1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 10-25-2009, 06:38 PM

Gun oil with Teflon in it... What have you heard?

I have been using RemOil and Break-Free CLP on my guns since I've owned them. Never had an issue. I have read/heard from several sources that oil containing Teflon should not be used in the bore of the barrel for some reason. Something about the Teflon having an adverse affect on the metal when it burns off.

Have any of you heard anything like this? And is there any scientific data that supports this claim?

- Pat Rogers
Old 10-25-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWThomas View Post
I have been using RemOil and Break-Free CLP on my guns since I've owned them. Never had an issue. I have read/heard from several sources that oil containing Teflon should not be used in the bore of the barrel for some reason. Something about the Teflon having an adverse affect on the metal when it burns off.

Have any of you heard anything like this? And is there any scientific data that supports this claim?
Rem-oil with Teflon is all I use to clean my guns so I will be curious about the opinions on this.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:14 PM

Teflon exposed to very high heat emits toxic vapors and has been known to kill birds when exposed to the fumes. That being said, since Teflon burns off under high heat, there would not seem to be any benefit to using it in the bore, and probably is best to use on surfaces of a firearm that are not directly subject to intensely hot temperature conditions. If someone were to coat their barrel with a Teflon based lube and then swap nearly dry, I can't imagine that any damage to the bore would be incurred - just no real advantage.

As to any possible adverse affects on ballistic performance. I cannot speak to that...
Old 10-25-2009, 08:23 PM

Before you clean a barrel with ANYTHING that contains teflon, you should talk to top rifle builders and/or top barrel makers. They will tell you not to introduce any teflon product into your barrel (unless they just want more work. When a barrel is fouled with teflon build up, it is cheaper to replace the barrel than to clean the teflon out.) That said, most people do not clean their barrels enough to have any teflon build-up anyways. I no longer use CLP in the bore, there's way better cleaners for that purpose nowadays.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:

PTFE (teflon) can produce hydroflouric acid when burned/heated above about 450C (~900F). This can quickly corrode steels.

However, this is removed quickly after the second shot. Sounds like misinformation to me, FWIW.
Bill's Training Blog
Old 10-26-2009, 07:10 AM

There are so many better products available than RemOil! It'd be o.k. for lubing a sewing machine, but not much else. I'm a Mobil 1 man!

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 10-26-2009, 03:56 PM

A bore with any type of oil applied to it needs to be wiped out before you fire. Oiling a bore is to prevent corrosion while it is being stored. Just run a dry patch through it before you shoot it. Use any kind of oil you want.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
There are so many better products available than RemOil! It'd be o.k. for lubing a sewing machine, but not much else. I'm a Mobil 1 man!
So you wouldn't use RemOil on anything but a sewing machine but you put motor oil on your guns???

- Pat Rogers
Old 10-26-2009, 05:10 PM

I'm not a chemist - so I don't have any technical info on the subject...

Break Free is a very commonly used product - for cleaning bores and in general for lubing any number of handguns.

I've used Break Free for many years - on any number of 1911's - from Wilson Combat, Baer, Ed Brown and Kimber ( and a lot of my buddies do as well ) - and I've never seen a problem. Now I don't leave a lot of oil in the barrel after I clean a gun / but I do spray a little bit of "Rig Oil" or some Break Free on a patch / and run it down the bore 4 or 5 times before I reassemble the gun / but there is very little residual oil in the bore.

I shoot jacketed bullets exclusively in all of my 1911's - so I do get some brass build up from Montana Gold bullets / or copper from Berry's bullets in my bores - and it does take some work to get that out ( Barnes CR-10, etc ) will take it out ....with persistence .... but the last thing I'd worry about was a little bit of Teflon in there .. but that's just me.../my opinion.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
So you wouldn't use RemOil on anything but a sewing machine but you put motor oil on your guns???
Oil use rises to the level of the Second Coming. There are numerous 'Oil War' Threads here.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Why not, after all it is an internal combustion engine. Think about it. It burns stuff to do work.
Joe
Old 10-26-2009, 07:18 PM

Teflon

UNDER NORMAL USE.... Let me say this first..

I don't believe you could find a serious research paper that would support "Teflon flavored lubricants contaminating a pistol barrel" when used as directed. It's not like one is "plating" the bore with Teflon. I also don't believe that RemOil is going to harm a pistol. I think sewing machine or any light oil would be just fine when used appropriately. I used 3in1 oil from the time I was 4 until of military age<<<8) I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time, but I started working in research metallurgy in 1975 and research polymers when they came about, followed by ceramics... so I'm not exactly new to this.

A light coating of oil in the bore every now and again is just fine with me. Pull a bore snake or push a patch through the bore and you're good to go. Much ado of nothing IMO.. Not to be critical, just saying.. Cheers.. Ron
Old 10-26-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Much ado of nothing IMO.. Not to be critical, just saying..
Agree. RemOil is probably the most popular oil for guns, used by millions of gun owners. If it did any harm, surely the evidence would have made itself known by now. (It's also what I use BTW)
Old 10-26-2009, 07:40 PM

Synthetic high RPM 4-cylinder purple racing motor oil. Smells nice.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
I totally agree! About the only thing it might be good for is spraying into the trigger group. The stuff makes water look thick! If you want to use an oil to lube, look to the better synthetic motor oils like Royal purple, Mobil 1 or Lucas(red label). If you prefer grease, go with moly, anhydrous graphite or a Lithium based product. I've been trying out Sil-Glyde(the stuff you use on brake parts, rear of pads,etc.)and I'm very impressed with this stuff! If it's good enough for racing engines, how could it not be excellent for your firearms??
Old 10-26-2009, 08:27 PM

Black tape

I will add that during the late 60's you could use axle grease or gear lube if you had enough black tape. It took all the above to stop the rattle/clank Cheers.. Ron
Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rogers View Post
Why not, after all it is an internal combustion engine. Think about it. It burns stuff to do work.
Joe
Because motor oil, especially modern motor oil, is extremely hampered by environmental regulations that are irrelevant to use on firearms. You can't even use most modern motor oils in cars with flat tappet camshafts because of how much oil has been ruined by regulations (this includes most variants of Mobil 1).

Last edited by marlinspike; 10-26-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazer386 View Post
Synthetic high RPM 4-cylinder purple racing motor oil. Smells nice.
Purple oil, Mobil 1......I'm thinking about trying AmSoil. If I don't like it, I can put the rest of it in the lawn mower or use it on the Dillon 550. I'm just starting to shoot 1911's again, and am going to try some different things. Did not know if Mobil 1 would stay put. RemOil would not be my first choice because it is so thin, but it does have its uses.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:52 PM

I assume all you folks are talking about 1911s?
Old 10-26-2009, 08:59 PM

Some say to leave the break-in oil in for the first change at 2500-3000 before going to synthetic. Still others say the Amsoil will go for 30000 Ron
Old 10-26-2009, 10:38 PM

You'd have to have a LOT of Teflon oil in your barrel, and have it stay there while the barrel was heated that high to have the problem I'm thinking.

And besides, Break Free I don't believe has PTFE in it any longer. It's not listed on the MSDS anyway.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:34 PM

I have been using Tri-flon on my guns for 20 years and I've had no problems.

Are you a turtle?
Old 10-27-2009, 04:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADC View Post
Oil use rises to the level of the Second Coming. There are numerous 'Oil War' Threads here.
+1.
(He says while grabbing some popcorn and sits back!)
DAT85
Old 10-27-2009, 06:38 AM

Not that I wish to get too far off the subject of firearms, but could someone clarify what chemicals or characteristics have been taken out of modern motor oils that render then unsuitable for use in older engines? By the way I use Hoppe's #9 for cleaning and FP 10 for lubrication in my firearms. I have tried a bunch of other stuff and most of it works OK. I just keep going back to my old stand by, though. Probably, just an old guy set in his ways.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudo View Post
I have been using Tri-flon on my guns for 20 years and I've had no problems.
I used tri-flon on my racing bikes when I used to race yrs ago and they changed the name to tri-flow because there was no teflon in it..
COTEP#236..Since 1984 w/IHMSA,NRA,USPSA,IDPA,IPSC...
USCG Lic.Captain, FFF Fly Casting Instructor

Don't take life too seriously.....
No one makes it out alive anyway......