1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Revolvers

Old 07-25-2009, 01:49 AM

S&w 686

I'm looking at a 686 no dash in pretty good shape for $400. It has 4 inch barrel with Pachmyer grips. Are there any issues with this model? I am fairly new to S&Ws so I don't know what all the dashes mean. Also, the one I am looking at do not have a color case hardened hammer and trigger, is this abnormal? I may go make the deal in the morning so thanks for any replies.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:23 AM

The 686 no dash was in the S&W L-frame factory recall years ago. They were found to experience primer flow with magnum ammo. There was a factory mod (some parts replaced) done to them either at the factory, at warranty stations, or by armorers. If it has had the modification done, there will be the letter "M" stamped near the model number in the yoke cut in the frame.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:41 AM

I had an early 686 (purchased by me new in 1984) with no dash and it was a fine gun. Very robust and I put probably 3500 rounds of full magnums through it and another 2000 rounds of 38 special/38 special +P through it with no issues.
The top strap did have a 1/32" cut in it, from the erosion. But, when I sold it a few years back, action was still tight and the gun shot well.

$400 is a pretty good deal. Have it inspected by a gunsmith if you can.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:42 PM

1) No known "issues" other than the recall. The recall was to find a very small number of guns with out of spec fp bushings. Whether or not the gun has a "M" stamp on it does not matter - if you shoot magnums and have an issue, the factory will still repair it for free. It's a non-issue.

2) $400 is a good price for one these days - was the "going" price for a long time and up until about 2 years ago when prices ratcheted way upwards. Pachmayr's make it worth $40 or $50 less than a normal model with original grips, so $400 OTD for it with Pachmayr's is fair.

3) Go to the thehighroad.com and in the revolver section, there is a "revolver check-out" sticky from Jim March. Perform that on it pre-purchase if you can or before firing.

4) Expect for the 686-4 run with ch triggers/hammers, and then newer ones with MIM parts, all the 686s (and most all ss s&W guns) have come standard for decades and decades with flash chromed hammers and triggers; this is standard.

The 686 is an excellent 4" 357s, one of the all-time greats. Not as fancy as a python or S&W 27, but an outstanding gun. The other beauty is the SS finish can be refreshed easily at home, and some nice grips easily acquired. I believe this one had some wear and tear on it and rubber grips on it when I bought it years ago - now it looks factory fresh.