1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 07-24-2009, 03:29 PM

Brass for 9x23 Winchester

I've had some on order for months at Midway and at Grafs. Anybody out there know where I can find some Winchester 9x23 Winchester brass (don't want Starline).

Thanks if you can help!
Old 07-24-2009, 05:19 PM

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=239554
Old 07-25-2009, 02:53 PM

http://www.starlinebrass.com/index.php?cPath=1

look at the line that reads

The 9mm Super Comp (9x23) is of a new design

they still don't have any but they do make good brass and they support the gun sports very well.
ed
Old 07-26-2009, 05:57 AM

kicker

Starline has manufactured brass for numerous 'big' companies, including Winchester
Old 07-26-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESHOOT2 View Post
Starline has manufactured brass for numerous 'big' companies, including Winchester
Several references which appear reliable say to stay away from Starline 9x23 Winchester brass because the case web isn't as thick. However, those references were at least a year old.

Do you know of something which has changed? I can find the Starline brass.

Chip
Old 07-27-2009, 05:42 AM

I would check the validity of the statements about Starline brass in 9X23. I shoot every week end with 10 or more people who are shooting open with Starline brass. Only two of these shoot 9X23 but they do NOT have a problem with 125g at 1350-1400 fps and repeated loading in a short barrel ~3 in to the first port in one case and 5" in the other.
ed
Old 07-27-2009, 08:09 AM

I no nothing

I am not suggesting Starline makes Winchester's 9x23 case, and I am also not suggesting the Starline case is as durable as the Winchester 9x23 case.

I am suggesting the Starline 9x23 case may be good enough.

I have personally used Starline cases successfully in 9x19, 9x21, 38 Super and Special, 357 Magnum, 40 S&W, 400 CorBon, 10mm, 44 Magnum, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt.
While in certain cases they may not be best, they are always good.

The Winchester 9x23 case is very good.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:00 AM

Thanks guys! The last two posts were especially helpful.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:14 AM

I won't be the first to push the 9x23 limits in Starfire brass.

I won't be the first to push the 9x23 limits in Starline brass.

I consider my absolute limits in 9x23 to be a soft 147 grain at 1450 from a 5" long throated barrel with enough SP2 to touch that speed from below - not an average with some higher some lower but a peak - new brass Winchester small rifle primers - a stunt not a practice. Of course this can be easily and safely exceeded in 9x25.

Then again given that I carry factory Silvertips I have no real need to even come close to the limits.

It would be news indeed to me that Starline brass has changed so drastically over the past year as to match the Winchester brass - I know as well as I know anything that it hasn't in the past. Then again given that Winchester brass seems to be a seasonal run I'd cheerfully load appropriately in Starline brass for a lost brass match or otherwise (Bob Forker did a piece on loading the 9x23 in Starline brass for Guns & Ammo a few years ago with some loads I'd consider tested - I suspect a lack of Winchester brass and a deadline?).

Quote:
9MM SUPER COMP (Small Rifle or Pistol primer) .894"-.899" O.A.L. (Backordered expected availability: 08-31-2009 )
The 9mm Super Comp (9x23) is of a new design with a new head stamp as of 7-7-03. We have changed the head stamp to read 9x23 Comp to allow easier identification because it looked too similar to the .38 Super Comp head stamp. At the same time, we slightly changed the interior design to allow the seating of heavier bullets (i.e. 147 grains) but change will in no way affect performance of case for use with lighter bullets.
Emphasis added - as of 07/07/2003 the Starline was nowhere near the strength of the Winchest 9x23 - and as a further caution the extra thickness of the Winchester case means capacity will be less and so pressures will be higher, sometimes much higher in the Winchester case when loads are carried over from other cases. that is don't carry over loads from larger interior volume - most of the straight walled - but weaker cases in any belief that the load will be appropriate to the Winchester case.

Sadly the 9x23 is not getting a lot of attention these days - nor are many of the other semi-recognized special purpose .900 (nominal) rimless cases like the Tod Jarrett or the Lapua rimless. Anybody have more very recent information on brass to fit the 9x23 chamber closely (not straight walled) be it Starline or anybody else?

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 07-27-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: second thoughts
Old 07-27-2009, 01:24 PM

just me

I think-but-cannot-prove that the Hornady TJ case is the toughest.

I know the 9x23 Winchester case is super-tough, when you can get it.

I know Starline listens, and learns, and changes.

Buit that's all I know.

I no longer load any of the 'long' 9mms.....