1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 07-25-2009, 08:35 AM

Carry permits alone a good tactic

I can't tell you how many times I think to myself watch what you say or do because your weapons and permit will be seized. I was leaving a Tim hortons this morning when a guy pulls up in the next lane throwing his empty cup to the ground while yapping on the phone! I said sternly "they make garbage cans ya know", he replied "suck my d**K b**th"! Now I'm pretty mild tempered guy but I saw red hearing that and yelled back "FU MF'r" and was about to follow him to see how tough the poodle on the porch really was....Wisdom kicked in immediately. The thought of losing my right to carry over some jerk doesn't sit well with me and it just wasn't worth it.

So, I guess in the future when I see someone littering (one of my pet peeves)I'll have to turn a blind eye as not to disturb a bee nest.

PS: The guy had a kid in a car seat that I later saw after the verbal exchange, I guess he didn't care about what kind of example he was setting.
Proverbs 29:10 Bloodthirsty men hate a man of integrity and seek to kill the upright.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:43 AM

PS: The guy had a kid in a car seat that I later saw after the verbal exchange, I guess he didn't care about what kind of example he was setting.

Anyone can be a parent; no training, no test, no permit, no brains, no class.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gunner View Post

Anyone can be a parent; no training, no test, no permit, no brains, no class.

+1 Anyone can be a parent, but being a mom and dad is different, his kid will turn out just like him.........
And you didn't know if he was packing either...........

Clyde
Old 07-25-2009, 02:13 PM

There is no and never will be any shortage of douche bags in this world.
I have to try very hard to not let them get to me.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:20 PM

Absolutely!.
Since getting my first permit in 2003, now on second good for 10 years,
I have been the absolute model of civility. I let everything blow over my head. Yet I keep a close watchful eye on everyone within sight of me when possible. You just never know where the BG is gonna come from.

You chose wisely, my friend.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:25 PM

^ Too cool! I'd love to have a set up like that.
Proverbs 29:10 Bloodthirsty men hate a man of integrity and seek to kill the upright.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:26 PM

I never think about losing my firearms license because of my behavior, but I do have more maturity and common sense than was expressed by the OP in the threadstarter!

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:47 PM

Great thread and post.

Agreed; having a carry permit and a loaded weapon on my person makes me far more conservative in my behavior. I think things out well in advance; one decision is to not escalate situations.

As appropriate, I'll report tag numbers, contact business management, and etc rather than try to fix the entire planet on my own. There are far too many morons for one person to resolve.

There's no "winning" if you have to draw down or worse on someone.

And besides- it's just a better planet if there's one more person managing their brain.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:34 PM

Good thing you didn't take the stupid path, but what did you think you were going to do by following him?
Old 07-26-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
I never think about losing my firearms license because of my behavior, but I do have more maturity and common sense than was expressed by the OP in the threadstarter!
My point about losing a permit was that there are times when people really test ya out there and a physical confrontation would surely make you lose your permit/firearms. I don't run around looking for trouble or get into fights at the drop of a hat (not my character). I'm merely saying that having a permit is just another reason/reminder to avoid scraps of the sort (right or wrong) because you probably have more to lose.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandupHookup View Post
Good thing you didn't take the stupid path, but what did you think you were going to do by following him?
I wanted to see what the heck that response and outburst was all about. I thought better of it quickly because I came to my common senses knowing I'd be putting myself into a bad situation and I'd be in the wrong for pursuing. As you stated it would have been stupid to follow but I had to get past the drenlin rush before the brain took over.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:53 PM

Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANCESWITHGUNS View Post
My point about losing a permit was that there are times when people really test ya out there and a physical confrontation would surely make you lose your permit/firearms. I don't run around looking for trouble or get into fights at the drop of a hat (not my character). I'm merely saying that having a permit is just another reason/reminder to avoid scraps of the sort (right or wrong) because you probably have more to lose.
JMO but losing ones CC permit should not be ones main reason for staying on the right side of the law. Here in WV we can either CC or OC and I do both. The last thing that I think about when in town is I need to stay law abiding or I will lose my ability to CC Instead I stay situationally aware, don't walk into a obviously bad situation(s) and know that pulling my pistol means that all other options have been exhausted. In the situation you described I say you almost escalated that into something it didn't need to be. No offense intended.

Regards,
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
Old 07-26-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss60 View Post
Back in the day, I had a buddy that James Bond'ed his Freightliner for people like that.

At the end of the day, he would drain his air tanks and a pile of grey/ varnish/ grease/ oil/water would expel from his air tanks. Having grown up in the depression era, and not being one to waste he installed angled ports on the tanks, and wired in solenoid switches so that he could perform 1 second purges on the go, dedicated switches on the driver and passenger side.
He would act like he was unaware that his tractor had any type of "malfunction" when someone was targeted, and litterbugs got their just rewards if he was able to get alongside them.

A convertible car filled with lowrider/gangster thugs in LA received quite a hosing one day...

I'm not condoning what the guy did, just reporting in....

Ironic, don't ya think?

Back on topic, I believe that those who respect their firearms and right to carry are great citizens. On the other hand, I do hear people say ignorant things like "I want to get my carry permit so I can walk around and no one will be able to F' with me." Those are the guys who give us a bad name.

Last edited by MXRider801; 07-26-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:59 PM

Long ago I decided that I am not going to try to be an enforcer of laws. That is the job of people appointed/hired to do that. I know people who try to police society, but it never turns out well.

Regards,
Jerry
Proverbs 14:34 *¶Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Back then, millions of trucks across the nation drained their air-tanks that way, and the DOT didn't have an issue with it. Ten years prior to that we had the crying indian on tv when he surveyed the trashed landscape, by comparison, that has always been socially unacceptable.

My buddy just lubricated them, kinda like a high speed pig greasing operation.
Yeah and a while ago we used lead paint and asbestos too.

I simply found it funny that his way of showing litter bugs he was displeased was to liter in front of/on them.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:57 AM
Super Moderator

I have actually picked up someones car litter, followed them home and dumped it on their lawn. They didn't like it much.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Sorry that you are all busted up over it...

Equating air tank drainage with illegally dumping haz-mat?
These guys had cut him off, slammed on their brakes, and then drew their fingers across their throats like they were going to slit his...all unprovoked by him.
{I didn't mention earlier: that incident wasn't started by littering}
He was an old vet that served at the frozen Chosin, one-on-one he would have taken them guys apart, they were let off easy.

Not saying I condoned him doing it, but I thought it was funny.

That's the last I have to say on that...sorry to the op for going off topic.
Busted up? Not even close. I'm actually getting a good chuckle out of this.

Like I said, it just struck me as funny. Also, I only referred to the parts in BOLD in my original post, hence the bolding. If you would care to review the parts I bolded in my original post, you would see that I was discussing the litterbug comment and nothing else. I don't care if he was provoked in other instances not involving littering. In fact, I don't care if he was provoked in the littering cases either. Although I'm sure in those litterbug cases, someone hurled a wrapper down to the ground in a very provoking fashion, justifying him in his oil spraying retaliation. Either way, fighting litter with litter tickled my funny bone.

And now to refer to another BOLD section of a quote of yours(see quote above), did I equate spilling a little bit of lubricant to dumping hazmat? Nope. And my comment didn't contain anything about dumping of any kind. The comment about using lead paint and asbestos was used to show that what we thought was "OK" wasn't. It was in response to your comment about DOT not worrying about it back then. Am I saying that compressor lubricant has been linked to health problems like lead and asbestos have? Nope. I'm saying that even though back then it wasn't considered irresponsible, it may be now. I don't know though, I don't read up on DOT regulations for trucks I don't drive.

I was hoping that you could see the parallelism in the comment I made. But, I guess looking for direct links and making bold accusations was the only possible outcome. I'll make sure to explicitly define all my comments that you may read from now on.

Did I explain myself thoroughly, or do I need to spell it out in crayon?

For further explanation, see notes located at the bottom of post.

Note: this is all in good fun and should be read in a joking fashion. This is how my friends and I joke around with each other. It can come off as condescending and very sarcastic. I apologize, that is just the way my sense of humor works.

Edit:

To the OP,

I am very sorry for sidetracking your thread.

Nick

Last edited by MXRider801; 07-27-2009 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Back in the day, I had a buddy that James Bond'ed his Freightliner for people like that.

At the end of the day, he would drain his air tanks and a pile of grey/ varnish/ grease/ oil/water would expel from his air tanks. Having grown up in the depression era, and not being one to waste he installed angled ports on the tanks, and wired in solenoid switches so that he could perform 1 second purges on the go, dedicated switches on the driver and passenger side.
He would act like he was unaware that his tractor had any type of "malfunction" when someone was targeted, and litterbugs got their just rewards if he was able to get alongside them.

A convertible car filled with lowrider/gangster thugs in LA received quite a hosing one day...

I'm not condoning what the guy did, just reporting in....
I could have used this today for a tailgater. /S

Before anyone jumps down my throat notice the /s for sarcasm.

Todd

To the op. I have had a similar experience. When I first started ccw. I did not have the gun on me at the time but I let my temper get the best of me once when someone cut me off. I then came to my senses and moved on.

Know being older and wiser I try to be overly nice. Almost disgustingly polite.

It is not always easy.

Todd
"We have discovered that the scheme of 'outlawing war' has made war more like an outlaw without making it less frequent, and that banishing the Knight, does not alleviate suffering of the peasant."--CS Lewis
Old 07-27-2009, 10:44 AM

Good tactic? Against yourself!

I agree though, I've become a little more humble since I got my permit. The real motivation is more awareness of losing my 2A rights though.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS500 View Post
I could have used this today for a tailgater. /S

Before anyone jumps down my throat notice the /s for sarcasm.

Todd

To the op. I have had a similar experience. When I first started ccw. I did not have the gun on me at the time but I let my temper get the best of me once when someone cut me off. I then came to my senses and moved on.

Know being older and wiser I try to be overly nice. Almost disgustingly polite.

It is not always easy.

Todd
On my Integra we have a squirter above the rear hatch glass and all I had to do is take a small screwdriver and move the ball down that keeps things from dripping out, so it still stops dripping but has the ability to shoot straight back. When I get tailgated for no reason a quick shot seems to let them know to ease off. It's pretty funny. I have had no one really realize where it's coming from, they just look around going *** just happend...

I have been working to keep a very calm head about situations. Even though I am 6'6" 260 and play football, I don't walk around all high and mighty and such, and I have so far been able to avoid violent situations like the plague. I have been running through scenarios in my head, as well as ones posted on these forums and asking myself how I would handle things and building a "log" so to speak in my head. I guess this just gives me confidence in myself that I can stay away from bad situations and work to dissolve anything that might flare up.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:57 PM

A man who would constantly carry a gun, or a Bible, should be un-offendable.
"If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.” Romans 12:18
Old 07-27-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
On my Integra we have a squirter above the rear hatch glass and all I had to do is take a small screwdriver and move the ball down that keeps things from dripping out, so it still stops dripping but has the ability to shoot straight back. When I get tailgated for no reason a quick shot seems to let them know to ease off. It's pretty funny. I have had no one really realize where it's coming from, they just look around going *** just happend...

I have been working to keep a very calm head about situations. Even though I am 6'6" 260 and play football, I don't walk around all high and mighty and such, and I have so far been able to avoid violent situations like the plague. I have been running through scenarios in my head, as well as ones posted on these forums and asking myself how I would handle things and building a "log" so to speak in my head. I guess this just gives me confidence in myself that I can stay away from bad situations and work to dissolve anything that might flare up.
Thursday,

I had a friend who's honda shot up from the windshield high enough to do this. He did it at a light to a guy in a convertible. The look on their face was priceless.

It has been my experience and I mean no offense by this; the people built like yourself are not the ones to watch out for, it is the little scrappy ones with the chip on their shoulders.

The way I see it the big ones most people say holy sh!t he's a big boy I will leave him alone. The little quiet ones they learn how to fight because they are constantly getting picked on and no one gives them the same respect.

Of course there are acceptions to the rule. I have seen a little guy pick out the biggest guy to prove a point.

YMMV.

Todd
"We have discovered that the scheme of 'outlawing war' has made war more like an outlaw without making it less frequent, and that banishing the Knight, does not alleviate suffering of the peasant."--CS Lewis

Last edited by TJS500; 07-27-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:15 PM

I gotta say, littering has become a pet peeve of mine since buying a house that sits off a state hwy (one of the little country one lanes each directions, but still a state hwy). Before that I would see the $500 fine for littering signs and think "gee, is that really necessary, how many people litter?" But, astoundingly, the answer apparently is "alot". I get to go out every damned day and pick up all the crap that people heave into my lawn. The ironic thing being I live in the country with big stretchs of woods, fields, etc between houses, and one would think that IF you were going to be a big enough scumbag as to throw your crap out of your car, you wouldn't WAIT until you were heaving it into some guys yard to do it. The other night my dog starts barking and I go look out the window, and there's a pickup pulled over out front. I'm wondering if it's someone I know or what's going on, flip on the porch light, and there's a guy standing there looking at my house and relieving himself into my yard! Again, with miles and miles of woods and such, who tf stops RIGHT IN FRONT of somebody's house and does this? If I'm ever on the jury of the person who dispatched some jerk like that I'll not only vote to let them off, I'll take them to lunch afterwards...

Last edited by scubie02; 07-27-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubie02 View Post
I gotta say, littering has become a pet peeve of mine since buying a house that sits off a state hwy (one of the little country one lanes each directions, but still a state hwy). Before that I would see the $500 fine for littering signs and think "gee, is that really necessary, how many people litter?" But, astoundingly, the answer apparently is "alot". I get to go out every damned day and pick up all the crap that people heave into my lawn. The ironic thing being I live in the country with big stretchs of woods, fields, etc between houses, and one would think that IF you were going to be a big enough scumbag as to throw your crap out of your car, you wouldn't WAIT into you were heaving it into some guys yard to do it. The other night my dog starts barking and I go look out the window, and there's a pickup pulled over out front. I'm wondering if it's someone I know or what's going on, flip on the porch light, and there's a guy standing there looking at my house and relieving himself into my yard! Again, with miles and miles of woods and such, who tf stops RIGHT IN FRONT of somebody's house and does this? If I'm ever on the jury of the person who dispatched some jerk like that I'll not only vote to let them off, I'll take them to lunch afterwards...
I too live on a state secondary highway. I have woods in front of the house. A few month ago some jerk parked at the end of my driveway using his cell phone. When I told him to move it down the road he flipped me the bird. I would not pull in front of someones house to urinate or park in someones driveway to use the cell phone. There are plenty of places with woods to do this.

People have lost common courtesy and respect for others people's property in this country. I have little ones and it is not the same as it was when I was their age.

Todd
Old 07-27-2009, 03:05 PM

Littering is pure and simple a lack of respect and a show of dominance IMO.

Cooler heads should prevail, regardless of CCW or not. The CCW is just a reminder that keeping cool is a good course of action. I can't count the number of times I've wanted to throw still burning cigarette butts back into the lap of the driver that threw them out their window. But again, keeping cool is the best course of action.

Regardless of what the OP said, I understood his meaning that losing cool is a good way to lose the CCW. But more importantly, the CCW served as a physical reminder that things could get ugly.