1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 08-29-2009, 05:54 PM

Cabela's Triple K 1911 Flap Holster

I have been needing a good flap holster to protect my full size 1911 for some time. My 1911 is a factory stock Kimber. The holster would need to fully protect my 1911 while at the deer lease riding my four wheeler and in inclement weather. Total price including shipping is around $50.00.

When the holster arrived, the pistol was difficult to install and the flap hard to close due to extreme tightness. Even after leaving the pistol in the holster for 1 week, there was little change. The second thing noticed, approximately 2" of the end of the handle is not covered by the flap and is exposed to the elements.

Deer lease work day finally came this year and I usually carry my pistol to keep both hands free while cutting trails, posting signs, and riding my four wheeler. There are snakes, wild hogs, and occasional trespassers. A full flap holster is needed to keep debris and dirt out of the pistol. Imagine my disbelief when about two thirds through the day standing in the middle of 400 acres far from civilization, to notice my magazine had ejected from my pistol during the day, due to the very tight fit of the holster. Yes I carry a spare, but would not have realized my pistol had been reduced to a single shot until it was needed.

Now I am into this holster for an additional $25.00, the cost of the mag.

Cabelas has a 5 star review program on their products. Their current rating on this product is 4.7 stars. After registering on their site and posting the above information, my post and rating of 2 stars, 10 days later has not been posted. They say it may take up to 72 hrs. They obviously will not post anything that may hurt their sales. Take the reviews with a grain of salt. Learn from my error and pass on this one.

Last edited by dbarn; 08-29-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:28 PM

All I needs to read was "Cabela's" and knew it was going to be a crappy review at minimum.

That's the 2nd time in recent times I heard someone call a 1911 grip a "handle".
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-29-2009, 07:53 PM

Almost all of these replica 1911 holsters are actually made in China and are not the best quality like an El Paso Saddlery version.
Problem is, some of the replicas don't have the wood covered block inside that prevents the magazine release from being pressed.
Then too, these holsters are (more or less) made to USGI patterns, so non-Colt or US issue 1911's may be slightly larger in some areas and may fit even tighter.

However, the US Model 1912 and 1916 hip holsters WERE always tight when new. They break in with use, but they DO have to be broken in.

As for the "handle" being partially exposed, well, that's part of the design, and has been since 1912.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:18 PM

Here's a link to an exact photo of the holster. It's a little different than USGI. The flap gives the illusion that it might cover the "handle" but does not. You are correct, a wood block would solve the premature mag release problem. The slide must be locked to insert the pistol without moving the slide back.
http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/409/prd/134/
Old 08-29-2009, 09:08 PM

I agree that the photo gives the illusion of full grip coverage. As far as 1911 flap holsters go I have one of the Pacific Canvas and Leather ones and I like it just fine. The price was about the same as yours if I recall (about $50) and through Cabela's also. I have always had good luck with them, and they will stand behind their products. If you aren't happy with it send it back. Some guys will say that the PC&L quality suffers due to the fact that it is made in China. I will agree with this to an extent, but if you order a $50 holster you should probably expect to get a $50 holster. I'm sure that I will order one of the El Paso Saddlery ones for $125 when the funds are flowing freely.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:16 PM

I liked the full coverage of the Pacific canvas holster and called them. They stated the holster would not work with modern 1911 beaver tail grip safeties. Unfortunately.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:25 PM

Sorry, I re-read my post and it was a bit confusing as to my meaning. What I meant to say was: Call Cabela's and say that you are not pleased with the function of your holster and would like to return it. I'll bet they will take it back.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:40 PM

Will do. Now to try and find one that will fill the bill. Has anyone had experience with this holster? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=138449126
Old 08-30-2009, 09:41 AM

The protection would be there. Definitely an option. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-30-2009, 10:02 AM

I think Trailboss has a good option there. Most flap holsters will probably give you this type of grip exposure:
Attached Thumbnails
PC&L Holster.jpg  
Old 08-30-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRJim View Post
That's the 2nd time in recent times I heard someone call a 1911 grip a "handle".
The handle is the thing you put the clip into, and the clip holds the bullets,
Old 08-30-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercorvette View Post
The handle is the thing you put the clip into, and the clip holds the bullets,
Ah, now I got it!!
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-21-2009, 03:43 PM

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Spe...ter,792,34.htm