1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 04-29-2009, 09:51 AM

Series 80 Trigger Parts

I need some information and the search function is not giving me the answer I want. (wrong search terms?) I have my eye on a new Delta that my local shop has but it's going to need an action job. I have never owned a series 80 before and simply need to know if the colts parts will hold a good trigger job or should I think about replacing the hammer and sear, and will this require special parts due to the series 80 safety?
Thanks guys and I'm sorry I couldn't find the answer by searching as I'm sure this has been answered before.

http://adventureswithshortguns.wordpress.com/
Old 04-29-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley45 View Post
I need some information and the search function is not giving me the answer I want. (wrong search terms?) I have my eye on a new Delta that my local shop has but it's going to need an action job. I have never owned a series 80 before and simply need to know if the colts parts will hold a good trigger job or should I think about replacing the hammer and sear, and will this require special parts due to the series 80 safety?
Thanks guys and I'm sorry I couldn't find the answer by searching as I'm sure this has been answered before.
The Colt parts will do fine, and all parts are the same except the Series 80 hammers have a non-captive half cock notch, however all 1911 hammers will work well.

LOG

Old 04-29-2009, 10:49 AM

Thanks

http://adventureswithshortguns.wordpress.com/
Old 05-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Banned

Series 80 Government Model before:

The trigger was in my parts box as were the grips.

After:

I used the Nowlin "drop in" hammer, sear, disconnector, spring "kit."

I needed to fit a beavertail grip safety so I could use the pistol for practice and to match the pistols I frequently carry. This is 9mm but the fire control parts are the same.

-- Chuck
Old 05-01-2009, 10:19 PM

Stock colt part can make for an excellent ignition system. However it is my opinion that not all gunsmiths and certainly even fewer DIYers have a proper grasp on series 80 timing. Timing is every thing. Stock parts work just fine if timed correctly. I have seen more that a few stock colts with series 80 parts that I wouldn’t want to trust my life to. Love the Delta 10mm.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:01 PM

For those who want to understand the Series 80 Timing checks, get on Ebay or one of the other gun sites and pickup a copy of the factory Colt 1911 Armorers manual. It's a skinny booklet that focuses on this and makes it pretty easy to check properly, and is usually only a few dollars.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Series 80 system, properly installed and adjusted. I have two Colt 1911 Series 80 IPSC Limited guns, and you cannot tell they are Series 80 models by the triggers, which are excellent. Series 80 is an excuse used by less than great gunsmiths for a mediocre trigger job!

CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer