1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 09-11-2009, 01:20 PM

RIA compliance in MA?

I'm looking into buying one off of gunbroker but I believe I need to have it shipped to an authorized FFL dealer.

I called a local gun shop to see if I could send one there and they said RIA are not Massachusetts compliant.

Is this true?
Old 09-11-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowEven View Post
I'm looking into buying one off of gunbroker but I believe I need to have it shipped to an authorized FFL dealer.

I called a local gun shop to see if I could send one there and they said RIA are not Massachusetts compliant.

Is this true?
RIAs are MA compliant. They're just hard to find since most dealers don't stock them.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:11 PM

If your particular gunshop needs convincing, here is the official list of MA AG approved handguns. Note that RIA is at the top of the list.

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/...er_08_2009.pdf
Old 09-11-2009, 02:45 PM

Sorry I am kind of new to the whole online buying thing.

How would this work if I bought one off of Gunbroker? Would I need to have the seller send the gun to a local shop, and then buy it from the shop? Could the seller just send me the gun? If they do need to send it to the shop, who does the money go to?

Edit:: Just got off the phone with a third dealer that says they cannot do it because it is not a valid gun on the attorney generals list.

Last edited by FlowEven; 09-11-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:24 PM

Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
Quote:

How would this work if I bought one off of Gunbroker? Would I need to have the seller send the gun to a local shop, and then buy it from the shop? Could the seller just send me the gun? If they do need to send it to the shop, who does the money go to?

Edit:: Just got off the phone with a third dealer that says they cannot do it because it is not a valid gun on the attorney generals list.
Just curious but what guns are considered valid then? Maybe it's because the RIA's are a series 70 style 1911? Just wondering.
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
Old 09-11-2009, 03:26 PM

I wouldn't think so because you can get a colt series 70/80 in MA.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian48 View Post
If your particular gunshop needs convincing, here is the official list of MA AG approved handguns. Note that RIA is at the top of the list.

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/...er_08_2009.pdf
I see your from Boston, do you own a RIA??
Old 09-11-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:

Is the particular model you're looking for not on the list? The list does have several RIAs on it. Give them the URL to the .pdf that I sent you. It's current as of Aug '09. The firearms bureau in Chelsea, MA would confirm it for them if they're not sure.

Normally, if buying from gunbroker and the dealer is out of state, they will need to send the gun to a FFL holder (ie. dealer in your area). All you need to pay the local FFL holder is a transfer fee on for the FA-10 form. Usually this ranges from $25-50 depending on the dealer.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't think so because you can get a colt series 70/80 in MA.
Actually, you can only get a Colt Series 70/80 from a FFL holder or dealer if the gun was manufacturer and registered in-state prior to Oct '98, at which time the AG list took affect. MA dealers are prohibited from selling newer guns to MA residents because they are not on the list, although they can sell to out-of-state customers. The only way for a MA resident to purchase a newer Colt (post cutoff date) is via private sale from another MA resident who has "moved into" state with it.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Actually, you can only get a Colt Series 70/80 from a FFL holder or dealer if the gun was manufacturer and registered in-state prior to Oct '98, at which time the AG list took affect. MA dealers are prohibited from selling newer guns to MA residents because they are not on the list, although they can sell to out-of-state customers. The only way for a MA resident to purchase a newer Colt (post cutoff date) is via private sale from another MA resident who has "moved into" state with it.
Gotcha.

So will I be able to buy a RIA if it not on the AG list of approved guns? Cause according to the shop I talked to it is not, though it is on the MA approved gun list.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I see your from Boston, do you own a RIA??
No, but several local shooters in my area do. Most were bought ff gunbroker as well. As for myself, I did search for one intently last year, but no one stocked them locally. Finally gave up and got a new Kahr-built Auto-Ordnance instead, which turned out to be a great gun.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
No, but several local shooters in my area do. Most were bought ff gunbroker as well. As for myself, I did search for one intently last year, but no one stocked them locally. Finally gave up and got a new Kahr-built Auto-Ordnance instead, which turned out to be a great gun.
How did they get them if there not legal on the AG list?
Do you go shooting around here?
Old 09-11-2009, 09:20 PM

There is actually no separate list that I'm aware of other than the EOPS list. The AG sets the governing criteria for the testing, approval process, and terms of sale, but I've never seen a separate list. All this amounts to quite a bit of confusion. Not surprising considering all the moonbats and meatheads on Beacon Hill. It may be easier to just contact this local dealer and see what he says. He used to deal and sell quite a bit of RIAs.

Tackle Unlimited
6 Westview Dr
Stoughton, MA 02072

Contact Info:
Name: ALBERT PORGES
Fax: 781-344-4943
Phone: 781-344-4943
E-Mail: [email protected]

I do all my shooting at the Boston Gun & Rifle Assoc. gun club. It's the closest to my house.