1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 05-01-2009, 06:44 AM

Recoil & Firing Pin Spring Replacement

First 1911, first gun as a matter of fact, I've got about 1,000 rounds through my Kimber Custom II. I'd been planning to replace the recoil spring at 2,000 rounds. Should I also replace the firing pin spring? Should stick with Kimber replacement springs or should I look to one of the aftermarket suppliers?

Thanks,
Old 05-01-2009, 09:36 AM

In my experience 5000 rounds is OK for recoil spring and FP replacement on a 45 ACP 5" steel 1911 pistol. I have measured several springs and generally they are very close to the original rate at this round count.

Woff springs are great for 1911s.

On a side note, when I see those manufacturers that indicate recoil spring change at 500 rounds in ultra compact 1911s, I think "I don't want one that picky"... thatīs a recoil spring change every three shooting sessions.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:03 AM

Wolff sells a recoil spring/firing pin spring combination, so it makes it almost a no brainer to change both at the same time. For a 5 inch (full size/Government model) the "experts" seem to say replace at 1000 to 5000 rounds. If you look at the cost of the springs, they're "cheap" so buy them in lots of 10 so you always have some on hand. In a Series 70 the firing pin spring is actually a major safety component so replacing at regular intervals is good.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:58 PM

Thanks,
I haven't seen any instructions on replacing the firing pin safety, how hard is it?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:26 AM

Are you wanting to replace the firing pin spring, or plunger in the slide?) (The fp block is grip safety activated in Kimbers, but retained under the rear sight, I believe, on a Kimber; on a Series 80 Colt or Para, the extractor holds the firing pin block in position)

On either pistol, the firing pin and /or spring is removed by trapping the FP in front of the FP block (with slide removed, pres FP plunger in slide, push in FP about .5", and release fp plunger, which allows it to be trapped in front of plunger. next, remove FP stop, then carefully, with fp fole covered, depress the plunger at bottom of slide. (Careful, under spring pressure)
Old 05-02-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer View Post
Wolff sells a recoil spring/firing pin spring combination, so it makes it almost a no brainer to change both at the same time. For a 5 inch (full size/Government model) the "experts" seem to say replace at 1000 to 5000 rounds. If you look at the cost of the springs, they're "cheap" so buy them in lots of 10 so you always have some on hand. In a Series 70 the firing pin spring is actually a major safety component so replacing at regular intervals is good.
I agree - buy the Wolff springs in the 10 packs of recoil / firing pin springs and set a regular interval for replacement. I am the gunsmith / armorer for my department and I replace all the springs in July (fiscal year) for our Kimbers. The SWAT guys generally put 2,000-3,000 rounds a year through their TLE's and the yearly replacement keeps them running without a hitch. The original springs went about 1,000-1,500 rounds before we noticed feeding issues. The Wolff have had no issues and could go longer between replacement but I replace them anyway - cheap insurance.