1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-11-2009, 01:20 PM
FlowEven FlowEven is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 36
RIA compliance in MA?




I'm looking into buying one off of gunbroker but I believe I need to have it shipped to an authorized FFL dealer.

I called a local gun shop to see if I could send one there and they said RIA are not Massachusetts compliant.

Is this true?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Brian48 Brian48 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Moonbat city (Boston), MA
Age: 49
Posts: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowEven View Post
I'm looking into buying one off of gunbroker but I believe I need to have it shipped to an authorized FFL dealer.

I called a local gun shop to see if I could send one there and they said RIA are not Massachusetts compliant.

Is this true?
RIAs are MA compliant. They're just hard to find since most dealers don't stock them.
__________________
Proud to have served.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Brian48 Brian48 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Moonbat city (Boston), MA
Age: 49
Posts: 1,954
If your particular gunshop needs convincing, here is the official list of MA AG approved handguns. Note that RIA is at the top of the list.

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/...er_08_2009.pdf
__________________
Proud to have served.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-11-2009, 02:45 PM
FlowEven FlowEven is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 36
Sorry I am kind of new to the whole online buying thing.

How would this work if I bought one off of Gunbroker? Would I need to have the seller send the gun to a local shop, and then buy it from the shop? Could the seller just send me the gun? If they do need to send it to the shop, who does the money go to?

Edit:: Just got off the phone with a third dealer that says they cannot do it because it is not a valid gun on the attorney generals list.

Last edited by FlowEven; 09-11-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-11-2009, 03:24 PM
DivePanama DivePanama is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
Age: 50
Posts: 5,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowEven View Post
Sorry I am kind of new to the whole online buying thing.

How would this work if I bought one off of Gunbroker? Would I need to have the seller send the gun to a local shop, and then buy it from the shop? Could the seller just send me the gun? If they do need to send it to the shop, who does the money go to?

Edit:: Just got off the phone with a third dealer that says they cannot do it because it is not a valid gun on the attorney generals list.
Just curious but what guns are considered valid then? Maybe it's because the RIA's are a series 70 style 1911? Just wondering.
__________________
COTEP member
NRA Endowment Life Member
Retired Paratrooper-Master Rated
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-11-2009, 03:26 PM
FlowEven FlowEven is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 36
I wouldn't think so because you can get a colt series 70/80 in MA.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-11-2009, 03:27 PM
FlowEven FlowEven is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian48 View Post
If your particular gunshop needs convincing, here is the official list of MA AG approved handguns. Note that RIA is at the top of the list.

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/...er_08_2009.pdf
I see your from Boston, do you own a RIA??
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Brian48 Brian48 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Moonbat city (Boston), MA
Age: 49
Posts: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowEven View Post
Sorry I am kind of new to the whole online buying thing.

How would this work if I bought one off of Gunbroker? Would I need to have the seller send the gun to a local shop, and then buy it from the shop? Could the seller just send me the gun? If they do need to send it to the shop, who does the money go to?

Edit:: Just got off the phone with a third dealer that says they cannot do it because it is not a valid gun on the attorney generals list.
Is the particular model you're looking for not on the list? The list does have several RIAs on it. Give them the URL to the .pdf that I sent you. It's current as of Aug '09. The firearms bureau in Chelsea, MA would confirm it for them if they're not sure.

Normally, if buying from gunbroker and the dealer is out of state, they will need to send the gun to a FFL holder (ie. dealer in your area). All you need to pay the local FFL holder is a transfer fee on for the FA-10 form. Usually this ranges from $25-50 depending on the dealer.
__________________
Proud to have served.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Brian48 Brian48 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Moonbat city (Boston), MA
Age: 49
Posts: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowEven View Post
I wouldn't think so because you can get a colt series 70/80 in MA.
Actually, you can only get a Colt Series 70/80 from a FFL holder or dealer if the gun was manufacturer and registered in-state prior to Oct '98, at which time the AG list took affect. MA dealers are prohibited from selling newer guns to MA residents because they are not on the list, although they can sell to out-of-state customers. The only way for a MA resident to purchase a newer Colt (post cutoff date) is via private sale from another MA resident who has "moved into" state with it.
__________________
Proud to have served.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-11-2009, 06:43 PM
FlowEven FlowEven is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian48 View Post
Actually, you can only get a Colt Series 70/80 from a FFL holder or dealer if the gun was manufacturer and registered in-state prior to Oct '98, at which time the AG list took affect. MA dealers are prohibited from selling newer guns to MA residents because they are not on the list, although they can sell to out-of-state customers. The only way for a MA resident to purchase a newer Colt (post cutoff date) is via private sale from another MA resident who has "moved into" state with it.
Gotcha.

So will I be able to buy a RIA if it not on the AG list of approved guns? Cause according to the shop I talked to it is not, though it is on the MA approved gun list.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Brian48 Brian48 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Moonbat city (Boston), MA
Age: 49
Posts: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowEven View Post
I see your from Boston, do you own a RIA??
No, but several local shooters in my area do. Most were bought ff gunbroker as well. As for myself, I did search for one intently last year, but no one stocked them locally. Finally gave up and got a new Kahr-built Auto-Ordnance instead, which turned out to be a great gun.
__________________
Proud to have served.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-11-2009, 07:46 PM
FlowEven FlowEven is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian48 View Post
No, but several local shooters in my area do. Most were bought ff gunbroker as well. As for myself, I did search for one intently last year, but no one stocked them locally. Finally gave up and got a new Kahr-built Auto-Ordnance instead, which turned out to be a great gun.
How did they get them if there not legal on the AG list?
Do you go shooting around here?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Brian48 Brian48 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Moonbat city (Boston), MA
Age: 49
Posts: 1,954
There is actually no separate list that I'm aware of other than the EOPS list. The AG sets the governing criteria for the testing, approval process, and terms of sale, but I've never seen a separate list. All this amounts to quite a bit of confusion. Not surprising considering all the moonbats and meatheads on Beacon Hill. It may be easier to just contact this local dealer and see what he says. He used to deal and sell quite a bit of RIAs.


Tackle Unlimited
6 Westview Dr
Stoughton, MA 02072

Contact Info:
Name: ALBERT PORGES
Fax: 781-344-4943
Phone: 781-344-4943
E-Mail: [email protected]

I do all my shooting at the Boston Gun & Rifle Assoc. gun club. It's the closest to my house.
__________________
Proud to have served.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2011 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved