasional IDPA match with it. IN fact the first shots fired from mine, vs the one i got for my daughter, was at an IDPA match.

The very first shot was a 20yd single steel plate. The RO had apologized because I had already made my excuses, I had whined to him that it was literally a brand new gun. But I nailed it dead nuts. So with a very big grin, I went on and had a very good match with that little beastie.

First get a very good belt. I have been using a Wilderness Products 5 stitch belts for over 25 years now. There are a lot of good belts though.

But I am a Milt Sparks type of guy.
I get a well made cheap Galco/El Paso Saddlery/ etc. For the short term and order my Milt Sparks for it. Then I wait.

For Competition I use Blade tech, Tucker, Comp-Tac. and now RRCS.

Good luck.

Fred
Old 04-04-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken45101 View Post
Rechambering the same round can be dangerous when you finally fire the round. Each time a round chambers, it can be set back a bit deeper in the casing. That can build dangerous pressure, especially in 40SW. There is a DOE report on The Gun Zone where they investigated a blown up Glock on the training range at Los Alamos. Standard proceedure was to unload guns after a shift and then reload the next time. They found noticeable variations in height of the rechambered ammo.

Ken
Looks like ill be tossing out my top round in my carry mags. thanks for the input

A 1911 Addict
Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 AM

This haas probably been answered before:
Can I use any single sided thumb safety to replace the ambi safety? Mine keeps getting swept off by various impacts.
"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world, The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere The ceremony of innocence is drowned; The best lack all conviction, while the worst Are full of passionate intensity." -Yeats
Old 04-04-2011, 02:13 AM

Well, this weekend I swapped the ambi safety for a single side and put a Harrison trigger in the EMP.
I like the single side saftey since it makes the pistol thinner.
It was the first one I have fitted.
But it snaps on and off just like the stock ambi did.
I used a lot of info in this thread alone and it helped me immensely.
Mostly thanks to Quack and mhillsing23 for their input.

The trigger was fairly easy to fit as well.
I like the smooth face and the color of the Harrison trigger, but I'll admit I'm going to try a 10-8 flat trigger on my RIA.

I got both parts from Brownells.

Pics also include my modded mag, thank you log man..

Compared to the stock ambi and trigger..

I just need to figure out my sight situation..
I think I'm going to install a 10-8 rear first and see if that fixes things for me.
I just don't like the silver rings on the stock EMP rear sight.
My old eyes focus on them instead of the front sight.
If the front sight is still hard to see, I'm going with the 10-8 rear and the XS standard dot.
I also plan to eventually get CCR to refinish the slide in black, probably Cerahide.

Last edited by zippy357; 04-04-2011 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:20 AM

I'm in this camp also...I spoke with Deb and I'm going to send my slide to SA and have them install a 10-8 rear and gold bead upfront. In retrospect, I should have done the work at the last trip to the custom shop..oh well hind sight is afterall 20-20!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:55 PM

Emp

PURCHASED ONE TODAY. CANT WAIT TO RECEIVE IT.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SICAR187 View Post
PURCHASED ONE TODAY. CANT WAIT TO RECEIVE IT.
Congratulations you will love it. Hope yours runs as good as mine.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken45101 View Post

Some manufacturers recommend rechambering a round no more than a couple of times at most.

If you are going to practice this way, I suggest you mark your practice ammo and never shoot it!

Ken
Here's another train of thought with plenty of merit.....snap caps are relatively inexpensive, by a set and use them for loading/chamering/extracting. It makes more sense that messing up perfectly good ammo.