1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 10-07-2009, 04:43 PM

Dang it! I had to fish my monocle out of my Cheerios this morning after seeing your grip safety.

Why take the easy (cheesy) way out on a part that will get noticed immediately by everyone who looks at your gun? Unless you're on the clock, slow down a bit and FIT parts to your pistol instead of just throwing them in. You'll end up with a better pistol and something you can be proud of. That frame's going to need a finish put on it anyway, so now is the time for alterations. The best made and most stylish drop-in grip safety I've ever seen looked just like a.....drop-in grip safety.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rodgers View Post
Dang it! I had to fish my monocle out of my Cheerios this morning after seeing your grip safety.

Why take the easy (cheesy) way out on a part that will get noticed immediately by everyone who looks at your gun? Unless you're on the clock, slow down a bit and FIT parts to your pistol instead of just throwing them in. You'll end up with a better pistol and something you can be proud of. That frame's going to need a finish put on it anyway, so now is the time for alterations. The best made and most stylish drop-in grip safety I've ever seen looked just like a.....drop-in grip safety.
that would be good advice, if that was the desired outcome. but for me, it's not the way to go. one reason is that I don't like the way a blended beavertail looks, it seem too refined and sissy-ish to me (no offense), I like the utilitarian tool look more than the fancy style. Also, I prefer not to alter my frame. there will be a finish put on it - Duracoat. I was thinking Brick Red or Harley Orange, but my wife talked me down to gloss black, athough I'm still considering Diamondplate Silver. I'm just a bit unorthodox and unlikely to change at this late date. I certainly appreciate the fine pistols I see here made by others, though.

boy, I bet some of you fellows would really be outraged if you knew the lengths I'm going to in order to try to get some PHILLIPS head grip screws of the proper size and thread, looks like I'll have to rethread some bushings for that effect though...
Old 10-07-2009, 04:54 PM

Very unique ideas!

PLEASE continue to post photos as you implement them!
Old 10-07-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyballard View Post
yes, it is a drop-in, and it does seem to fit very well, with a lovely gap that's sure to make a few purists drop their monocles in horror-struck dismay.
The only thing I can say is......SCHULTZ!!!!

Last edited by Dave Berryhill; 10-07-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:23 PM

You guys after all have to realize Tracys built a number of guns at least 8 in the past and you're not dealing with a noobe. And they all look the same. Drop-in. A $6 Harbor Freight caliper is more than good enough.

LOG

Old 10-07-2009, 05:24 PM

now you're catching on!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
... And they all look the same. Drop-in. A $6 Harbor Freight caliper is more than good enough.
Now you just may be onto somethin' there, logster! Instead of just one "Gunsmithing" board why not have two? Perhaps ...

1. Gunsmithing: Drop In to Advanced
2. Gunsmithing: Drop In Forever

Both could be for folks who want to do drop-in builds. The difference would lie in whether the person thereafter wants to continue to learn and improve his skills and build quality (Board 1), or alternatively just keep slappin' stuff together (Board 2).

And the real beauty of that idea is that folks in one group won't be bothered with the white noise of the other.

Best,
Jon
Old 10-07-2009, 08:10 PM

BJ, if you want to keep throwing out the sarcastic remarks that's fine, but I hope you don't get upset if I throw in one or two occasionally.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:38 PM

Wasn't being sarcastic, tracy. I seriously think it would be a good idea.

As far as whether or not you feel the need to be sarcastic, that's your business.

Best,
Jon
Old 10-07-2009, 08:40 PM

whether a person wants to improve his skill or just keep slappin stuff together was not sarcastic? well, then my bad. I just seem to have a problem discerning attitudes through posts. all the best to you as well.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:45 PM

Sorry, bro. All I can see is "This message is hidden because tracyballard is on your ignore list." Congrats. In over 7 years, you're my first.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:47 PM

so that's how the ignore list works is it. I was curious about that.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 AM

Come on folks....

One man's Mona Lisa is another man's Crack Ho.....

To each his own, you go at it Tracy even if it hurts my eyes to look at it. Please, just no lime green Delta grips.

Best regards,
Joseph
Old 10-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Banned

All I know is that he pretty much just called the rest of us who like fitted parts sissy-ish. I wouldn't ask too many more questions around here Tracy as it seems you pissed off quite a bit of the people that were willing to help you. Seems that you just post every question you can think of here without trying to find the answer yourself.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspian17 View Post
Seems that you just post every question you can think of here without trying to find the answer yourself.

such as?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joszx67 View Post
One man's Mona Lisa is another man's Crack Ho.....

To each his own, you go at it Tracy even if it hurts my eyes to look at it. Please, just no lime green Delta grips.

Best regards,
Joseph
how about some yellow ones? I've got some DE grips in various colors, minus the DE medallions. just got to find some colt medallions to put in em. probably use blue ones though...
Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspian17 View Post
All I know is that he pretty much just called the rest of us who like fitted parts sissy-ish. I wouldn't ask too many more questions around here Tracy as it seems you pissed off quite a bit of the people that were willing to help you. Seems that you just post every question you can think of here without trying to find the answer yourself.
Yes, he did! However it is apparent why someone would do that if you've ever raised any children. When an immature person fails at doing something that takes skill they will suggest that what ever the endeavor just isn't what they like. It's their way of rationalizing and protecting their ego. They know they are a failure, but want to hide this and cover it up with excuses. I can't play tennis because the racket isn't any good I heard a daughter say once. Very funny!

LOG

Old 10-08-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Yes, he did! However it is apparent why someone would do that if you've ever raised any children. When an immature person fails at doing something that takes skill they will suggest that what ever the endeavor just isn't what they like. It's their way of rationalizing and protecting their ego. They know they are a failure, but want to hide this and cover it up with excuses. I can't play tennis because the racket isn't any good I heard a daughter say once. Very funny!

LOG
I like to put guns together as a hobby, it's something I enjoy and doesn't interfere too much with my work and family life. I also like to build guns the way I like them to look. Other people can do what they want. Is that really so bad?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I like to put guns together as a hobby, it's something I enjoy and doesn't interfere too much with my work and family life. I also like to build guns the way I like them to look. Other people can do what they want. Is that really so bad?
Not as long as the guy who likes to go to the driving range and drive golf balls only, doesn't resort to insulting the game of golf as being for sissies.

You enjoy a poke at what you can't achieve and have low self esteem, and attempt to feel better about your short comings by insulting others that are more skilled than yourself. It's childish. We all start with nothing. If you like garish crude construction do it with a flare and skill that is hard to rival. The 1911 offers a lot more than a dime store puzzle.

LOG

Old 10-08-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Not as long as the guy who likes to go to the driving range and drive golf balls only, doesn't resort to insulting the game of golf as being for sissies.

You enjoy a poke at what you can't achieve and have low self esteem, and attempt to feel better about your short comings by insulting others that are more skilled than yourself. It's childish. We all start with nothing. If you like garish crude construction do it with a flare and skill that is hard to rival. The 1911 offers a lot more than a dime store puzzle.

LOG
I think if you will re-examine my posts, you will see that what you perceive as insults are really responses to other people putting down my way of doing things. And again, I'm not trying to insult anyone, I try to keep all my post friendly. I said no offense about the sissy-ish comment, it was a humorous response to someone saying that the blended look was "better" than my way. If you think that means I'm a failure I can live with that, but I wish you wouldn't think I'm trying to insult or demean anyone. peace
Old 10-08-2009, 11:05 AM

ps LOG - if I really need some technical advice on gunsmithing, you're the go to guy in my opinion. hope you don't decide to put me on ignore...
Old 10-08-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I think if you will re-examine my posts, you will see that what you perceive as insults are really responses to other people putting down my way of doing things. And again, I'm not trying to insult anyone, I try to keep all my post friendly. I said no offense about the sissy-ish comment, it was a humorous response to someone saying that the blended look was "better" than my way. If you think that means I'm a failure I can live with that, but I wish you wouldn't think I'm trying to insult or demean anyone. peace
It's called passive aggressive. It can be fun, but there are consequences. You are and have been experiencing that.

If this were your first gun it would be more understandable that all drop-in parts be used, heck you may only barely be able to assemble, so bravo for the learning attempt.

Do you like your guns to be more accurate? That seems to be at the heart of improvements, make it better. This idea of improving then moves into all things. Is finely fit not better than poorly fit and why would anyone like poorly fit in a medium that strives for better, more accurate. A $30 barrel is what strikes your interest? That's not better that's getting by.

As I said if what you are doing satisfies you, just do it really well before insulting others and then taking it back. That again is childish. We can all take a joke and enjoy it, but haven't heard anything funny yet.

LOG

Old 10-08-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
ps LOG - if I really need some technical advice on gunsmithing, you're the go to guy in my opinion. hope you don't decide to put me on ignore...
Not yet, this discourse is good to explore as of now, but 9 others are.

LOG

Old 10-08-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
We can all take a joke and enjoy it, but haven't heard anything funny yet.

LOG
that's a good one Log...and I'll try to restrain myself. and I also admit that sissy-ish wasn't really the word I wanted at that time. I think "civilian" would have been a better word to describe what I meant, and "military" to describe the look I like (except for the garish paint jobs, ok, I don't make a lot of sense sometimes either).
Old 10-08-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Not yet, this discourse is good to explore as of now, but 9 others are.

LOG

well, I won't hold that against anyone. no one should have to put up with more annoyance than they can tolerate in good humour.