1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-01-2010, 01:43 PM
kanewolf kanewolf is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Load data for 45 ACP with Universal Clays and 230 gr FMJ




Does anyone have a good load for 45 ACP with Universal Clays and 230 gr. FMJ? I have not been able to find much other than the one recipe on the Hodgdon site.

The Hodgdon site says 5.1 to 5.6 grains with 230 gr. HDY FMJ FP I think the FP indicates Flat Point which would seem to account for their 1.2" COL?

I started with 5.2 grains and worked up to the 5.6. Burns clean but definitely seem very light. They do cycle reliably through my Kimber Ultra Carry II though.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Vincent Vega Vincent Vega is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Georgia
Age: 33
Posts: 1,020
I don't have my reloading manuals with me but try these links out.
http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/default.asp
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

I load 230 gr FMJ with 4.9 gr of Win 231. Both powders are similar in burning speeds and load within 1-.5 gr of each other.
I think Win 231 started out at 4.5 gr but I started out at 4.7 and got great results, though it was quite soft. I bumped it up to 4.9 and got a nice amount of recoil and really clean brass afterward.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-01-2010, 07:15 PM
PPC'r PPC'r is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12
I use 4.0grs. of Hodgdon Clays (not Universal) with 230gr FMJ bullets. COL 1.25". This is a very mild and well functioning load for all my 1911's
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-01-2010, 10:06 PM
1911forty5 1911forty5 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 67
Lee manual suggests 6.0gr Universal but Hodgdon suggests 5.6 max.

I am not using FP but you may want to use a caliper to measure the diagonal, flat tip corner to opposite case corner - doing the say with a cartridge that will feed, such as a FMJ.

Width and length are not the only contributing factors. Lengths can be as short as 1" to 1.250, depending on the bullet being used.

1911forty5
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-01-2010, 11:36 PM
robctwo robctwo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 869
5.9, 6.0 and 6.1 Universal, 230 gr Zero fmj, 1.25 OAL works like a champ in all my 1911s. Good stout load for bowling pins.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Nass Nass is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanewolf View Post
Does anyone have a good load for 45 ACP with Universal Clays and 230 gr. FMJ?
Are you really using Universal? If Clays, I have plenty of exp...
__________________
COTEP Disciple
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-02-2010, 08:17 AM
kanewolf kanewolf is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Thanks for the replies. I was reluctant to use 6.0 grains even though I have seen it published various places. The highest that Hodgdon lists for the 230 FMJ is 5.6 gr.

I just thought 5.6 gr. felt fairly light judging from the recoil and the distance the shells ejected compared to factory loads.

I do like how clean Universal burns and I have a good supply on hand since it is my powder of choice for 28 gauge skeet loads.

I am mostly concerned about generating excess pressure in order to achieve reasonable speed. Also, if I understand correctly there will be some loss of speed (maybe pressure too?) since I am shooting from a 3" barrel in my Kimber.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-02-2010, 02:02 PM
CryingWolf CryingWolf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 405
One of the reasons I need to pick up chronograph.

A good recipe with Universal for me is 5.4grains under a 230grain LRN bullet. Great accuracy out of my full size SA. I haven't tried them out of my 1991 colt commander yet.
__________________
This is a test of my signature, if this had been an actual signature you would be instructed to read very carefully.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-02-2010, 02:35 PM
herd48 herd48 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West By God Virginia
Posts: 4,553
I have used many pounds of Univ Clays. But with 200gr LSWC's. Good powder. Clean burning. But will leave unburned powder everywhere at lower powder charges. If this happens...bump the load up. Within spec of course. Unburned powder problem will go away.
__________________
I'm the NRA
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-02-2010, 03:49 PM
1911forty5 1911forty5 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by herd48 View Post
I have used many pounds of Univ Clays. But with 200gr LSWC's. Good powder. Clean burning. But will leave unburned powder everywhere at lower powder charges. If this happens...bump the load up. Within spec of course. Unburned powder problem will go away.
Sometimes this can be rectified with a little tighter crimp (and also bumping up the load within specs.) I also have read somewhere that by tilting the gun back just before firing will place powder in the pocket for better ignition. (???)

1911forty5
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-02-2010, 03:53 PM
tsp45acp tsp45acp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Greensboro, N.C.
Age: 53
Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanewolf View Post
Thanks for the replies. I was reluctant to use 6.0 grains even though I have seen it published various places. The highest that Hodgdon lists for the 230 FMJ is 5.6 gr.

I just thought 5.6 gr. felt fairly light judging from the recoil and the distance the shells ejected compared to factory loads.

I do like how clean Universal burns and I have a good supply on hand since it is my powder of choice for 28 gauge skeet loads.

I am mostly concerned about generating excess pressure in order to achieve reasonable speed. Also, if I understand correctly there will be some loss of speed (maybe pressure too?) since I am shooting from a 3" barrel in my Kimber.

Is it an actual max load or just the highest load they published? Often you have to look at the PSI/CUP to see if it's a true max load. Most of Hodgdons Unique loads only go up to 11K-15K published loads. Nowhere near a max load.
__________________
Tracy # 16000
1988 Colt Delta Elite, 2001 Colt LTW Commander XSE, 2003 Colt Gunsite Nite Sites, 2009 DoubleStarr Ar-15,
1996 Colt Special Combat 45 ACP(Carry version- Blued w/ Nite sites)--Wife's gun, 1998 SA Comped Longslide 45 Super/45-08 Armco, 1997 SA V-10--Wife's gun 04/98-Lee Pro 1000
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-02-2010, 05:32 PM
TheGerk TheGerk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northern California
Age: 59
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanewolf View Post
Thanks for the replies. I was reluctant to use 6.0 grains even though I have seen it published various places. The highest that Hodgdon lists for the 230 FMJ is 5.6 gr.

I just thought 5.6 gr. felt fairly light judging from the recoil and the distance the shells ejected compared to factory loads.

I do like how clean Universal burns and I have a good supply on hand since it is my powder of choice for 28 gauge skeet loads.

I am mostly concerned about generating excess pressure in order to achieve reasonable speed. Also, if I understand correctly there will be some loss of speed (maybe pressure too?) since I am shooting from a 3" barrel in my Kimber.
I don’t know how much accuracy you need for this 3” belly gun
But I worked up an accurate Universal load in my Kimber SM and a couple of Colt 5” guns

6.2grs. of Universal under a Winchester 230gr. JHP bullet, Fed LP primer and a COAL of 1.260” is very consistent.

This may be over the max in the Hodgdon manual but I see no signs of over pressure in my loadings.
I have seen even higher charge weights in other published data.

If this is a carry piece I might use some caution trying to over speed the cartridge in sub 4” guns.
Going to fast may upset the reliability in the short tubed 1911 gun.
I would not trade a few FPS gain in a 3 incher over rock solid reliability.
If possible I would chronograph some of the preferred factory defensive ammunition in the 3 incher that proves reliable and load to match that speed if possible.
Cyclic rate, recoil impulse and slide velocity seem to be pretty important to the short tube 1911’s

If in doubt stick to the Hodgdon max recipe or watch for signs on the cartridge as you work it up.
Seat long if you can, watch the primers and measure the cases for excessive case head expansion, especially if the chamber is unsupported.
You know, the usual rituals.
Good Luck
__________________

To be proficient with Firearms the endeavor must be applied similarly as in Golf or Boxing, you have to put the Rounds in! - Gerk

Gerk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-02-2010, 06:19 PM
kanewolf kanewolf is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. I am new to reloading pistol ammo although I have loaded zillions of shotgun shells for years. Just bought the Hornady LNL and am very much enjoying learning to use it.

The pressure listed by Hodgdon for maximum loads with any of their powders and a 230 grain bullet is 17,200 CUP.

I have a borrowed chrono and it is reading factory UMC Remingtons at about 720 fps from my 3" Kimber. With a 5.6 grain load I am only reading about 600 fps and wondering if this is a problem. Very low recoil and no feeding problems and the empties land very close compared to factory. I am not necessarily looking for high velocity, just wondering if there is any reason why I should be loading closer to the factory loads or if there is any reason not to shoot such a light load.

I am seating to 1.255" and so far all the loads have cycled without any issues

As far as the accuracy, I am impressed - the 3 inch Kimber appears to much more accurate that I am.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-02-2010, 07:12 PM
CryingWolf CryingWolf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanewolf View Post
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. I am new to reloading pistol ammo although I have loaded zillions of shotgun shells for years. Just bought the Hornady LNL and am very much enjoying learning to use it.

The pressure listed by Hodgdon for maximum loads with any of their powders and a 230 grain bullet is 17,200 CUP.

I have a borrowed chrono and it is reading factory UMC Remingtons at about 720 fps from my 3" Kimber. With a 5.6 grain load I am only reading about 600 fps and wondering if this is a problem. Very low recoil and no feeding problems and the empties land very close compared to factory. I am not necessarily looking for high velocity, just wondering if there is any reason why I should be loading closer to the factory loads or if there is any reason not to shoot such a light load.

I am seating to 1.255" and so far all the loads have cycled without any issues

As far as the accuracy, I am impressed - the 3 inch Kimber appears to much more accurate that I am.
I don't see 6.0 grains being a problem. It is good you have a chrono to barrow. If 5.6 seems a bit light then bump it up a .1 or .2 at a time and see what it does. Look for pressure signs etc.

The recipe I gave above, 5.4g with 230g LRN, could very much be slow with low recoil. They do seem to have a much lower recoil then factory loads. I don't have a chrono yet.

I think the whole point is really to start out with a round under the max recommended powder level then work your way up. Using a chrono and checking for pressure signs.
__________________
This is a test of my signature, if this had been an actual signature you would be instructed to read very carefully.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2011 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved