1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:35 PM

Remsport 1911 Frame

I contacted Remsport today and they say they have a few forged SS 1911 Gov't frames with a cosmetic serial number flaw. $180.00 plus shipping.

How good are these? I have been looking at Foster Industries, but I prefer forged.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:03 PM

What is the country of origin for those frames? I think they are imported.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Banned

Greg, I believe you are correct, I know they are forged (that debate), but I don't know where they are from, they don't have a website or anything so don't know, I know people before haves used them and they are fine, but you can get a good ol' caspian made right here in the USA w/ a custom serial # for around the same price.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:26 PM

here it is directly from the horse's mouth:

Remsport Mfg. manufactures 1911 frames, slides and barrels for most of the 1911 custom and semi custom brands currently on the market today.
Remsport is about to start out on a new venture to start marketing and selling retail under it's own brand "Remsport Match"
Remsport will also prefit slides and frames and barrels to make your 1911 build project a simple assembly or we can build complete lower receivers and complete upper slide assembles for easy drop in fit custom spec'ed to components of your choice.
We also stock 1911 small parts for you build.

We are currently able to supply many AR15 parts and components with more being added to our inventory every day.

Glock stainless steel match barrels are available call for details.

We will also be producing our own AR15 Remsport Match lower receiver.

Contacr Remsport for more information:
[email protected]
413 589 9976

Remsport Mfg.
hours
Mon and Tues 10:30AM to 3:30 PM
Thurs, Fri, Sat 10:30AM to 3:30 PM
Always Closed Wed and Sun
Old 12-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Banned

Yay for an AOL email address. They must really be supplying a lot of those custom and semi-customs!
Old 12-19-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspian17 View Post
Yay for an AOL email address. They must really be supplying a lot of those custom and semi-customs!
probably at least 2 or 3 a year I would guess.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:37 AM

I can give first hand info on RemSport.

My co worker just got a 5" recon frame and slide with sight cuts and pre fit slide and frame. I fit a barrel and finished working the slide and frame as they were real tight but smooth. All of the cuts are clean with minimal tooling marks inside the slide and frame. I have to say that I was impressed with the quality of these parts. I have built two Caspian 1911's and I think, in my limited experiance, that the RemSport stuff is nice to work with. The frontstrap on the frame has a nice amount of material for checkering and came with the colt type highcut.

They were at the last gun show here in Ma. and had all of their stuff, AR and 1911, there. Looked nice but I only have experiance with the slide and frame my friend got. As for where they come from, the forgings, I have no idea.

When I get all of the parts in Ill let you know how everything fits and works.

Semper Fi
1*
Old 12-19-2009, 12:04 PM

I would like to know from where the company sources the forgings.
Joe
Old 12-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Banned

Ya I agree, even though the Company may be U.S. based, where are they getting the forgings.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rogers View Post
I would like to know from where the company sources the forgings.
Joe
I do not know for sure. I have heard rumors that they were forged in Korea and final machining performed by Remsport. I have been unable to verify the Korea rumor. I also heard they were the supplier for Dan Wesson; again this is not verified.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:27 PM

This is the same company that made those alloy frames where the rails separated, right?

That said, why would anyone want them of questionable origin / quality when you can get a Caspian / Fosters frame for not much more?

Forged is not always better.....
Old 12-19-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
This is the same company that made those alloy frames where the rails separated, right?...

Forged is not always better.....
The only ones that I'm aware of with rails failing are the RMT made in California in the 70s-80s (not Remsport).

I will agree that forged, as much as I'm biased towards it, it not always the best choice. Depends on a lots of different factors as to which is best.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:33 PM

I just wanted to know if the frames are "good". All my 1911's are forged (Kimber, Colt, Les Baer, Norinco) and I have nothing against a cast frame 1911.

The cast Foster frames have cosmetic blems; this Remsport frame is a forged SS frame with a single serial number not in precise alignment with the preceeding numbers. I think I would rather go with a SS forged frame with no cosmetics (other than the aforementioned). I may try the Remsport first, then get a Foster in the next few months and do my own comparison.

hipic55 pretty much told me what I needed to know.

I'm not that concerned with the origin of the forging since it's in the raw anyway before Remsport gets it. Springfield seems to sell every Enbel (South American) 1911 frame & slide they can assemble into a complete gun. Norincos are good stuff as well.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:41 PM

I use Remsport slides and frames and like them a lot. Remsport makes the slides and frames for lots of companies (LOTS of companies). I would be willing to bet that some of you own them and don't even know it.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:53 PM

Remsports is also a member here, under the name "remsportsales".

Mike
Old 12-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeky View Post
I just wanted to know if the frames are "good". All my 1911's are forged (Kimber, Colt, Les Baer, Norinco) and I have nothing against a cast frame 1911.

The cast Foster frames have cosmetic blems; this Remsport frame is a forged SS frame with a single serial number not in precise alignment with the preceeding numbers. I think I would rather go with a SS forged frame with no cosmetics (other than the aforementioned). I may try the Remsport first, then get a Foster in the next few months and do my own comparison.

hipic55 pretty much told me what I needed to know.

I'm not that concerned with the origin of the forging since it's in the raw anyway before Remsport gets it. Springfield seems to sell every Enbel (South American) 1911 frame & slide they can assemble into a complete gun. Norincos are good stuff as well.
Why not compare a remsport to a Caspian... not Foster which is the blem company of Caspian. The options that Caspians offer from the factory, as well as their lifetime guarantee, and technology makes them who they are.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:41 AM

Caspian17,

Does Caspian have a forged SS frame for around $180.00?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Banned

Nope, but their cast frames are top notch and used by MANY custom smiths and race guns. Just because it is "Cast" doesn't make it any less strong than a forged frame, if you call 2% less strength a problem. Foster is a cast frame so I don't know why you were comparing them anyway.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspian17 View Post
Foster is a cast frame so I don't know why you were comparing them anyway.
his original post said he was looking at Foster, but he PREFERRED a forged frame. so he's either going to pay $129 for the cast frame or $180 for the forged. I don't think he's interested in paying $180 for cast, regardless of comparative strength.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Banned

Meh... I would it is a caspian... and heck custom serial #'s! I guess I am just confused on why people put so much "I want forged" when the original forgings of the old guns were so much weaker then the casts we have now, Caspian makes a top notch product, allow you to do whatever you want to it, have a great reputation and people still question their products because they are cast.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:52 PM

perhaps for the same reason that people think FAL receivers machined from barstock are better than those that are forged to shape, and think just the opposite for 1911 frames.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:46 AM

Does anybody have any Photos of Remsport frames or complete Remsport built 1911A1 to post here?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:37 AM

Look at Ron Phillips web site. He has complete pistols built on Remsport frames. If it is good enough for him its good enough for me. Nighthawk wont say were there frames or slides are from and i would not be suprised if remsport were them. I am not saying they are but you never know. Like Dave Berryhill said you might have one and not even know it.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:32 PM

here's a photo from the web of a Remsport forged frame:

Old 06-04-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Does anybody have any Photos of Remsport frames or complete Remsport built 1911A1 to post here?
Check Dave Berryhill's site. He uses both Caspian and Remsport.
Closed Thread