1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 11-25-2009, 02:03 AM
Banned

thinking of getting the MC Operator

does anyone have a review or experience they can share about the MC Operator? i'm thinking about getting one. i love my champion operator.

bud's gunshops has it for $1,038 right now, that seems like a great deal.

thanx guys
Old 11-25-2009, 06:34 AM
Banned

Operator is Springfield-speak for "Light Rail."

MC is Springfield-speak for for "two tone Green Paint."

If you want those features and what I consider horrible Pachmayr rubber grips get this pistol.

-- Chuck
Old 11-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
Operator is Springfield-speak for "Light Rail."

MC is Springfield-speak for for "two tone Green Paint."

If you want those features and what I consider horrible Pachmayr rubber grips get this pistol.

-- Chuck
MC stands for Marine Corps. (Marine Corps Operator).

i know the operators have a light rail (i have one.)

and i certainly would replace those horrific pachmayr grips with some g10 vz operator grips.

i would prefer an all black MC, but those are pretty much impossible to find.

Last edited by Assy Mcgee; 11-25-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:19 AM
Banned

The MC Operator has absolutely nothing to do with the United States Marine Corps.

MC really means just MC or green paint. I'm sure Springfield would like you to make the assumption that MC means marine corps.

Neither the Marines or the Army have worn green duty uniforms for years. This pistol would be a stylistic clash of colors with a USMC uniform. And that's all two tone pistols are, an attempt to be stylish.

RLTW,

-- Chuck
Old 11-25-2009, 09:28 AM

if it floats your boat, then get it. for me, i'd pass. don't like green, don't like the grips. i'd save up some more and get a TRP Operator if i wanted a rail. In all likelyhood, if i ever get a 1911 with a rail it'll probably be a Ed Brown SF Rail.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
The MC Operator has absolutely nothing to do with the United States Marine Corps.

MC really means just MC or green paint. I'm sure Springfield would like you to make the assumption that MC means marine corps.

Neither the Marines or the Army have worn green duty uniforms for years. This pistol would be a stylistic clash of colors with a USMC uniform. And that's all two tone pistols are, an attempt to be stylish.

RLTW,

-- Chuck
incorrect, my friend.

the "MC" has nothing to do with the green colored frame.

according to springfield armory's website, the frame is colored "olive drab".

the MC actually does stand for marine corps. it's not issued to the marine core, of course, but it was submitted to the USMC for cancelled pistol trials a few years back, hence the name "MC Operator".

Quote:
Relatively recently, the U.S. Marine Corps has had a mission shift, or, more properly put, it is now officially recognized as being part of the anti-terrorism effort most publicly addressed by the U.S. Army and U.S. Naval Special Warfare units. As such, they were forced to go to the commercial market for an updated 1911 because their weapons unit, which was building them carefully with limited manpower, could no longer keep up with demand.

This all leads to the proposed "new" USMC 1911, dubbed the MEU (SOC), which stands for "Marine Expeditionary Unit, Special Operations Capable." As I understand it, the MEUs are the USMC's formal designation for its anti-terrorism units, which have a similar mission to those of the U.S. Army and Navy Spec War groups.

The Springfield Loaded Full-Size MC Operator, stock number PX9105ML, incorporates or exceeds all of the Marines' requirements. (As of this writing, however, the ultimate supplier has not been identified.)

The magazine well is beveled, and the ILS gun safety lock is standard.
As I've read on this subject, the Marines want "their" 1911 to include cocking serrations on the slide, fixed front and rear sights, a good level of accuracy but not such that might interfere with reliability, ambidextrous thumb safeties and beavertail grip safety, as well as a long trigger and trigger-pull weight from 4.5 to six pounds (this one had a 5.25-pound trigger). In addition, they want an integral rail on the dustcover for attaching a "gun light" infrared or laser unit, rubber wraparound grips and a Parkerized finish.

and the site this quote is from: http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory10.php

Last edited by Assy Mcgee; 11-25-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
if it floats your boat, then get it. for me, i'd pass. don't like green, don't like the grips. i'd save up some more and get a TRP Operator if i wanted a rail. In all likelyhood, if i ever get a 1911 with a rail it'll probably be a Ed Brown SF Rail.

i like those ed browns. the price is prohibitive though, being they're $1,500 more than the MC.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dances with guns View Post
the MC actually does stand for marine core.
Marine Corps, not core.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Marine Corps, not core.
oops, i always do that
Old 11-25-2009, 10:06 AM

i thought MC = Mostly Cosmetics
Old 11-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
i thought MC = Mostly Cosmetics
lol

have you fired one? is it pretty nice? i've never even seen one in a gunshop lol

but my champion operator is such nice piece, i assumed this would be too. good price at bud's too.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:16 AM

haven't shot one, but the examples that i have played with should be the same as the rest of the Loaded series.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
haven't shot one, but the examples that i have played with should be the same as the rest of the Loaded series.
operator series

loaded's are a step below.

the operator 1911 parts are hand chosen for the best fit.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:25 AM

Operator is just a railled Loaded.

MC Operator Loaded is the one you are looking at.
There was also a mil-spec Operator, LW Operator, Champion Operator, TRP Operator and Professional Operator.

and the parts are picked out of the parts bin by hand

Last edited by Quack; 11-25-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Operator is just a railled Loaded.

MC Operator Loaded is the one you are looking at.
There was also a mil-spce Operator, TRP Operator and Professional Operator.

and the parts are picked out of the parts bin by hand

true, the MC is called the "loaded oeprator" on springer's site, but it is part of the operator series.

never heard of a "mil-spec" operator, nothing on the site about it. think you made that one up lol

the pro isn't railed, but you can order it with a rail. (it's still not called a "Pro operator") it's hand made from the ground up by the custom shop.

stop making up guns

Last edited by Assy Mcgee; 11-25-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
true, the MC is called the "loaded oeprator" on springer's site, but it is part of the operator series.

never heard of a "mil-spec" operator, nothing on the site about it. think you made that one up lol

the pro isn't railed, but you can order it with a rail. it's hand made from the ground up by the custom shop.
They don't make the mil-spec Operator anymore. Think they stopped in 2003

Both the Pro and Pro Operator are hand made from the ground up.
Not making the Professional Operator up :P
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411535969
Old 11-25-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
operator series

loaded's are a step below.

the operator 1911 parts are hand chosen for the best fit.
MC Operator = Loaded

Nothing is hand chosen on either pistol.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
does anyone have a review or experience they can share about the MC Operator? i'm thinking about getting one. i love my champion operator.

bud's gunshops has it for $1,038 right now, that seems like a great deal.

thanx guys
Hi everyone, been looking at these forums for a while and never posted.

To give a little feedback..

My first 1911 was an MC operator. I love it! I've fed about 2.5k rounds through it now and have never had a single malfunction. It fires anything I can get my hands on and it feeds everything flawlessly with stock mags or a few wilsons I had. I haven't done any modifications to mine at all yet.

It's done 700 rounds straight without cleaning and still shot just great. Most likely would of gone more if I didn't run out of ammo in those range trips.

It's a great gun and a quality springfield product. That's around the price I paid for it, I think it's a great deal! I have my sites on a champion one in the near future.

took a quick pic with my phone

Old 11-25-2009, 12:11 PM

I have an MC Op and it's a great gun. I didn't buy it because I'm a Marine (I won't comment on the 'MC' nomenclature), I bought it because I wanted a gun with a rail and night sights and the MC Op was the best option for me. Before I started buying Baers, this was the first pistol I needed a bushing wrench to take apart.

It is a very accurate pistol and while I only have 5800 rds thru it, it has been flawless and is used as my 'disposal' gun for misc reloads that failed to gauge...

Highly recommended and that's a good price.

Active Duty Community Organizer, Philanthropist
Old 11-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
They don't make the mil-spec Operator anymore. Think they stopped in 2003

Both the Pro and Pro Operator are hand made from the ground up.
Not making the Professional Operator up :P
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411535969

oh i see, interesting specimen. too bad they no longer make it.

(i thought you made that up lol )
Old 11-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Wire View Post
Hi everyone, been looking at these forums for a while and never posted.

To give a little feedback..

My first 1911 was an MC operator. I love it! I've fed about 2.5k rounds through it now and have never had a single malfunction. It fires anything I can get my hands on and it feeds everything flawlessly with stock mags or a few wilsons I had. I haven't done any modifications to mine at all yet.

It's done 700 rounds straight without cleaning and still shot just great. Most likely would of gone more if I didn't run out of ammo in those range trips.

It's a great gun and a quality springfield product. That's around the price I paid for it, I think it's a great deal! I have my sites on a champion one in the near future.

took a quick pic with my phone

thanx for the review, you're making me wanna order it!

i've seen all black MC's online, but never seen one actully for sale, wonder if i should wait till i run into one of those (i like the green too, but prefer the all black).
Old 11-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC 0802 View Post
I have an MC Op and it's a great gun. I didn't buy it because I'm a Marine (I won't comment on the 'MC' nomenclature), I bought it because I wanted a gun with a rail and night sights and the MC Op was the best option for me. Before I started buying Baers, this was the first pistol I needed a bushing wrench to take apart.

It is a very accurate pistol and while I only have 5800 rds thru it, it has been flawless and is used as my 'disposal' gun for misc reloads that failed to gauge...

Highly recommended and that's a good price.
thanx for your post. can i ask how much your MC was?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
incorrect, my friend.

the "MC" has nothing to do with the green colored frame.

according to springfield armory's website, the frame is colored "olive drab".

the MC actually does stand for marine corps. it's not issued to the marine core, of course, but it was submitted to the USMC for cancelled pistol trials a few years back, hence the name "MC Operator".

and the site this quote is from: http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory10.php
Just had to point this out. I'm not trying to attack the OP, just point out a real world observation. Does the OP know that Chuck S is a pistolsmith? A very knowledgeable pistolsmith? I'm guessing not. And no offense, just because it says so on the Springfield Armory website, doesn't make everything true. Who hasn't thrown out buzzwords to hype a product.
That being said, I think it's a nice gun and wouldn't mind having one myself.
Do I think it's their top tier, no. I agree it's mostly a railed loaded with a green/olive drab frame for the tacticool look. I'd still get one.
Ryan
COTEP Member #13
1911 affishi... afici... ufishi...collector.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

I had an MC operator for a couple of years, 5k+ rounds through it. By the time I was done with it, I'd upgraded the paint job, the barrel/bushing, and most of the internals. It shot great, and even after over 5k rounds, was tight as a drum. I'm almost sorry I let her go, but I needed to pay for my custom 1911.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:58 PM

I love my MC Operator. I haven't had it very long, but it is quickly becoming my favorite piece in the safe. Like most people have said, I'm in the process of ditching the grips for some VZ's and getting the front strap checkered. This is what I had before I sent it out and the picture of my first 14 through not only my Operator but a 1911 in general.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo 12.jpg   10-02-09_1802.jpg  
"Our nation, this generation, will lift the dark threat of violence from our people and our future. We will rally the world to this cause by our efforts, by our courage. We will not tire, we will not falter and we will not fail." GWB