1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 06-17-2001, 01:09 AM

Springfield Beavertail

I have a mil-spec Sprinfield and want a new beavertail for it. I want one with a raised pad at the base.

I looked in Brownell's, and it appears that the only one with a .220 radius to fit the Springfield is one from Smith & Alexander. Is this a good part? Are there others I'm missing? Thanks.
Old 06-17-2001, 01:35 PM

If your Springfield is a mil-spec, the frame tangs are too long for the S&A part. It's .220 radius is designed for the Springfield "loaded" models, not the mil-spec.

You can get a "drop-in" beavertail for mil-spec pistols from Kings Gun Works or you will need to cut the tangs to fit other beavertails.

------------------
Byron Simpson
Old 06-18-2001, 12:52 PM

If you want the Springfield beavertail (you will have to modify your frame), I will send you a Parkerized one that is like new for $20. It has the raised pad at the base. It came off a new Springfield loaded model.

Ledbetter.

[This message has been edited by Ledbetter (edited 06-18-2001).]
Old 06-18-2001, 04:29 PM

!

[This message has been edited by gyp_c (edited 06-22-2001).]
Old 06-23-2001, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GrandmasterB:
If your Springfield is a mil-spec, the frame tangs are too long for the S&A part. It's .220 radius is designed for the Springfield "loaded" models, not the mil-spec.
I posted a question about the Springfield grip safeties at GunSpot a few months ago and Richard Heinie said the .220 radius grip safety will work with the mil-spec Springfield and blend well on the top. Here's the link: http://gunspot.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000352.html

Old 06-23-2001, 10:12 PM

Marbo --

I guess I should have stated things more clearly. The S&A .220 radius beavertail is designed as a drop-in part for the Springfield Loaded models. This beavertail will work fine on a Springfield mil-spec, but IS NOT DROP-IN. The frame will have to be cut on a mil-spec to fit this beavertail.

I do not disagree with Mr. Heinie. I am sure he is correct that this beavertail will work nicely on a mil-spec and will blend well without having to add metal to the tops of the tangs, but you are still going to have to remove metal from the back and bottom of the tangs to fit it in the first place. You would have to do this on any mil-spec 1911 to fit most beavertails from Ed Brown, Wilson, Smith & Alexander, Chip McCormick, or whoever.

I believe Kings makes a beavertail for the Springfield mil-spec that is a drop-in part. Wilson makes a drop-in beavertail for Colt mil-specs, but declares it won't drop-in on a Springfield.

All of that being said, any beavertail can be fitted to any 1911, if the person doing the fitting is prepared to either remove metal or weld-up and add metal to make it fit right.
Old 06-24-2001, 01:36 AM

GrandmasterB,

The thing is, in the link I provided, Richard Heinie says the Loaded models have the same grip safety cut as the Wilson parts. Thats a .250 radius part. I have never seen anything, anywhere saying that the S&A .220 radius grip safety is a "drop-in" part for the loaded models. Even on S&A's website it only says it's recommended for Springfield frames. Doesn't say anything about Loaded models at all. I think it is "recommended" for the Springfields because it matches the curvature of the top of the tang, not because it's a drop in part.
Old 06-24-2001, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Here's the deal on .220 vs. .250 radius:

The .250 radius safeties are by far the most popular. However, the mil-spec and other older Springfield guns have a fairly short grip tang area, where if you fit a .250 safety to it you will end up with a small gap at the very top of the frame/safety junction, which doesn't hurt anything but will look asthetically unpleasing. S&A then came up with one with a shorter .220 radius that will close up the gap, and that's what Springfield adopted for their Loaded pistols. You can also fit a Wilson/Clark/Caspian safety to if you like, but it reqires an entirely different frame cut. And then the King's unit uses yet another different frame cut!

Or you can just forgo taking a file to your frame and just buy a drop-in beavertail from King's or Wilson. You need to get the one meant for Commander pistols as it matches the Springfield mil-spec frame tang, but you will also need to change your hammer to the rounded style or else bob the hammer spur.