1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-15-2010, 10:33 AM
mopar what else mopar what else is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
M-1911 by S.A.M.




Years ago I bought a 1911, my first and favorite handgun. Of course after firing a few hundred rounds through it, I wanted to customize it to my taste, I am a amature gunsmith only to mine and my familes rifles and hand guns. This gun was made in the philippines by S.A.M. and imported by CAI. Georgia,VT. I was told its a copy of the colt and looks almost like a Charles Daly. It has a 4 1/2" barrel, straight. So here are my some of my mods and questions.
1. Whats the history on S.A.M.?
2. I put in a full guide rod, shock buffer, comp springs (all from wilson) and shot many rounds trought it. It shot great.
3. I polished the feed ramp and it solved the feed issue.
4. I put in a ajustible trigger, light hammer and matched sear, all from wilson. Now my grip saftey doesn't work and sometimes the hammer will not engauge (cock position), either when slide is racked or manualy pull the hammer back.

My next major purchase is a conceal beltless holder, and a laser sights. Any information is welcomed.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Caspian17 Caspian17 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar what else View Post
Years ago I bought a 1911, my first and favorite handgun. Of course after firing a few hundred rounds through it, I wanted to customize it to my taste, I am a amature gunsmith only to mine and my familes rifles and hand guns. This gun was made in the philippines by S.A.M. and imported by CAI. Georgia,VT. I was told its a copy of the colt and looks almost like a Charles Daly. It has a 4 1/2" barrel, straight. So here are my some of my mods and questions.
1. Whats the history on S.A.M.?
2. I put in a full guide rod, shock buffer, comp springs (all from wilson) and shot many rounds trought it. It shot great.
3. I polished the feed ramp and it solved the feed issue.
4. I put in a ajustible trigger, light hammer and matched sear, all from wilson. Now my grip saftey doesn't work and sometimes the hammer will not engauge (cock position), either when slide is racked or manualy pull the hammer back.

My next major purchase is a conceal beltless holder, and a laser sights. Any information is welcomed.
I don't know much about S.A.M. as I do not like the Phillipino based guns, I have a RIA that is a beater gun. Are you sure it is a 4.5" barrel? Common sizes are 5", 4.25", 4", 3.5", 3". 4.5 would be a weird variation that you would never be able to find a barrel for.

If you just dropped the ignition parts in (your trigger, hammer, and sear) and didn't do any fitting it would cause this issue. Take it to a smith. This is the problem with "amateur" gunsmiths. The other stuff you put on, are drop in parts. The trigger parts are never "drop in" you should either A: know what you are doing before hand (AKA read up) B: have a gunsmith do it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-15-2010, 11:08 AM
mopar what else mopar what else is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
I just measured it from the outside of the gun and its more than likely a 3 1/2". I do own 2 springfields also which I havn't altered and don't plan too. Like all things in my life I like learning how things work and I try to make them better. I build my own fishing rods, make my reels cast farther, I finished bulding a 440 for my dart and I reload for all my ammo for my rifles. I started this 1911 project and stopped about 11 years ago, I don't remember that much info on the net back then. Now I have money and patience, I want to leanr the right way myself, If I send it to a gunsmith then I learned nothing. What are the best , if any, gunsmith books on the 1911?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-15-2010, 02:51 PM
DivePanama DivePanama is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
Age: 50
Posts: 5,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar what else View Post
Years ago I bought a 1911, my first and favorite handgun. Of course after firing a few hundred rounds through it, I wanted to customize it to my taste, I am a amature gunsmith only to mine and my familes rifles and hand guns. This gun was made in the philippines by S.A.M. and imported by CAI. Georgia,VT. I was told its a copy of the colt and looks almost like a Charles Daly. It has a 4 1/2" barrel, straight. So here are my some of my mods and questions.
1. Whats the history on S.A.M.?
2. I put in a full guide rod, shock buffer, comp springs (all from wilson) and shot many rounds trought it. It shot great.
3. I polished the feed ramp and it solved the feed issue.
4. I put in a ajustible trigger, light hammer and matched sear, all from wilson. Now my grip saftey doesn't work and sometimes the hammer will not engauge (cock position), either when slide is racked or manualy pull the hammer back.

My next major purchase is a conceal beltless holder, and a laser sights. Any information is welcomed.
1. S.A.M is one of the 3 big firearms makers out of the Phillipines. The other two are Metro Arms and Armscor. S.A.M is a big time supplier of military grade weapon to the P.A.F (Phillipine Armed Forces)

2. Awesome.

3. Awesome.

4. I would take it to a 'smith and have the parts properly fitted. Personally I am not a big fan of any DIY work that involves the sear or safety of any firearm. The only exception for me is the AR style trigger groups since those are self-contained modular components.

As far as the quality of S.A.M, I honestly don't know. Metro Arms and Armscor are making very good weapons and both have excellent customer support. Some folks don't care for them but I look at those like the stupid Chevy vs Ford/Harley vs import debates Both are inbred redneck arguments as far as I am concerned

Good luck with the sear/safety issue. As far as the gunsmithing questions, go to the gunsmithing section of this forum and ask there. There are some top notch guys over there, LOGMAN is one that comes to mind off the top of my head.

Regards,
__________________
COTEP member
NRA Endowment Life Member
Retired Paratrooper-Master Rated
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Caspian17 Caspian17 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,944
Good to know you think a lot of people are inbred rednecks dive.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-15-2010, 04:29 PM
walter o walter o is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hammond In.
Posts: 274
dive&caspian WHY don,t you both let it go. In 2013 no one will care or remember . I think if their is a GOD he loves you both .
And i won my bet
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-15-2010, 04:37 PM
mopar what else mopar what else is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
My first post here and new I would get an ear full of do's and don'ts and I really do appricieate the info. I just need to learn how to be a better gun smith, and if the money is there I might just pay off a gun smith to show me how to fix mine.

Oh yea, after reading through several threads, I see dive&caspian has a little rivaly going on, sounds like our fishing forum at 2coolfishing.

Again I truely appricieate the info.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Caspian17 Caspian17 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,944
Check your sear relationship, also look into why your GS isn't working. Remove the TS and check function.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-15-2010, 04:57 PM
mopar what else mopar what else is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspian17 View Post
Check your sear relationship, also look into why your GS isn't working. Remove the TS and check function.
I just took the slide off and looked inside and notice the "tang" in the saftey grip is not touching the back of the trigger by about 1/8". I do recall Wilson Combat said to install their grip but I stayed away from that due to the fact I have to "fit" it, also I put my own finish on it and really didn't want to redo it, hindsite I would have done it cause I'm confident I can "fit" it easily. I can easily extend that "tang" if that would solve the saftey issue. I'm going to look into the tigger will not stay, this one I'm not shure about. I'm currently looking for details on this.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:01 PM
DivePanama DivePanama is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
Age: 50
Posts: 5,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspian17 View Post
Good to know you think a lot of people are inbred rednecks dive.
No, just mostly you and folks that make those arguments Any other questions on that, feel free to PM me

Regards,
__________________
COTEP member
NRA Endowment Life Member
Retired Paratrooper-Master Rated
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:02 PM
DivePanama DivePanama is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
Age: 50
Posts: 5,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar what else View Post
My first post here and new I would get an ear full of do's and don'ts and I really do appricieate the info. I just need to learn how to be a better gun smith, and if the money is there I might just pay off a gun smith to show me how to fix mine.

Oh yea, after reading through several threads, I see dive&caspian has a little rivaly going on, sounds like our fishing forum at 2coolfishing.

Again I truely appricieate the info.
No problem.
__________________
COTEP member
NRA Endowment Life Member
Retired Paratrooper-Master Rated
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:03 PM
DivePanama DivePanama is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
Age: 50
Posts: 5,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter o View Post
dive&caspian WHY don,t you both let it go. In 2013 no one will care or remember . I think if their is a GOD he loves you both .
And i won my bet
Which bet was that

Regards,
__________________
COTEP member
NRA Endowment Life Member
Retired Paratrooper-Master Rated
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:05 PM
SuHu SuHu is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NM
Posts: 3,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivePanama View Post
No, just mostly you and folks that make those arguments Any other questions on that, feel free to PM me

Regards,
Why PM you when he can make jabs at you in discussions you've no part of?

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...34#post2489534
__________________
“It is not a crime to be here illegally,” -B. Loewe, Spokesman for the National Day Laborers Organizing Network.
"I do believe that it’s the first time in history that fire has ever melted steel.... It is physically impossible." — Rosie O’Donnell
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:15 PM
DivePanama DivePanama is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
Age: 50
Posts: 5,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandupHookup View Post
Why PM you when he can make jabs at you in discussions you've no part of?

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...34#post2489534
That way the thread stays publicly civil. Hmmm, BTW you are part of this how

Regards,
__________________
COTEP member
NRA Endowment Life Member
Retired Paratrooper-Master Rated
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:16 PM
SuHu SuHu is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NM
Posts: 3,850
Their website is at: http://www.shootersarms.com.ph/firea...tail.php?id=24
Has quite a bit of information, and may satisfy your request for history.

SAM's aren't bad at all. My younger brother owned a Commander length SAM, and to my knowledge was 100% reliable.
__________________
“It is not a crime to be here illegally,” -B. Loewe, Spokesman for the National Day Laborers Organizing Network.
"I do believe that it’s the first time in history that fire has ever melted steel.... It is physically impossible." — Rosie O’Donnell
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:21 PM
mopar what else mopar what else is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandupHookup View Post
Their website is at: http://www.shootersarms.com.ph/firea...tail.php?id=24
Has quite a bit of information, and may satisfy your request for history.

SAM's aren't bad at all. My younger brother owned a Commander length SAM, and to my knowledge was 100% reliable.
Thanks for that link. That is the same one I have. I notice too that the rear site sits far back, was that the military issued style, I notice makers like kimber and others their rear site is closer to the front site.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:25 PM
SuHu SuHu is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NM
Posts: 3,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar what else View Post
Thanks for that link. That is the same one I have. I notice too that the rear site sits far back, was that the military issued style, I notice makers like kimber and others their rear site is closer to the front site.
Yep, that looks like a gi dovetail. The rear sights you're probably thinking of are fit into aftermarket sight cuts, such as novak, heinie, etc.
__________________
“It is not a crime to be here illegally,” -B. Loewe, Spokesman for the National Day Laborers Organizing Network.
"I do believe that it’s the first time in history that fire has ever melted steel.... It is physically impossible." — Rosie O’Donnell
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:29 PM
mopar what else mopar what else is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandupHookup View Post
Yep, that looks like a gi dovetail. The rear sights you're probably thinking of are fit into aftermarket sight cuts, such as novak, heinie, etc.
On mine it looks like a sloppy cut on the dove tail, looks as if its cut deeper on the back side. I was planning on an adjustible trigger but if its cut wrong then that will be another problem.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:31 PM
SuHu SuHu is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NM
Posts: 3,850
Hmm, might you can post a picture of what you think the problem is, we might be able to help you out!
__________________
“It is not a crime to be here illegally,” -B. Loewe, Spokesman for the National Day Laborers Organizing Network.
"I do believe that it’s the first time in history that fire has ever melted steel.... It is physically impossible." — Rosie O’Donnell
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:31 PM
mopar what else mopar what else is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
Ok the tang on the GS was short, thats why wilson said use their SG with their trigger. Pulled out trusty welder and files and fixed the problem with the grip in 30 min.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:47 PM
mopar what else mopar what else is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandupHookup View Post
Hmm, might you can post a picture of what you think the problem is, we might be able to help you out!
Here are some of the pics I have. The rear sight was hard to focus.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01258.jpg   DSC01259.jpg   DSC01261.jpg   DSC01272.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:51 PM
DivePanama DivePanama is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
Age: 50
Posts: 5,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar what else View Post
Here are some of the pics I have. The rear sight was hard to focus.
Have you tried posting these in the gunsmithing section?
__________________
COTEP member
NRA Endowment Life Member
Retired Paratrooper-Master Rated
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:57 PM
SuHu SuHu is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NM
Posts: 3,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar what else View Post
Here are some of the pics I have. The rear sight was hard to focus.
Is the sight loose? Like DP said, you can probably get a word on how to fix that (if possible), if you post it in the smithing forum. I'll wager if it isn't loose, then it's just a cosmetic issue.
__________________
“It is not a crime to be here illegally,” -B. Loewe, Spokesman for the National Day Laborers Organizing Network.
"I do believe that it’s the first time in history that fire has ever melted steel.... It is physically impossible." — Rosie O’Donnell
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:59 PM
mopar what else mopar what else is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivePanama View Post
Have you tried posting these in the gunsmithing section?
Not yet, I probly should since now I just need help with the smithing. I might have solved my problem. Also I realized if I just read through the gun smith side then I would have solved most of my issues. Very good site and quick responses.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-15-2010, 08:09 PM
mopar what else mopar what else is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
Problem solve, got my SG back along with all my safeties and the trigger stays cocked. Trigger very light and crisp. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2011 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved