1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:01 AM

Space Coast bullets

Space Coast Bullets in Melbourne, Fl, has been a source I have used for their hard cast bullets. Since they are 30 miles from my home, I would purchase bullets there when I was in the area.

Unfortunately, I will no longer use them as a supplier. I don't know why, but they are always out of stock. In addition, since lead has come down in price, they continue to keep prices higher than other suppliers. If anyone plans to use them as a supplier, I would make it a point to find out if they have your bullets in stock. There standard reply is, "we should have some in two weeks" which is often untrue. It's bad enough we have to wait for primers.....lead bullets shouldn't be a problem.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:08 AM

Try the Zero Bullets. PowderValley has had good prices on them
Old 05-03-2009, 11:10 AM

I think you will find that many casters loaded up on lead at the higher prices as a hedge against lead shortages, as it seemed at the time, and higher prices for future lead purchases. It is no different than everyone else who needs to by commodities such as oil. Once they commit to that they need to recover those costs and it will take some time, in theory, to work out of that stock.

Now the times have changed again with our new President and there is a scare he will regulate ammunition so that has put a higher demand on bullets, both lead and jacketed which also contain lead core. Supply and demand now takes over pricing.

In short, we can't win. For a few dollars you can start casting your own if you have a source of lead. Even if you have to pay $1 a pound for lead that means a 200 grain lead bullet would cost you less than 3 cents or $15 per 1000 plus your time and some lube. ($1 divided by 35=$0.029 each)

The above assumes you will not have to add some tin or antimony which would be necessary if using pure lead. If you can get range lead then it's all there anyway. Wheel weights, if you can find them, can be used as is also-no additives. If you want harder bullets just drop them in water as you cast instead of on the bench. Just remember, these little buggers are hot.
The nice thing about casting is that you will not run out of bullets and be dependent on a source. Casting is not that difficult or dangerous if done right.

John

I'm going to live forever.
So far, so good.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:40 PM

PowderValley out of stock

Quote:
Try the Zero Bullets. PowderValley has had good prices on them
Just check there site. There out of stock.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:35 PM

I don't have a issue with them, like most companies the rush was on again when Obama got elected. The price of component's went up because base material suppliers were charging more. I watched 5.56 brass on line almost double in just a couple months.
Most companies are having issues getting raw material and are also dealing with a massive influx of orders.
As far as the bullets they make go Im happy with them hard and true to size. I shoot mainly 9mm and .45 acp lead from space coast. I do alox then before loading but that's just me.
The lady in the retail store is really nice and helpful always got a smile on her face,and the owner is willing to help with loading advice. Its local to for me anyway. And I prefer to support local companies when possible. I will order online from time to time but most of my components come from the scb store.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:57 PM

4 Year Old Thread Alert !!!
Old 08-11-2013, 02:43 PM

***! Over
From the hills.....
Old 08-11-2013, 02:53 PM

I'm with Robert.

I live in Vero and try make a trip to SCB once a week or maybe once every two weeks and have been very happy with them and will support them whenever possible. Richard is always very helpful and Steve went way out of his way to show me the ropes of reloading back whenever I first got into reloading ... good folks in my estimation.

You think they are priced high? I was just down in West Palm yesterday and hit Gander Mountain while there, Federal small pistol primers were $59 for 1,000 which is $20 higher than SCB.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:54 PM

Whoa ... I didn't notice the 4 year old thread.

Oh we'll, SCB are still my go to source.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Rich may have an update for us, but I'm going to lock this thread anyway. No point in discussing 4 year old service and prices.

NRA Life Member
Closed Thread