1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Dan Wesson

Old 01-03-2010, 04:53 PM

Hammer won't stay cocked.

I've had the .45 CBOB for over a year now. Maybe 1,000 rounds fired. Went to the range today and the hammer won't stay cocked after firing a round and chambering the next round. I have to pull the hammer back and it will remain cocked until I pull the trigger, but then won't go back to cock again unless I pull it. Range attendant looked at it and it's probably a sear pin. I will take it to a gunsmith, just thought I would ask for opinions. Would this be considered warranty work? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMaxx View Post
I've had the .45 CBOB for over a year now. Maybe 1,000 rounds fired. Went to the range today and the hammer won't stay cocked after firing a round and chambering the next round. I have to pull the hammer back and it will remain cocked until I pull the trigger, but then won't go back to cock again unless I pull it. Range attendant looked at it and it's probably a sear pin. I will take it to a gunsmith, just thought I would ask for opinions. Would this be considered warranty work? Thanks.
Yes it would be warranty work. Try using another mag and unload the gun and see if it makes any difference. If not I would send it back to have looked at.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Banned

This may be something as simple as your adjustment on the trigger moving to the point where it does not permit the hammer to reset. Please see another recent thread on hammer following. Hope this helps.

Here is the link:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=255447
Old 01-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Banned

Sounds like the above rsponse^

I had the same issue with mine at about 500 rds. it took a while, but the overtravel screw eventually worked itself out of adjusment. It will not allow the trigger to reset, so it just falls foreward along with the slide. Even made mine go into full auto for a couple shots.

Keith will chime in and give you the official fix, but I just pulled mine out and reinstalled with a little locktite on the screw... fixed her right up!

**Dave- Now that's a meaningful contribution to this foum.... so that makes, I think 3 now.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:10 PM

Man you got me worried about mine. I am going to have it looked at just incase. I need to know my gun is reliable. This is the second time in 2 days for the same issue. I have a hard time believing the trigger is the cause of this. It sounds like a Sear issue. I wish that someone would get to the bottom of these dangerous situations.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Banned

Keith is here. You can give him a call at Dan Wesson, or just PM him here... you won't get that kind of CS anywhere else.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:03 PM

Wow, the replies hit home. About a month ago I went shooting and the pistol was double tapping/fully automatic on me. It freaked me out so bad that I put it away. I thought I was doing something wrong. I cleaned it up when I got home and went shooting today for the first time and now the hammer is acting goofy. I'll check the items as suggested and contact DW CS. I have been shooting for almost 40 years and never has a symptom freaked me out like this one.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMaxx View Post
Wow, the replies hit home. About a month ago I went shooting and the pistol was double tapping/fully automatic on me. It freaked me out so bad that I put it away. I thought I was doing something wrong. I cleaned it up when I got home and went shooting today for the first time and now the hammer is acting goofy. I'll check the items as suggested and contact DW CS. I have been shooting for almost 40 years and never has a symptom freaked me out like this one.
I bet that does get your attention! Guess it didn't double on ya today since the hammer followed the slide. Gots to be a sear problem I'd think.