1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 05-12-2009, 05:54 PM

Alcan primers

I got a hold of some "Alcan Max-Fire" large pistol primers. I normally use Winchester large pistol primers with 3.8 grains of Clays and a 185gr semi wad cutter head (.45acp). Can I just use the Alcans in place of the Winchesters?
Old 05-12-2009, 05:59 PM

I don't see why not. Alcan used to be a respected name in reloading supplies. I guess the bigs just kind of ground them down.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I don't see why not. Alcan used to be a respected name in reloading supplies. I guess the bigs just kind of ground them down.
What Jim said-if stored properly, use 'em up. I've been using a can of their al-5 powder that's older than me in swc loads without complaint.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:46 AM

Been a long time since I've had any, but I burned up many thousands of Alcan primers during the late 70's/early 80's in .45acp IPSC loads.

For the sort of reload as the one you quoted, they're as good as anyone else's primers. The ones I had back in the day were unplated, giving a more "generic" look to the ammo, but they still went bang all the time.

Enjoy 'em while you've got 'em!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:20 PM

Oh, those Alcans always were every bit as good as all the others.
Put one in an empty case and pop it off to make sure it goes bang.
Then load the rest as usual.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:42 PM

thanks

Thanks to all for your comments. I tried 25 rounds with no problem. They seem to make a little different sound when they go off, but they all went bang, and accuracy was fine.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:05 PM

A few months back I found a hidden treasure trove of about 2 M Alcan Maxfire small pistol primers. Loaded up a fifty cal can of .38 Special 158 SWC's and a few hundred 148 wadcutters for good measure. Of course I had the good sense (for once in my life at least) to practice the load ten shoot ten procedure I picked up here on the forum. Nary a problem. If my memory serves me correctly CCI (Cascade Cartridge) bought them out a few decades ago. They feel like CCI's during the priming process.

Shoot 'em up and have a good time doing it.