1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 09-06-2009, 09:16 PM

What is the best Colt for the money?

There's a twist to this question though. I'm looking for a non series 80 Colt, Government model and it has to have a few basic features already on it. Things like a lowered and flared ejection port, decent sight cuts, and possibly a beveled magwell or a beavertail. I guess the only thing I could compare this project to would be like somebody comparing a Springfield GI versus a Springfield Mil Spec version. For the money, the Mil spec has alot of commonly desired features or upgrades that would cost more in adding to a GI versus simply buying it from the factory in a Mil Spec. So, is there a Colt out there that is a great platform to begin with and could possibly save me money by having these common features already on it? By the way, I would not want a race gun, just a carry gun. It could be either blued or stainless too. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:55 PM

Sounds like a Colt Gunsite to me.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
Sounds like a Colt Gunsite to me.
Yep! IMO!

Grunt Out!
Old 09-06-2009, 10:30 PM

You may want to look for a gently used 1991A1, the only thing it doesn't have is a beavertail. Otherwise, look for a XSE.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:50 PM

I'd go for a brand new S70 with the Model O Pistol Package from the Colt Custom Shop:

Novak Rear Sight
Dovetail Front Sight
Upswept (S&A?) Grip Safety
Dehorned
Refinishd

Adds $375.00 to the base gun according to Colt's Price List and all work done by Colt.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 09-07-2009, 02:09 AM

I'd go with the Colt Gunsite for over-the-counter gratification if you don't mind front cocking serrations. You can get them from the Gunsite Gunsmithy. (They're even a bit cheaper if you are a Gunsite alumni.) Take a 250 class, select your pistola, and use it at the school. They will clean it for you every night, have it ready for you in the morning, and then ship it to your dealer when the class is over. If you need any other bells and whistles added (such as an ambi safety, tritium sight inserts or wider rear notch, they will add them for you, too - either after the class is over or during, in which case you will be given a loaner if they can't have it ready by the next day. Corey Trapp, their gunsmith, does very good work.

Otherwise, I'd go with a carefully-selected Colt S70 (s/s IMHO) with the Model O package, beveled mag well, high-cut front strap, and a "competition" trigger job spec'd for a 3.5 lb. - 4.5 lb. weight. I'd also have 30lpi checkering done as well, but that's just me.

Good luck!
Andy
Old 09-07-2009, 11:44 AM

Look at the Colt series 70 for a basic 1911 , taller front and rear sights , lower ejection port and a beautiful blue or stainless finish. Its a step above a GI model. The other ergonomic stuff you can get later.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj128 View Post
You may want to look for a gently used 1991A1, the only thing it doesn't have is a beavertail. Otherwise, look for a XSE.
The OP specified Series 70. The ones you named are series 80.

Like the other suggestions, I think you're limited to a Gunsite, a new or old series 70 with the model O package......another thought.... I will include the scarce possibility of finding an original series 70 Combat Gov't.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-love-deedlit View Post

.... I'm looking for a non series 80 Colt....

Remember, the series 80 parts can be removed and a $4.00 spacer (from Brownells) put in their place.

This essentially turns the series 80 into a series 70.

So, the series 80 XSE models now fall into your requirements.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I think you're limited to a Gunsite
I appreciate all the responces fellas. Although I do have a quick follow up question. I did a quick Google search on a Colt Gunsite and have found some curious at times confusing descriptions for this firearm. I've read that they are built on Caspian Frames, and I've read that they are commander slides fitted onto an officer's frame. I've read great things about them, but I've also read that they are no longer made. Can any of you dispel or confirm this information. Everything else sounds like it would be exactly what I would be looking for in a Colt. It would have the majority of the "extras" that I prefer in my 1911's so it seems rather promising. Thanks again for the info fellas.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I appreciate all the responces fellas. Although I do have a quick follow up question. I did a quick Google search on a Colt Gunsite and have found some curious at times confusing descriptions for this firearm. I've read that they are built on Caspian Frames, and I've read that they are commander slides fitted onto an officer's frame. I've read great things about them, but I've also read that they are no longer made. Can any of you dispel or confirm this information. Everything else sounds like it would be exactly what I would be looking for in a Colt. It would have the majority of the "extras" that I prefer in my 1911's so it seems rather promising. Thanks again for the info fellas.
Hello,

Colt Gunsite pistols (I am the proud owner of one in stainless finish) are 100%made at the Colt factory from forged blocks of steel (Colt Gunsite CCOs have an aluminium frame) and have nothing to do with former custom made Gunsite pistols made directly at the Gunsite custom shop from investment casting caspian frames and slides or Springfield Armory pistols (at some point between 2002 and 2003, they even offered some Colt 1991 pistols customized by them).

Colt Gunsite pistols were made for public sale between 2003 and 2005, but If I am not wrong they are still being made in small quantities for the Gunsite Academy.

I agree with Any and BTS, the Colt Gunsite pistol is really the best Colt for the money.

If you can not locate one in your area, you can even made your own by ordering a new Colt series 70 and then sending it to Colt for the wonderful " O custom Shop Package". A series 70 with the O custom Shop Package would look even better than a Gunsite (no front cocking serrations and more atractive roll marks).

In fact my two pistols (here we live under real gun control and have limited the number of guns we can own for sport shooting) are a Colt Gunsite stainless and a Colt Series 70 stainless customized by the Colt Custom Shop.

I really think that Colt is making a serious mistake by not offering a series 70 with the O custom shop package as a factory item. The series 70 should be expanded by adding new calibers like 9mm or .38 super or a Commander version. If they decide to make a CCO version (alike the Gunsite CCO) they would be a great seller.

Regards to all of you,

Javi

PD

Another and cheaper option is to buy the new series 80 Combat Elite in fact is it a Gunsite look alike (well, to tell you the truth, the pistol looks really good but I do not like the full lenght guide rod, the S&A grip safety without bumper or the long trigger)

Last edited by javichin colt; 09-07-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:06 PM

OK it is a series 80 but damn for the money its nice !

Old 09-08-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIG BALLS View Post
OK it is a series 80 but damn for the money its nice !

I dont care for two tone 1911's much less an 80 series BUT you can bet that if I saw that at my local gunshop I would have it on laway for my Xmas present to myself! Thanks for posting!

Grunt Out!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:25 PM

deedlit, Google Gunsite. Call them up and ask for the Gunsmithy. Susan will give you the straight scoop.

Regards,
Andy
Old 09-09-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
There's a twist to this question though. I'm looking for a non series 80 Colt, Government model and it has to have a few basic features already on it. Things like a lowered and flared ejection port, decent sight cuts, and possibly a beveled magwell or a beavertail. I guess the only thing I could compare this project to would be like somebody comparing a Springfield GI versus a Springfield Mil Spec version. For the money, the Mil spec has alot of commonly desired features or upgrades that would cost more in adding to a GI versus simply buying it from the factory in a Mil Spec. So, is there a Colt out there that is a great platform to begin with and could possibly save me money by having these common features already on it? By the way, I would not want a race gun, just a carry gun. It could be either blued or stainless too. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Don't let the Series 80 stop you from using it as a build. With the Series 80 you can use it as a 70 style or an 80 style. You can't go the other way around and make a Series 70 into an 80.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 PM

Sold my Gunsite to buy an SCG, best thing I ever did. Not knocking the Gunsite, but it didn't compare with the SCG.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:56 PM

Had 70s and 80s. Have switched the 80s firing pin safety in and out of a couple. Can tell NO difference! Decent polishing is all that is needed for my 2-bits worth.

Best shooters ... S-A Commander loaded, Series 70 Gold Cup, S-A TDP loaded. In that order. All are real good. Others have been ok, but not like these.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:11 PM

I just got this

Colt Combat Elie Got it yesterday.....Going to call in sick tomorrow and clean it early am, then go to the doctor, then guess where I'll be??
Old 10-21-2009, 09:53 AM

I'd say the 1991A1 model. I bought one that I had customized (Novak sights, commander hammer, King's grip safety) and haven't had any problems with. You could use as is and still have a fine pistol.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:15 AM

Might I suggest a

Or if you want something more modern, how about a 01970A1MA. It is just a Series 70 with better roll marks (in my eyes). Or a O1970A1CS. These are what Colts should be, and can be had reasonably low priced, and look fantastic to-boot.
Bill's Training Blog
Old 10-21-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyunker45 View Post
The OP specified Series 70. The ones you named are series 80.
The part that is amazing is the number of posters that don't know actual differences between 70 or 80 series, but they hear other posters say to avoid the 80, which is baseless in most cases.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:08 PM

Definitely agree that colt needs to expand the Series 70 line and make Combat Commanders and LW Commanders again!