1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 AM

"BEST" gun lube for 1911??

I've heard all kinds of recommendations, but what's the most reliable lube you can recommend for slides and moving parts on guns?... is grease better? ... has anyone used FP-10 lube? or Eezox? I have a Springer Loaded and will be taking it to the range with regular commercial loads...nothing heavy duty....so ANY info would be great!...thanks!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:12 AM

all of what you said works the list, ask what lube people use you'll get 80 responses. I like oil on what rotates and grease on what slides, as small an amount as surface covering.

I like rig on the raies and remoil on the moving parts, and CLP on the pins.

want something very cheap and effective? mobil 1.

want something crazy effective? wilson lube is awesome.

Last edited by yocan; 01-07-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:13 AM

Check this out until the other fellows arise.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...highlight=lube

Regards,
Kur
COFFEE Club member #2
Old 01-07-2010, 01:16 AM

And this,

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...ight=1911+lube

Kur
COFFEE Club member #2
Old 01-07-2010, 03:47 AM

wow... i knew there were gonna be differing views...but didn't expect this much info... all these polls and links to threads have been really helpful...thank you!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 08:01 AM

Lube selection depends alot on your environment, temperature and if the gun is for carry or range (some products can be more suited for carry) that's why there are so many products out there. Adding to newb confusion is the internet wisdom about a particular product and manufacturer's touting their product to be the best out there.

Since you mention your gun is for the range, I run my 1911's wet w/ FP-10 and this works well. Lube selection does really matter as long as you keep your gun wet w/ a quality synthetic gun oil or even Mobil 1 oil at the range and you clean/relube when you get home. In heavy range sessions I relube my 1911's every 150 rounds.

Check this link out:

http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-...ting-the-1911/

"I believe it was Shaw who said Winter is not a season; it's an occupation."

"You're disturbing what's left of my brain." - Jack Rebney

Last edited by leade45; 01-07-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:28 AM

There is no best and many good enough.

There is no best and many good enough.

Used motor oil drippings from a dip stick are better than dry.

I don't doubt that clean Mobil 1 from a fresh can would be even better and that some of the full synthetic gear lubes and heavier weights do just fine as well.

I mostly use Weaponshield or FP10 for oil TW25 for grease and SlideGlide (? spelling) from Brian Enos for games or for high round count exercises but not for carry myself.

If Bill Wilson's miracle stuff sold at the local K-Mart for a dollar a syringe I'd use that and be happy and likewise with any one of several other products. Dave Berryhill and Hilton Yam each sell a marvelous lube - if either one of those were at the local mega mart for a dollar a gallon I'd use that - likely the best for a pure lube but maybe not for a CLP.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:53 AM

Has anybody ever used STP?

Has anybody ever tried motor honey like STP or the Wal-mart equelivent on slide rails or any other part of a 1911 or any other semi-auto., alone or mixed with something else? I haven't, but it seems that as thiick (but not as thick as greese) as it is, it would be cleaner but still migrate around and as slippery as it is it would be a great long lasting lube.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Banned

I'm wondering if I should do a torture test with one of my 1911's to see what one holds up the best in Michigan weather, where it is negative numbers with windchill, with a gun I know won't mess up 500 rounds between lubing... oh the possibilities... accepting oil/grease/ammo now!
Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers View Post

Used motor oil drippings from a dip stick are better than dry.
I wouldn't use used motor oil unless it was a true SHTF scenario and every other lube was gone. There is a reason we replace the oil every so many miles, it gets beat up and contaminated.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbybum View Post
I wouldn't use used motor oil unless it was a true SHTF scenario and every other lube was gone. There is a reason we replace the oil every so many miles, it gets beat up and contaminated.
Wait a sec... we change oil at 3k miles after the engine runs at say an average of 2500 rpm while running between 160-230 degrees steady temp. and you say it gets beat up while shooting a gun... you sir make no sense. Motor oil is a GREAT lube for any gun, especially the thicker varieties as they offer not only lubrication, but a more affordable lubrication, I used to buy FP-10, then I tried motor oil, $8 1 Fl OZ of FP-10, $5 1 QT of oil that goes in a syringe, I think the motor oil is gonna last a good long time.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:38 AM

Caspian17, the oil gets beat up in the engine, not a gun. I said I wouldn't use used motor oil because of the gasoline, dirt and moisture that gets into the oil.

A fresh can of good quality motor oil is no problem, the old stuff after 5,000 miles is a problem.

Please reread my post. I think you missed something.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:51 AM

I use 20W50 Mobil 1 V-Twin oil for air cooled engines(air cooled engines run hotter than water cooled) Cheaper than gun oils and I think it works better. I use it in all weather conditions and never have had a problem in cold temps.

BK

http://www.udrange.com/

Videos
Old 01-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbybum View Post
Caspian17, the oil gets beat up in the engine, not a gun. I said I wouldn't use used motor oil because of the gasoline, dirt and moisture that gets into the oil.

A fresh can of good quality motor oil is no problem, the old stuff after 5,000 miles is a problem.

Please reread my post. I think you missed something.
I did... I still think used motor oil is better than nothing... if it doesn't kill your engine (my truck goes 5k miles between oil changes) than it isn't going to hurt your gun... not ideal... but it would work.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:30 PM

Comparing lubes many times is a "coin toss". There are many good ones out there. When I got my first Kimber, it came with a sample packet of FP-10. Then I bought a container of it and I never had any problems.

Recently, I switched over to Wilson's Ultima Lube and it appears to be doing the job just fine.

I also bought a syringe tube of Wilson's grease. First time I've used any type of grease and I have to say that I'm impressed.

So I'm using a combination of lube and grease and don't see a reason why I would change that routine.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:41 PM

Like has been mentioned, a good rule of thumb is to use lower viscosity lube/protectant on the springs & other parts and higher viscosity lube (grease) on the slide. I've used Tetra gun grease on the slides of my pistols for years and Rem, Browning or other gun oil on the other parts.

The thicker stuff on the slides helps it stay in place better than oil and with it not dripping everywhere it doesn't collect debris as readily. While the thinner stuff gets down into the cracks and crevices to lube and protect the smaller parts better.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:29 PM

Wet is better than dry, some wet is better than other wet.

Wet is better than dry, some wet is better than other wet. Quoting Pat Rogers:

Quote:
I have used every type of lube imaginable, going from WD-40 (especially good when you have a dirty gun), to 3 in 1 oil, suntan lotion, butter and even Vagisil
ó donít laugh, it works. I may not want to use any of them for the long haul, but for a quick fix, it beats having a non-functioning gun.
Pat Rogers for S.W.A.T. magazine a copy of the article can be read at: http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf

Mr. Rogers likes Slip 2000 and TW25B among other things. I can say for myself that in the '60's of the last century when motor oils weren't what they are today drippings from a dip stick kept a subgun running smoothly after it had choked once. I did not say nor imply that it's my first choice - I did specify what I used for a 1911 and similar firearms along with a suggestion that what I choose to use is likely no better than many other products. Today with the vastly improved motor oils I'd be not all hesitant to use dipstick drippings in preference to dry for many applications but of course only as a field expedient.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelgunner22 View Post
Has anybody ever tried motor honey like STP or the Wal-mart equelivent on slide rails or any other part of a 1911 or any other semi-auto., alone or mixed with something else? I haven't, but it seems that as thiick (but not as thick as greese) as it is, it would be cleaner but still migrate around and as slippery as it is it would be a great long lasting lube.
I read one opinion regarding this. Said mixture of 40% Auto. Trans. Fluid & 60% STP was best you could use as a lube for the slide. I've used ATF & like it, but haven't tried it mixed with STP. I do know that STP mixed with motor oil is slicker than owl _____!!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:45 AM

This is a subject that has been beaten to death. You know we have this neat feature called "SEARCH" that can be used to research the subject.

Closed.
TFL #296 -- MOLON LABE Leonidas c 480 BC -- FFF
If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!
Do Not Irk The Forum Curmudgeon
Harold V. B: 03/28/11 D: 11/23/07 Dad, I'll miss you.
Closed Thread