1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 01-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Banned

Opinions on this case...

The following was brought up in another thread as an example, but not to be discussed as it were slightly different than the topic.

However, I am curious as to what everyone think's of the gun owner's actions in the situation. (please view him as just another law abiding gun owner)

Quote:
...The gun owner in this story is Marcus Lutrell. He is an ex navy SEAL... He is also an author of a book called Lone Survivor, it's a recount of an operation Red Wing.

Marcuse's interview with Glen Beck to set the background for the story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRHTJyuXzhQ

Audio of the 911 call
http://blogshevik.com/2009/04/07/the...texas-rangers/
My specific curiosity is the following:

Do you believe he did the right thing? (explain your thoughts)
Do you believe (in this situation) he was treated special because of who/what he is/was?
Do you believe it's right to pursue someone in this manner? (for any life-based reason or involvement in a shooting, not theft of property)
Would you expect to be arrested for doing something similar?
Would you do the same? (pursue a criminal to this extent)

I know some of this is questionable due to (your) location. So, let's pretend you are in a state that allows castle doctrine, protection of life, property, etc and not a "retreat" state. (no open carry)

I am genuinely interested in everyone's thoughts on this case - from the gun owner's actions only. I am not interested about the topic of the wrong-doers. I am examining the the gun owner's actions only. However, feel free to put another's life in your example as I don't think any of us would pursue for property.

I am also unaware if he actually brandished his weapon upon the stop. Regardless, the cop(s) should have been aware he was armed.

Now, reading my questions above, I would like to add a follow-up. Would you believe the actions to be justified if this had been the shooting of a person? Would you pursue in that situation? (assuming someone were there to aid the victim)

As I am new here, I apologize if I have posted anything not within forum boundaries. I am genuinely interested in this case/situation. I don't want to see this get closed, so please respect other's opinions.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:58 AM

My take...

I'm only 30 years old, and don't have any experience in these matters. However, i'm also a former Marine, and because of that, I feel very confident in my weapons-handling abilities and the ability for me to protect myself with no weapons. I'm no Seagal, but I have been trained well enough (i hope ) in hand-to-hand to either subdue my opponent or at least deliver a few blows to allow me to retreat to a safe place. I say all that, I guess, just to say that i'm not easily intimidated, and when angry, tend to go with my emotions and not my sensibility.

Yes, I believe he absolutely did the right thing. I've stated in a different thread, about this case, that my dog is one of my children. If you hurt her or kill her, you won't be getting away with it.

I don't think who he was had anything to do with how he was treated. I listened to the 911 call and none of the dispatchers seemed to know him from Adam. Possibly at the end of the chase, when he talked to the LEO and explained who he was and what happened, he may have gotten special treatment. I suppose only they'll know that.

The pursuit...I can say that I would have done the same thing. He alerted his mother as to what was happening, and if the dog was still alive, she could have taken care of that situation. Is it smart and safe to drive 110 mph through 4 counties chasing someone? Probably not, but they just killed a member of his family!

I'm not entirely clear on the laws in MN when it comes to pursuing, but I do know that it's not recommended by the LEO's i've talked to in the past. I guess I would expect a LEO to arrest me for the numerous traffic violations, but that wouldn't deter me from the pursuit. These scumbags would get followed till a LEO took over!

After watching the interview and listening to the 911 call, I believe he pulled his Beretta after the chase ended. He pulled around the car and blocked them from the front. He then moved to the back of the truck and took cover behind the tailgate and had his weapon trained on them. He had informed dispatch numerous times on the phone that he had (2) Beretta 9mm pistols, so they knew he was armed. He told dispatch they'd better get a LEO there cause it might turn into a gun fight.

If you listen to the call, at the end he says to the officer; "Yes sir, I was just backing you up." The LEO must have said something to him about holstering his sidearm at that point. You can also hear him say, "whichever one of you mother f'ers shot my dog, you're gonna pay!"

All that being said, I 100% agree with his decision to give chase, and I also agree 100% with the local law enforcement not arresting him. I think he's proven once again that he's an American Hero!!

Sorry it's such a lengthy reply. I get to typing.....
Old 01-13-2010, 01:27 PM

Low down scum of the earth. 2 years is very far from enough punishment for shooting a dog. Maybe something will happen to them in prison, one can only hope. I do believe that the world is spherical and what comes around goes around, they will get what is due to them sooner or later, probably later. It just bad karma to shoot a friendly dog.