1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 12-13-2009, 07:28 AM

Colt recall

http://www.coltsmfg.com/recall.aspx

make a sticky please

Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC has determined that the Slide Lock Safety and the Recoil Spring Guide Pad in certain Colt model pistols were not manufactured to Colt specifications and must be replaced. All of these Colt models were sold after March 2007 and the range of serial numbers affected by this product recall is as follows:

1911 WWI Replica (O1911) From: 4597WMK To: 5414WMK
1918 WWI Replica (O1918) From: 1001WWI To: 3431WWI
New Agent (O7810D) From: GT01001 To: GT04505
Combat Elite (O8011XSE) From: CG10000E To: CG11293E
Defender (O7000D) From: DR33036 To: DR35948
Talo Night Defender (O7000NDF) From: NDF0001 To: NDF0400
Old 12-13-2009, 07:41 AM

I think everyone and their aunt Matilda here knows about the recall
Old 12-13-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plexi View Post
I think everyone and their aunt Matilda here knows about the recall
I didn't and I do read all the gun magazines every month. American Rifleman, American Handgunner, Handguns, etc. If it was there I don't recall seeing it.

Maybe it was because my Aunt was Woodie.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Macklin View Post
I didn't and I do read all the gun magazines every month. American Rifleman, American Handgunner, Handguns, etc. If it was there I don't recall seeing it.

Maybe it was because my Aunt was Woodie.
You know, I haven't seen any in the rags either. I know it's been discussed quite a bit here but maybe a stikcy is a good idea. My WW1 is there now.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:32 AM

I have to say I didn't know about the recall either. I browse this forum every so often but never came across a thread about the recall. I also subscribe to about 4 or so gun rags and it never was mentioned as far as I have seen. I only found it when I recently went to Colt's website.

I just recently contacted Colt to get the shipping label, etc. Does anyone have an opition on if I should wait till after the Christmas holidays to send my O1918 off or does it matter?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batex View Post
I have to say I didn't know about the recall either. I browse this forum every so often but never came across a thread about the recall. I also subscribe to about 4 or so gun rags and it never was mentioned as far as I have seen. I only found it when I recently went to Colt's website.

I just recently contacted Colt to get the shipping label, etc. Does anyone have an opition on if I should wait till after the Christmas holidays to send my O1918 off or does it matter?

After the holidays would be best. They have a shutdown for the holidays.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:48 AM

I am waiting until after Christmas to send an O1911. Folks in general are not concentrating on the 'task at hand' this time of year... Before Thanksgiving I spoke with a CSR at S&W regarding some work at the Performance Center and he even suggested waiting until mid-January to send work in.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Average Moderator

I didn't know about it.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Administrator

There was a very lengthy thread running about it a few months ago. I guess some of the newer members may not have had a chance to see it. Allegedly the thumb safeties were not heat treated properly, but I don't know what the problem was with the recoil spring guides was.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:17 PM

Has anyone posted pics of the marks that indicate a repair was made. I recently bought a new WWI that was within the first 500 made, however I can't find the mark. But the seller is a big Colt dealer and I would be surprised he didn't already send it.

I bought mine as a safe queen after inspecting a dozen of them over the years (starting with Carbonia models) and this is by far the best one. There was a Carbonia that was close and I wish I had bought it given their current prices.

Anyway, I would rather an up to spec safe queen with a scratch or two than a non-functioning spec queen.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Administrator

My formerly recalled WW1 has a tiny "I" mark underneath the slide near the disconnector hole.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:44 PM

Thanks for posting this. I'm not on the forum as often as I should be I guess, I had no knowledge of this as well.

I have a Defender that falls into this serial number range. It was a horrible functioning gun out of the box and it went back to Colt almost immediately for repairs. It functions alright now, but the thumb safety has a "glitchy" feel to it that is unlike my other 1911s. It is something that I had asked them to address when I sent it in, but that evidently was not part of their repair process. I'm no gunsmith, but it feels as if it's not fitted correctly. I like the size and weight of this gun for concealed carry, but I think maybe I should have spent the money on a more "custom" gun form one of the other makers with better quality control.

Can anyone post a way of positively identifying if a particular gun needs these repairs? Quite honestly I'd rather not undergo the hassle of sending this one back again if it's not needed. They may have dealt with it when they had it the first time, I'd have no way of telling.

Thanks
Old 01-01-2010, 03:54 PM

The recent recall covers several pistols to varying degrees, and the Defender has the easiest process because there are no parts needing factory fitting involved.

There is no need to send a Defender in for recall repairs. Colt will mail you a new recoil spring assembly that you can replace yourself.

The way to positively identify if your pistol is under recall is by its serial number.

To identify that a recalled pistol has been repaired, examine the Recoil Spring Cap (Item 16 in the exploded view). Repair parts have a small dimple impressed on them, defective parts needing replacement do not.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:05 AM

Thing about colt that annoying is company work so hard put there quality issues in past with new guns there make. Yet right of bat few there guns get recall.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:02 AM

My Aunt's name was Emma.
Glad I have a crummy old 1991-A1 from 1995.
Glad I missed this one since I got caught in the S&W Walther PPK recall.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:53 PM

i think every manufacture has their share of problems. Ruger had to recall their lcp, and sr9, and even after i bought one of the new sr9's the barrel started peening at 400 rounds. I totally lost my confidence in that line, but every ruger I ever had was totally reliable. took a gun course in which 99 percent were using glocks, and kinda laughed at the older guy with the ruger p89. funny, he had no failures and scored higher than anyone else.
lets give colt a chance to fix these issues. Sorry about your troubles though
Old 04-08-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Dodge View Post
Can anyone post a way of positively identifying if a particular gun needs these repairs?
Thanks
I know this is a late response, but I bought a New Agent last month and it came with a letter stating that it had been repaired, and that it had been identified with a tiny flag stamped on the upper right side of the trigger guard.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:16 PM

Mistake

Last edited by Maromero; 06-16-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:55 AM

crap. My WWI has a serial number in the recall range

Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 PM

[QUOTE=Jim_Macklin;2437237]http://www.coltsmfg.com/recall.aspx

make a sticky please

Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC has determined that the Slide Lock Safety and the Recoil Spring Guide Pad in certain Colt model pistols were not manufactured to Colt specifications and must be replaced.

Somebody please tell me ASAP? Is a "slide lock safety", the same part I call a Slide stop? I'm not sure what a "Recoil spring guide pad" is? Is that the end of guide rod? I'm considering Defender, I need this info.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:01 PM

The Slide Lock Safety is probably better known as the Thumb Safety. This part is NOT under recall for Defender.

The Recoil Spring Guide Pad is item 16 in the following exploded view:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/upload/pdfs/...20defender.pdf

Note: Both item 14 and 16 have the same name, but item 16 is identified wrong. It should be "16. Recoil Spring Guide Pad." This part is under recall for certain serially numbered Defenders.

Compare the serial number of your pistol to the list of impacted serial numbers above to see if it is in the range of recalled pistols.

If it is, and it has not been previously repaired under this recall, Colt will mail out to you an entire new and proper recoil spring assembly. There is no need to send the gun back to Colt or disassemble and reassemble your assembly. Just discard the whole thing and replace it with item Colt sent.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:07 PM

Combat Elite Recall

I learned about the recall here and contacted Colt - Got the shipping label quickly after emailing them with my Colt xse info and sent it off after battling with and inexperienced Fedex employ the first try - 2nd gal a few days later was very knowledgable and had me set up right away. Less than 2 weeks it came home and had a insert (standard form letter type) stating all was corrected. Only thing is I could not find the 'tiny flag' or any other new mark that was not there before as I recalled. There are some small 'hand stamp' marks on it below the trigger guard but hard to tell what the mark really is...anyway it's back and looks good, shoots very well and feels awesome in the hand. I'd say it was actually at Colt for only 7-8 days total - fast turnaround in my experience. Ruger took longer on my wife's LCP as I recall too-JB
Old 08-17-2010, 03:20 PM

Colt recall

I sent my WW1 (recall) and it come back like they had never worked on a gun before,it was awfull the way it came back,I sent it back and they had to refinish the complete Colt.I`ll never send another gun back.
Dick
Old 08-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Rather than just telling everybody how badly they suck, how about explaining exactly what they did wrong?

Last edited by dsk; 08-17-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:35 PM

Wwi 1918

I just bought a new WWI O1918 from a local FFL (Two days ago) that falls in the recall serial #. How can I tell if its been repaired?
I cant see the "-" on the inside of the slide (as per the Colt recall page)
According to my FFL, this gun came straight from the distributor. The plunger tube was lose (which I repaired)
It also needed a new recoil spring (there was a timing issue)
thanks
mike

Last edited by hobbyshooter; 10-16-2010 at 04:00 PM.