1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Caspian Arms

Old 07-15-2009, 08:37 PM

A question for the pro's.

I'm in the process of building a commander and I'm having trouble with my slide stop. When I install it into the frame and slide notch the slide won't move and I can't see where it is binding. I think I will have to widen the slot in the slide stop to get a little more clearance.

Has any of you ran into this problem before?
Any and all suggestions will be greatly apprecated.

corob

Edit:

Thank you for the replies, I figured it out.
Their was a small bump on the the slide stop that was binding on the inside of the slide rail. I removed the bump with a needle file and the slide moves slick as a whistle now.

Thanks again,
corob

Last edited by corob; 07-15-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:57 PM

While no expert, I don't believe the slide stop groove is supposed to go into the slide except at the thinned area of the slide stop notch

Have you tried assembling the slide to the frame without the barrel and recoil spring and with the slide stop in place to see if the slide will move freely? If the slide is still bound in place, then it would seem that the slide stop is, in fact, somehow binding the slide.

I suspect, though, that the barrel or recoil spring guide is more likely the problem. Assuming the slide does move freely without the barrel, try then assembling the slide with barrel and slide stop. This is also assuming you have already fit the bottom lugs of the barrel. It they have not been fit, then the most likely cause is that the lugs cannot move with the slide stop pin in place because they are still too large. The Brownell's lug cutter is the easiest (outside a mill) way to fit the bottom lugs.

Keep us posted.

reloader
Old 07-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Banned

I would move this to the gunsmith section.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:08 PM

Double check to make certain that the slide stop is seated all the way into the frame. Also check for any burs on the stop.