1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Ammo Can

Old 10-06-2009, 08:48 PM

Golden Saber vs Hydra Shok

Went to the range on Sunday to test fire my Colt Series 80. Used 2 seven round Wilson mags with Federal 230 grain Hydra Shok. Ran 1st mag through with 7 rounds of Hydra Shok without any problems. 2nd (same Wilson mag) with 7 more Hydra Shoks resulted in 7th round stuck in chamber, unfired. I ejected the round, reloaded it in the Wilson mag an successfully fired it.

Next, I fired 68 rounds of 230 grain hardball without a single problem.

Should I stick with hardball for reliability or try Remington Golden Saber 230 grain hollow points? I had the same problem with Hydra Shok ammo in my Sig P232 in .380 acp. When I switched to the Remington Golden Saber .380 hollow points, they fed flawlessly in my .380.

I'm betting that Remington Golden Saber will be more reliable than Hydra Shok.
Based on experiences, what say you?

Last edited by Law Enforcement; 10-06-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
Old 10-06-2009, 09:11 PM

For years Hydra Shok was the duty round for both LAPD SWAT and SIS, as well a countless others. Nothing wrong with the round, just some guns like some rounds better then others. If it does not work in your gun move on.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:33 PM

Hydra Shoks can sometimes be iffy in 1911s. The Remington Golden Sabers have a frontal profile more similar to FMJ. Chances are better they will feed reliably in your gun. I would try them.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:08 PM

Check to see if you are experiencing setback with your Hydrashocks. I had a box that was very prone to setback even when just feeding it for the first time. This happened a few years ago and I haven't seen it since. My current HS ammo loads and unloads fine. And it runs like a champ.

But it is always a combination of ammo and mags and gun and extractor tension. What works in one might not work so well in another with the variables I have outlined.

I have two observations. One if my own, and one was told by an LEO:

1. Personally I like ACT mags. They are the bee's knees in my universe. I bought a whole case of aluminum Blazer ammo once that wouldn't function for anything. Turns out it wasn't crimped properly. Sat on the stuff for a few years. Later on when I discovered great success with ACT mags, I was curious if it would feed my "bad-blazer". Stuff ran like a scalded dog!

2. I know of a local LEO on road patrol out here. His duty ammo is not Hydrashock but some other brand. When he has to put down an injured deer, he switches to Hydrashock since it is more likely to kill the deer with one shot. His issued duty ammo doesn't. Now I am just a guy on the internet and you are getting this third-hand. So I would take it with a grain-of-salt. But in my universe, FHS is THE handgun ammo.

Keep messing with it. If you are going to be a 1911 guy, you need to be a mag guy and life is less-hard if you are an extractor guy too.

Regards,
Greyson
Old 10-07-2009, 03:56 AM

Both are yester-year technology. I would try something else and use Golden Sabre only if you can't get something of modern design to run reliably. Golden Sabre seems to be the standby for that situation. Also, buy some Bonded Golden Sabre rather than the regular stuff, just my .02
Old 10-07-2009, 08:09 AM

Golden Sabres feed well. Winchester Ranger SXTs are another good feeding round.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 AM

Keep messing with it. If you are going to be a 1911 guy, you need to be a mag guy and life is less-hard if you are an extractor guy too.

Regards,
Greyson[/QUOTE]

I need to thave that paticular Pearl Of Wisdom tattoed on the inside of my eyelid. That way, I could read it in my sleep.

salty