1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Revolvers

Old 07-01-2009, 04:31 PM

Ruger .45LC/.45 ACP convertible question

I am considering buying a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in .45LC/.45 ACP . I was going to get just the .45 LC, but then thought "why not be more versitile?" My question is, is there any difference in the frames between the regular .45 LC Blackhawk and the convertible model? Why couldn't one get the regular model and later aquire a .45 ACP cylinder for it? What is the difference? If anyone knows, please share with me. I have sent the quesion to Ruger, but have received no answer. Thanks in advance for your help!!
Or smallness is simply this--his deeds.

-Tirukkural 51:504-505
Old 07-01-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Why couldn't one get the regular model and later aquire a .45 ACP cylinder for it?
Because they are hard to find, I don't think Ruger sells them separately, and they requiring fitting. Last time I checked this was the case. And the amount ruger charged then for the extra cylinder was darn cheap vs. getting one later and having it fit.

And no, there's no difference in the frames. Note that if you reload, "old" .45LC and "new" ones are different sizes. I believe Ruger sizes their .45LC to .452, same as an ACP with lead bullets. Before WWII, all .45LC was bored and sized to .454". You will want to mike the barrel and verify, or some other newer Ruger owners can chime in. So when you go to buy ammo or bullets for loading, you want to buy .452, probably, same as .45acp.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:32 AM

Well, since the RUger design is well past WWII perhaps it isn't
an issue but I hope Ruger owners with experience chime in.

Main question I have i

Is the Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible in
current production or is it search for a used one to get one.

I have an 1894 Marlin in .45 Colt and a Ruger Conv. would
go well with it, and my 625/1911 - I keep plenty of ACP in stock.

Randall
Old 07-02-2009, 10:57 AM

Kamerer nailed it. If you even think you might want to shoot 45 acp’s out of a blackhawk get the convertible.http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...&type=Revolver

As far as chamber throats and bore sizes go Ruger’s have their own peculiarities. The barrels are .451-.452 normally “choked” at the barrel threads, and the chamber throats will mike .451 down to as small as .449. I’ve heard of some older models even tighter.

For shooting jacketed bullets this poses no problems as the gilding metal appears to have a rebounding ability after passing through the chamber throats then “slugging” back up to barrel diameter.

For shooting lead bullets, reaming out the chamber throats (http://www.cylindersmith.com/) to .4525 then fire lapping the choke out of the barrel (http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm) seems to cure all ills.

I had to do this with my Accusport Bisley 45 Colt/acp.

Cheers.

Jeff

You don't understand...they killed my dog.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys!! I finally got a response back from Ruger. Here is what was said:

Comment / question:

I am considering buying a Blackhawk in .45 Colt or the .45 Colt/.45acp convertible. I am wondering what the differences are in the frames of these two guns. Is there any difference between them other than the extra cylinder on the convertible? Could I buy the .45 Colt and later get a .45 ACP cylinder for it? Please advise, so I can know which way to go with my purchase. I believe you make a fine product, and have enjoyed my Single Six for years now.

Thanks,
Steve

Response:
There is no difference in the frames. If you buy a blued .45 Colt, we can fit a .45 ACP cylinder for $175 including cylinder, labor, and return shipping.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys!! I finally got a response back from Ruger. Here is what was said:

Comment / question:

I am considering buying a Blackhawk in .45 Colt or the .45 Colt/.45acp convertible. I am wondering what the differences are in the frames of these two guns. Is there any difference between them other than the extra cylinder on the convertible? Could I buy the .45 Colt and later get a .45 ACP cylinder for it? Please advise, so I can know which way to go with my purchase. I believe you make a fine product, and have enjoyed my Single Six for years now.

Thanks,
Steve

Response:
There is no difference in the frames. If you buy a blued .45 Colt, we can fit a .45 ACP cylinder for $175 including cylinder, labor, and return shipping.

Thanks again, guys!!

Old 07-04-2009, 01:58 PM

Thanks Steve for sharing the response,
and the service/price for a .45 Colt Blackhawk
to get the extra ACP cylinder.

Far out.

Randall
Old 07-13-2009, 10:38 AM

I just added one yesterday...

...from a local gun shop. They had a new 4 5/8 blued model in stock.

This is my second one. In a moment of insanity, and lack of clarity, I traded my older one in on a Kimber Ultra Carry. I love the Kimber, but a dearly missed the Blackhawk. I have now rectified this grave error in judgement.

The .45ACP cylinder has the last three numbers of the serial number engraved on its face, so if you happen to find a used one, make sure this is done.

They're a blast to shoot. The shorter barrel turns it into a real flame thrower with more highly loaded .45 Colt loads.

On a more serious side, though, your accuracy with the .45 ACP may not be as good as with the .45 Colt. The .45ACP has to jump a bit more before entering the forcing cone.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:31 AM

I have bought a few over the years and they have been great. Of course I am a Colt 1911 lover and do have a "few" .45 ACP rounds.

My Bisley Blackhawk is a gun that seems to like 45LC over .45ACP, plus the .45ACP cyl. is fluted.

I have a 45LC only BlackHawk and it is nice I know I can send it back and have a second cyl. added. Now I reeeeely wished I had bought one of the birdseye grip 45LC Rugers.

I also have the .357mag 9mm convert. Blackhawk, and like it a lot but that is probably another thread.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
My Bisley Blackhawk is a gun that seems to like 45LC over .45ACP, plus the .45ACP cyl. is fluted.

Hey someone else with an Accusport Bisley!
My acp cylinder would only shoot JHP’s fair and nowhere near as good as my colt cylinder would shoot cheap “Keith” style lead SWC’s. After I had the chambers reamed http://www.cylindersmith.com/ both shot a bit better.
Neither cylinder will shoot Bevel base lead bullets worth a darn but flat base or gas checked bullets shoot great!

Jeff

Old 01-21-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltbed View Post
Kamerer nailed it. If you even think you might want to shoot 45 acp’s out of a blackhawk get the convertible.http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...&type=Revolver

As far as chamber throats and bore sizes go Ruger’s have their own peculiarities. The barrels are .451-.452 normally “choked” at the barrel threads, and the chamber throats will mike .451 down to as small as .449. I’ve heard of some older models even tighter.

For shooting jacketed bullets this poses no problems as the gilding metal appears to have a rebounding ability after passing through the chamber throats then “slugging” back up to barrel diameter.

For shooting lead bullets, reaming out the chamber throats (http://www.cylindersmith.com/) to .4525 then fire lapping the choke out of the barrel (http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm) seems to cure all ills.

I had to do this with my Accusport Bisley 45 Colt/acp.

Cheers.

Jeff
I called Ruger yesterday and they stated that the guns they are making now are ok with what ever ammo.
No reacalls or defects.
I have 3000 45acp 230gr rnl for my 1911 and plan on some going threw the Bisley 45lc/45acp blackhawk
Also looking at getting some Starline brass new at Cabells's have the 45/450gn flat point lyman mould
Old 01-21-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340six View Post
I called Ruger yesterday and they stated that the guns they are making now are ok with what ever ammo.
No reacalls or defects.
I have 3000 45acp 230gr rnl for my 1911 and plan on some going threw the Bisley 45lc/45acp blackhawk
Also looking at getting some Starline brass new at Cabells's have the 45/450gn flat point lyman mould
I hope you like your new Accusport Bisley.

What is 45/450 gn flat point lyman mould?

The heaviest bullet I've ever seen or loaded in my 45 Colt in a LBT designed 360 gr. FPGC.

Jeff

Old 01-21-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltbed View Post
I hope you like your new Accusport Bisley.

What is 45/450 gn flat point lyman mould?

The heaviest bullet I've ever seen or loaded in my 45 Colt in a LBT designed 360 gr. FPGC.

Jeff
The 450 is a 250 typed by a fat fingered guy who is dumb enought to post with out looking at what he typed sorry
This is the Lyman mould
Plan is to use a .452 luber/sizer in the Lyman 4500 {same size as the RCBS 45-230's for the 1911}

Last edited by 340six; 01-21-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:22 AM

Steve, budsgunshop.com usually has them in stock sooner or later. I got mine from them as well as a 357/9mm convertible also, plus a single six 22lr/22 mag. They are great guns and mine is more accurate than i am, thats for sure, lol. I have found i have to seat the 45 ACP rounds a little deeper than i would with a 1911 though, i just dont load near max levels so im not too worried about pressure. I shoot only cast rounds through them as thats all i shoot through the 45 colt cylinder.
Grab one if you can, you wont be sorry.