1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 10-11-2009, 12:10 PM

Wilson Receivers

Putting this here instead of the Wilson board because it concerns comparisons of receivers for builds, and not Wilson's receivers only or Wilson's finished guns.

Considering different options for receivers for builds. So far I have used Caspian, Les Baer and Fusion. Of those, the Fusion needed the least work to get ready to use. Also, I found Fusion's customer service to be aggressively customer oriented.

Am wondering if any of you who have used Wilson receivers for builds can tell me

(1) am I correct in believing that ALL Wilson receivers are forged,
(2) opinion as to overall quality and finish,
(3) whether or not all the holes were in the right places,
(4) whether or not you found it necessary to modify the frame ramp, and
(5) your experience with Wilson's customer service

Don't need lengthy explanations, just a yea or nay/good or bad, and a brief idea as to why if you'd like.

Thanks, folks.

Best,
Jon

Last edited by BigJon; 10-11-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Banned

Jon-

I had one in the shop a while back, before they were offered in Brownells. It was here for minor work, so I didn't get into every nook and cranny. I didn't measure pin hole locations, and can't recall feedramp depth/angle. One disadvantage would be the mandatory use of their proprietary ejector, unless a work-around could be found. Their slides (as offered in Brownells) also have a few handicaps.

If I could order their frames and slides exactly to my specs, I'd be all over it. Otherwise, one of their frame/slide kits lets you make your custom gun look like

...wait for it...

a Wilson.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:11 PM

Jon-
Funny you should ask!!
Building a gun on a Wilson frame as we speak....my issues, ejector and grip safety. No options... only Wilson's proprietary stuff, that being said Wilson's ejector maybe an improvement to the old 1911, kinda like Ned's PT. The Wilson set up looks to be a bit stouter..not that I think it will ever matter! Wilson's lines on his grip safety has never done much for me, so it got "recontoured" HEAVILY!! Pin holes are good, frames appear to be CNC machined, with a small ballend mill?? So there is some work in removing machine marks, fed ramp looked pretty close on angle, measured .390 if I am remembering correctly. Again took a little work to get the machine marks out...but all in all very nice. The billet parts available from Wilson are NICE, no voids popping up as you blend/ recontour things like a... grip safety.

Caspian slide on order, so it won't quite..as Dave said.."look like a Wilson". That and Stan's magwell..should help remove the "Wilson" look.

Call me if you need further

Mark
Old 10-11-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
Am wondering if any of you who have used Wilson receivers for builds can tell me

(1) am I correct in believing that ALL Wilson receivers are forged,
(2) opinion as to overall quality and finish,
(3) whether or not all the holes were in the right places,
(4) whether or not you found it necessary to modify the frame ramp, and
(5) your experience with Wilson's customer service

Don't need lengthy explanations, just a yea or nay/good or bad, and a brief idea as to why if you'd like.

Thanks, folks.

Best,
Jon
Ted Yost and I built on a Wilson slide and frame set for last years LTW raffle (generously donated by Wilson Combat) and one additional pistol since, so I can speak for a grand total of two.

1) All that I've seen have been forged
2) They were CNC'd, so there were a zillion little step over lines left from machining. They did clean up easily. About the only real negative from my vantage was the fairly large undercut that they put at the top of the checkering. That was tough to make into anything else.
3) Had no problems with hole locations.
4) I don't think I did. Can't be 100% certain, but if there was an issue it was very insignificant.
5) They've always done a great job for me.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:31 PM

EXCELLENT! Great info, guys. Great to hear from you again, Mark!

Superb info too, and just the sort of thing I was after. The issue I have with everything added having to be proprietary bothers me, but for a different reason: I have a bit of trouble getting a Wilson cut GS to fit tightly, and even when I can they seem to end up wiggling in the tangs and then requiring a bit o' additional work to correct that. So, I've just sorta steered clear of them.

Thanks again, guys.

Best,
Jon
Old 10-11-2009, 03:33 PM

John - I think our posts crossed paths. Thanks so much for adding your findings. Deeply appreciated.

Best,
Jon
Old 10-11-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Erickson View Post
... One disadvantage would be the mandatory use of their proprietary ejector...
Haven't seen that. How is it different?
As for the GS, are the new bar stock offerings better than the older cast GS? I had a few problems with a couple of those. Short on the bottom leaving too much gap too the MSH. Mold "slump" around the area of the pin hole making fitting a real problem.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:03 PM

The bar stock seem to fit up fine, length wise and obviously no mold slump to deal with. The fit up seems it is better on the barstock GS, very little in the way of excess wiggle. The overall lines when compared to a Ed Brown, McCormick, STI is less appealing to my eye, and they do not allow the hand to get as "high" on the gun as the others. The nice thing about the barstock GS is you can remove as much as you feel comfortable with..no voids, holes, etc..

Ejector is a single elongated cut not 2 pins as the Colt design, still pinned thru the frame. There is more mass in the Wilson looks very strong, not that I have broken alot of ejectors.

Best
Mark
Old 10-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Banned

Bill-
Here's a photo of the new style Wilson ejectors (photo Brownells):

I have only used one of the new Wilson grip safeties. It was nice, and I wouldn't hesitate to use one again.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:09 PM

Dave- Thanks for finding the pic, should have done that myself.

Mark
Old 10-11-2009, 06:14 PM

Thanks, guys!
Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 PM

"New Wilson grip safeties"? Have they changed since I last tried one a couple of years ago?
Old 10-11-2009, 08:07 PM

Jon-

Wilson began a line of parts cut from bar stock..same GS. CNC'd not cast, cost more very nice finish and quality.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:35 PM

Okay. Better quality, but same design. Gotcha.

Best,
Jon
Old 10-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Banned

Jon- this is from my WWP in-progress thread when I used a Wilson barstock grip safety. I think it is actually a NEW design that doubles as an ice cream scoop.

The scoop portion takes about 42 seconds to eliminate on a 50 grit belt.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:30 PM

Lordy. A little lower and it'd look like a Kings 206c!

Got to get me sander thingies on o' these days.

Thanks for takin' the time to post the photo, Dave. Much appreciated.

Best,
Jon
Old 10-11-2009, 11:52 PM

I built a pistol on a new Wilson frame several years back. It worked out great, nothing problematic due to dimensional deviations. I sold it this year.

Call it seller's remorse now.