1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 08-25-2009, 04:49 PM

Springfield PW9701LP High Capacity to Tactical Pistol

I have a Springfield GI .45 High Capacity model PW9701LP that I would like to convert to a tactical pistol.

I would like to add a rail, magwell, etc...

As far as rails, I am familar with the Dawson rail, Caspian Recon rail and Novak's rail.

For the versatility of the rail, I am looking at the Caspian as it appear to be a better rail and has more device (lights/lasers, etc.) options than the Dawson and looks alot better cosmetically than the Novak rail.

I'd love to see some close up pics of add on rails on any 1911 platform, I have only seen a few of the Dawson.

I'm not sure if S&A or any other manufacturer makes a magwell for a high capacity model like the Springfield.

I imagine that any Para magwell would work as the Springfield uses Para P14 magazines.

I know it may be more cost effective to buy a high capacity 1911 with a rail, such as the STI or Caspian; however, I already have the pistol and might as well make use of it.

One day, my dream build of this pistol will be 10-8 sights, magwell, add-on rail, beavertail grip safety and commander style hammer.

Thanks for any pictures or input on the magwell and rail.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Banned

Great gun. Grip feels a lot better in my hand than the single stacks which once felt good, but now feel too thin. Wider grip spreads out recoil better, making for a softer shooting feel. Heavy frame also helps absorb some recoil. With it's weight and fat grip, the gun shoots .45acp more comfortably than single stacks. 14 round capacity with the UI of a 1911 is very nice indeed.

I have no need nor want of a light rail, so I can't help at all with that. But, here's what I had done to mine. Finish is black DLC Ion-Bond. Slide flats took a LOT of work to get evened out nicely. The upgraded sights was an absolute requirement. These are now Novak white outline tritiums. I can see them very clearly against any color target in daylight or darkness! Stock GI sights were totally useless to me. The upgraded grip safety is very nice. The upgraded fire control parts made a huge difference in trigger feel and pull weight. (Stock GI trigger pull was heavy and coarse.)

I ran it for a while with a Kimber stainless upper, just to see how the gun would be with actually useful sights. The Kimber upper instantly transformed this gun into something really, really nice! It shot a lot better (sight picture and accuracy) with the Kimber slide and barrel than with the stock upper.

Last edited by Urbuddy; 09-06-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:51 AM

what is the thickness of the magwell on this springfield?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:03 PM

S&A make magwells for Paras, give them a call and ask if their magwell will fit a Springer Hi cap.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:46 AM

Dead thread.. shucks I'm lost trying to research hi-cap magwells :-(
Old 04-02-2012, 06:34 AM

The S&A mag well for the para will work on the Springfield HC frame.
Rich
Old 04-02-2012, 07:04 AM

Rich is being modest, look up the SA hi-cap of his that was featured in Custom Combat Handguns. You can't miss it, its on the cover.