1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 04-25-2009, 10:18 PM

NEW Savage 10 Precision Carbine Camo AccuStock *Pics*

New out by Savage Arms for 2009. It's a nice looking rifle in digital camo, DBM. oversize bolt handle, medium contour heavy barrel AccuStock & Trigger.

Model 10 Precision Carbine –with AccuTrigger™, AccuStock™, and Detachable Box Magazine

* Note: AccuStock™ included on 2009 or newer models only.

Action
Short
Caliber
223 Rem, 308 Win
Overall Length
40.5"
Barrel Length
20"
Weight
7.0 lbs
Magazine Capacity
4 rounds
Stock
Digital green camo AccuStock™ with aluminum spine and three-dimensional bedding cradle
Sights
Drilled and tapped for scope mounts
Rifling Rate of Twist
223 Rem (1 in 9")
308 Win (1 in 10")

Features
AccuTrigger™, AccuStock™, matte blued barrel action, Medium contour free-floating button-rifled barrel, detachable box magazine swivel stud for bipod, oversized bolt handle
Suggested Retail $829.00 - Regular retail $699

AccuStock intro:

Molded polymer stocks are light and inexpensive. However, they tend to be flexy and hard to bed. Savage has engineered a solution to this. The new Savage “AccuStock” employs an aluminum inner section combining a bedding block with a “spine” in the forearm. According to Savage: “With its integral aluminum spine that runs from the action down the length of the forearm, the AccuStock is the most rigid factory polymer stock in the marketplace. No matter how hot the weather or the barrel, the forend stays rock-solid and the barrel remains free-floating.”

The aluminum cradle surrounding the action is more than a conventional bedding block. The AccuStock uses a wedge bolt to push the recoil lug back into the aluminum spine to prevent any movement forward, while the bedding cradle squeezes the action from the sides when the action screws are tightened. That is something new, and it seems like a promising design. Savage explains: “Pillar-bedded and v-block stocks, as good as they are, only apply bedding pressure on one axis, up and down.” By contrast, the new AccuStock is designed to grip the action from the sides as well as the bottom.

The pictures and a few thoughts:

It's a nice looking LTR and has a nice feel to it. For those who like to paint their Tactical Precision Stick, most of the work is already done for you. Karsten adj cheek piece, Sharp Shooter Supply hi cap mag would be nice additions.

The accuracy reports on this rifle, I have read, have been excellent. Most Savage rifles shoot well out of the box.

This picture shows the width of the forend. This AccuStock doesn't have a beavertail forend like the one on the 10FCP-K model. The picture on the Savage website shows it only has one sling swivel stud but it actually comes with two. It also shows a closeup of the digital camo pattern; it looks nice and it's very durable. However it has one slight problem I discuss below.

A view of the bottom of the stock and it's hardened steel bottom metal with nice detachable box mag and shows the new location of the bolt release. It's now in front of the trigger guard. It's in an very good location for both right hand and left hand shooters. I like the way it looks, it's located and is very easy to depress. It can be a pain when it comes time to remove the action screw that is located underneath.

The new camo AccuStock:

This AccuStock appears to be made of fiberglass. It has a hard brittle feel to it and the forend has no flex to it with a bipod installed. The barrel is free floated but it has a very close barrel to stock fit. The barrel channel on some of these rifles might need to be opened up a little. The only problem I see with this stock is and Savage should have recognized it before it was released to the public. The finish is very porous and gets dirty very easy. It doesn't clean up well with regular soap and water. My suggestion would be for anyone looking to buy a 10PC rifle is to put a sealer on the stock as soon as you get it. Brownells Aluma Hyde II clear matte would be good sealer for this stock.

Last look and thoughts:

Another look at the rifle in different lighting. You can also can see how the barrel tappers towards the end on the medium contour barrel. You won't miss the extra barrel thickness. The contour of the barrel aids in the balance of the rifle. The short 20" length makes it very rigid and most likely will allow excellent accuracy. Savage was going for an affordable, unique looking, easy to deploy LTR precision shooter and they did a pretty good job in my opinion.

Looks like Savage has hit another home run.

GC
Old 04-25-2009, 11:51 PM

Thanks for taking the pics and posting the info on these. Very nice looking rifle. Just last FRiday, I called Savage to see if they'd also be providing these rifles in LH version, as they are with the 10 FLCP-K. But sadly, they're not.

I wonder if we got a bunch of LH rifle shooters to petition Savage and make a special order of LH 10 PC's, maybe they'd do it?
Old 05-03-2009, 07:48 PM

Max100, another question on these:

Do you know what TYPE of mag these new Savage rifles will accept? Are they using a proprietary mag, or are they going with a standard mag-type such as FAL, DPMS, M1a, or Accuracy International?
Old 05-04-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Max100, another question on these:

Do you know what TYPE of mag these new Savage rifles will accept? Are they using a proprietary mag, or are they going with a standard mag-type such as FAL, DPMS, M1a, or Accuracy International?
They use Savage factory mags. Sharp Shooter Supply makes 9 round Hi-Cap mag for the Savage rifles. You buy the kit to convert the mag that comes with the rifle or buy a complete mag. You should only need one Hi-Cap mag.

GC
Old 05-04-2009, 01:34 AM

Have you heard anything about the Vbull Precision DMS system, that can be used to upgrade a Savage to take an Accuracy International 10rd mag? I've heard that the Savage mag system is a bit flimsy and not all that robust, but that the Vbull system is incredibly strong and reliable, on par with the Badger Ordnance DMS system for Remington 700's.

The VBull site is down temporarily, but the magwell device is pictured and priced in the following links to another site:

http://www.jwprecision.ca/mat.html
http://www.jwprecision.ca/prices.html
Old 05-04-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I've heard that the Savage mag system is a bit flimsy and not all that robust
I don't agree. The bottom metal on the Savage is made of hardened steel. The mag is made out of steel too. It's nicer and more robust than any bottom metal offered on any factory rifle. Many AR15 and AK47 rifle mags are made out of polymer.

Here is a thread I posted that shows pictures of the bottom metal.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=230783

GC
Old 05-05-2009, 07:31 PM

Good to hear, I hope you're right about those Savage mags. I'd love to be able to buy a RELIABLE, mag-fed precision rifle for what these are going to sell for. I know that with most brands that is not possible in this price range, but Savage has always been a trend-breaker when it comes to providing a lot of rifle for the money.

Thanks again for posting the pics.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
Thanks for taking the pics and posting the info on these. Very nice looking rifle. Just last FRiday, I called Savage to see if they'd also be providing these rifles in LH version, as they are with the 10 FLCP-K. But sadly, they're not.

I wonder if we got a bunch of LH rifle shooters to petition Savage and make a special order of LH 10 PC's, maybe they'd do it?
I would be interested if they did. So let me know if you actually get around to talking/emailing somebody that could actually make it happen.

I cant for the life of me understand why 10% of the population is ignored on a regular basis. There are entire companies that cater to minorities smaller than that.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
...Just last FRiday, I called Savage to see if they'd also be providing these rifles in LH version, as they are with the 10 FLCP-K. But sadly, they're not.
Maximus and Mus, you might be interested to know that I have a brand new, LH Precision Carbine in .308 locked up at home right now.

I special-ordered it through Effie Sullivan of the Savage Custom Shop. Took a couple of months, and I paid a bit more for it than an off the rack model in right hand, but it's a done deal.

The only difference besides the action is that the AccuStock is black like some of their other LE rifles. No zoomy digital camo for southpaws (and personally, I could not care less).

Call Savage, ask for Effie, leave her a voicemail if you don't get her the first time, or keep trying.

The rifle you really want is possible.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:56 PM

That's good to know; thanks for posting the info on the LH option through the Savage custom shop. I've talked with Effie before about this possibility, but it's great to hear that someone has actually followed through on it.

So, could you give us a detailed description of.....

1. What do you think of the magazine system? Is the feeding action smooth and reliable? Are the mags strong and well built, compared to other mags? Do they insert easily and firmly into the mag well, and stay put? Can you get 10rd mags anywhere?

2. How accurately does the rifle shoot? What's the recoil and blast like, with the 20" barrel? Since you got the black stock, does that mean that they just took the heavier 10FLCP-K version, and cut down the barrel length for you? Or, did they take the 'medium contour' barrel from the Precision Carbine, and put that on a 10FLCP-K action and stock? Did they put a factory muzzle brake on your barrel?

3. What is your impression of the material the stock is made out of? Does it seem cheap, does it have a nice "grippy" surface, is it hard to keep clean? And what is your impression of the "Accustock" system, does it make a difference? Is it going to be superior in results to a high-end stock that is custom-installed and bedded, like a McMillan?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but I'm really interested in this rifle, and have not seen one locally yet.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:16 AM

The Savage factory mags are well made, very durable and feed smooth and reliable. The bottom metal is made of quality steel. Extended 9 rounds mag are available from Sharp Shooter Supply.

Savage wants $200 above dealer cost to put together a special order rifle. Then the dealer that orders it for you adds his markup. A left hand 10 Precision carbine is going run around $900 and it's still a factory production rifle, not custom.

An extra $200 is high for Savage to do what they normally do, assemble a rifle with standard factory parts. They are making profit on top of profit because they are selling the rifle for more than would get if they sold a standard 10PC to a dealer wholesale supplier.

I say have a real custom Savage rifle built by Sharp Shooter Supply or DIY.

GC
Old 09-27-2009, 07:50 PM

Sorry to ressurect an old thread..but your review was excellent. If I may, could you please tell me the weight of the rifle? I know Savage says 7 lbs ...but I know there are often discrepencies from real world weights.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:13 AM

I've been very impressed with this rifle and am considering making the purchase.

However, I don't know enough about ammunition to decide between .308 and .223

.223 seems cheaper and more common, but I can only imagine the downsides to the .308 especially in this rifle.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-18-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyfirst View Post
I've been very impressed with this rifle and am considering making the purchase.

However, I don't know enough about ammunition to decide between .308 and .223

.223 seems cheaper and more common, but I can only imagine the downsides to the .308 especially in this rifle.

What do you guys think?
Untill we know what you plan to do with the rifle it's REALLY hard to answer that. If you just want to shoot paper and maby a coyote or two then the 223. But if you plan to hunt deer then the 308 is the way to go. The 308 has the edge in long range target shooting as well.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:34 PM

I like it!!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 12:10 AM

I picked one of these up in 223 a while back and have been very impressed with it. Shoots under a MOA (best group to date .344 with Black Hills 75g match). I negatives I have found have been mentioned already and I have only really found 2 - slick stock and no factory 10 round mags. Mine likes to eat 69 and 75g ... 55g don't group as well. Gonna take her on a Prairie Dog Safari this summer ... should be fun.
Equal Opportunity Hater ...
Old 01-18-2011, 04:40 PM

Awesome piece of equipment

Picked up my new PC last week. Love it! Got mine in .223 and put a Nikon Monarch 6-20X40 scope on her. Best group so far less than 1/2 MOA. Swell trigger pull and just feels "right" to shoot. Wanna get one in .308 now.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Old thread but I wish this had a 16/18 barrel!...

There's not enough ammo in the world ....