1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Fusion Firearms

Old 11-24-2009, 06:52 AM

American Gunsmith contest

We have discussed with many of our customers a yearly American Armature Gunsmith contest. Where we judge and select finalist to send their own completed projects in to be judged and prizes awarded..etc.. Now …. No pro’s… this would only be for home hobbyists…
What do you think of this idea?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:24 AM

Bob,

I think it's a grand concept and one that would be extremely cool.

Would the winner get a chance to spend some time @ Fusion learning even more skills, maybe?

prt
Old 11-24-2009, 09:34 PM

I like it bob, lets do it!
Old 12-02-2009, 10:37 AM

I'm in when and where do we send the completed weapon
Old 12-04-2009, 01:39 PM

Just in time

Bob:

I'm finally working on that 460 so I'd be interested.
Have any idea what the criteria for judging would be?
DW YG4-EXP 2-tone, DW CBOB, DW K03-B, DW KO3-S, DW PM1-S, DW PM7-S, DW Seven, DW PM-2, DW PMGD-45, PMGD-9, DW PMA-B, DW PMA-S, DW PMDP, DW PTM-B, DW PTM-S, DW PT-CCO 2-tone, DW PMG-FS, DW RZ-10, DW PMHC, DW PM-9
Old 12-04-2009, 01:42 PM

I like it also Mr. Serva!!!! Now, would the winner get a custom built 10MM Longslide from you!!!!

COTEP Member # CBOB0152
Old 12-04-2009, 02:27 PM

Sopunds great. I would be interested.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:21 AM

I do not possess the skills yet to do a build but I would love to watch this type of action unfold.

Snag
Dan Wesson 10mm CBOB, .45 Pointman Guardian Duce, .45 Patriot CCO. Dan Wesson 744 VH .44 6". Fusion 10mm Longslide XM-10 Tactical Hunter. Glock 19c, Browning Buckmark, S&W 686 .357 4", S&W 629 .44mag 8 3/8". Uberti Cattleman .45LC. Assorted long guns.
COTEP #9
http://www.1911auto.org/forum/index.php?referrerid=24
Old 12-09-2009, 03:42 PM

Ok, more info on the American Gunsmith Contest...

Bob wanted me to explain some of the ideas we have for this.

1. You do not have to send in your gun. Only the 5 or 6 finalist will have to. We will do the initial judging by photos you submit on this thread and then pick the finalists.

2. Judging will be based on finish, style, grip choice, etc.

3. Prizes will be awarded for the chosen one. No, sorry, it won't be a pistol unless Bob feels very generous! The prizes might include a holster, mags, set of grips, hat, t-shirt, or a combination of these and possibly others as we think of them.

We will keep you all updated as this progresses.

Dale.

1911auto.org

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for." - John Lubbock.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:08 AM

I'm in.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:26 AM

Grand prize a job at Fusion working along side Bob, Dale and crew.
Ok I'll wake up now but hay it was a nice dream!!
Old 01-02-2010, 07:55 AM

We are using all of your ideas to try to form an outline of rules for us all to follow so keep the ideas coming.... Thanks again..
Old 01-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Banned

Awesome idea. What are some of the base rules to be, for those of us rookie builders?

Mmmm, yes, a 10mm longslide with some Fusion Limited work done to it would make a great prize.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:54 PM

Do we get to start with a Fusion kit? That way all that fine work is already done

I hope it doesn't have to be a SARCO kit

BTW- I love the idea, count me IN!

Last edited by dcsans; 01-14-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:39 PM

Hello everyone, we are trying to get some rules together in the next few weeks so all of those interested can get started. Why don't you give us some ideas of the parameters you can work within and we'll throw in our 2 cents, come up with guidelines and turn you loose. The sooner the better. Have fun!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:42 PM

It would be nice if those that started with a kit could be included. My build from a kit is coming along nicely and I'd be quite proud to have it "evaluated."

Regards,

Jerry
Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 AM

This will be interesting.
Not all have milling machines. Could slides be sent out to have cuts made for sights? What about applied finishing... sent out or must be home done? Some pros outsource finishing?

If outsourcing finishing is not allowed, then probably SS only would be the way to go.

List of judging criteria is needed.

Also, entrants should probably furnish a detailed build sheet.
Policing this could be a problem.

Great Idea. Looking forward to seeing the builds. My skill set is pulling the trigger.
"A Veteran -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." __ Unknown
Sure, I'm willing to shoot your Glock, just hang it up there with the rest of the targets. COTEP #35
Old 02-23-2010, 06:53 PM

K.i.s.s.

Likely, you should set some simple ground rules and just let it fall where it does... fact is, money counts, and trying to level that playing field will be tough, at best.

Just set it up for what it is, a contest to see what home hobbyists can do. The basis of the pistol must be something like a mil-spec or whatever is chosen, give a nice wide time-line for those that need to save up to do it, promote it with progress and perhaps hosted pictures if sent, and judge based on what was done with the pistol the person could afford. Its really a subjective thing, in any case, so adjusted judging is workable.

Finishing is always tough, as that can be difficult at best, so perhaps offer something simple like bluing or oxide of the pistol for a fair price for those who wish to go that route by a given time-line before the normal deadline or at least access to someone who will do it for them. Obviously, those who choose stainless have an advantage there and may be more trouble than its worth in any case. It might be simpler to simply let people deal with it as they will.

Base-line, basis of judging, and no extra work for you would be best, I think. The prize should be more about pride, anyway... perhaps a showcase on your website. It would also promote the idea to others of like mind to follow in those steps with the various parts and kits that you offer. That way its not money spent for money gained but money spent for something you can be proud of, bragging rights, and a nifty hat or something similar would be nice. =) A touch of incentive and a chance to show off should be enough.

Last edited by Remjin; 02-23-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 02-26-2010, 05:57 PM

I would like Fusion kits to be allowed, since fitting those parts are beyond most of our abilities and mistakes can be extremely costly.

I would say no outsourced finished allowed based the fact that most people could finish a pistol with all the do it yourself kits available, duracoat etc. For people that wish to entry but do not want to finish the pistol there is always SS.

Finish is where you will be able to see the work and individuality IMO.

Out sourcing sights should be allowed IMO.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:16 AM

I think so long as a certain baseline is established and everyone knows the deal, it can't go too wrong. I have no experience with the home finishes, but it doesn't sound too bad. Might even be fun to do.

Heck, might be easiest just to let it be a free-for-all s'long as a build sheet or something is included. That way, whether you build from a Fusion kit, a TRP Operator, SA Mil-spec or whatever; everyone knows where it started and where it ended up, and it all comes down to one simple factor: in the end, which is prettiest and works best? =)
Old 03-03-2010, 06:20 AM

Excellent idea, Bob. This should be fun for everyone. I'm in!

Perhaps a Factory Modified and Kit Build classes (or more). Factor Mod would be builds starting with a factory pistol, but heavily customized. Assuming the contest is open to factory pistols other than Fusion. The Kit Build is self explanatory.

Last edited by Soku; 03-03-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:21 AM

Damn Complicated to do in all aspects of the situation. But I've got one on my bench and when an if the rules are laid down I'm roaring to get in.

COTEP #0207, CCO #017, Guardian-9 #017, Guardian-45 #417, ECO #017
GeorgiaCarry.org Gun Toting Member & Volunteer
GeorgiaPacking.org Common Law Spouse
Old 05-29-2010, 09:53 AM

How about two categories?

1. Gun built from kit.

2. Gun built from complete gun.

Before and after photos if possible.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:20 PM

We are using all of your ideas to try to form an outline of rules for us all to follow so keep the ideas coming.... Thanks again..
Old 06-01-2010, 03:39 AM

How about no rules. Make the judging be on looks and accuracy.