1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 04-20-2009, 12:17 PM

Replacement sights for RIA 1911

I got me an RIA 1911 Mil-Spec. Great handgun, but I think I'm going to put a different set of sights on it. The GI sights are tiny. I'd like to get a set that didn't require machining of the slide. I understand there are several styles of sight cuts, and I was wondering if anyone knew what the RIA's rear sight cut was, so I can order the right set of sights.

Assuming I have the right sort of cut, I'm liking the looks and price point of the MeproLight tritium sights.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:23 PM

I have an LPA adjustable site that uses the GI cut on the rear of my RIA. Rear sight cut is standard GI.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by automan View Post
I have an LPA adjustable site that uses the GI cut on the rear of my RIA. Rear sight cut is standard GI.
Is 'GI Cut' the same thing as 'Standard cut' or 'Colt cut'?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 PM

Sights that will work

I recently replaced the sights on my RIA GI because the sights were to tiny.
I went with LPA sights as well as the gentlemen above. Everything I found was going to have to be smithed some to fit. LPA has a rear adjustable sight that fits the RIA rear dovetail and also uses the RIA factory Front sight instead of having to replace it also. Just hit it with some white or orange paint and it will pick up good. I choose the "white outline" rear sight. They offer the same sight in the 3 dot and an all black rear sight. I fooled around The most you may have to do is use a handfile to help the rear sight slide in the dovetail easier. I fooled with mine to the point that I broke my rear sight. Uggghh. So I reodered the same sight again but with the front sight also. Had my gunsmith help me put the front sight on. It is a staked in sight so you won't have to mill in a dovetail. Simply knock the current sight out and press in the new sight, hit the end of the sight where its visible in the slide and brat up that stake. It will widen and took hold. We then put some red locktite on it and let it set a day or two. All is well, doing a great job so far and as of yet the front sight hasn't come loose yet. Hope it don't but easy fix if so. Remember LPA sights. By the way, the price for the whole set was only $59.00 dollars. Look them up on the internet. Another company that makes sights specifically for the RIA that works in existing configuration is
"Kings Sights" out of california I think. Run them down also and good luck. Hope this helps some

Bearbuck
Old 04-20-2009, 08:47 PM

Bearbuck,

Good info!

I also want to upgrade the sights on my RIA .38 Super.

MikeyB
Old 04-21-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp81 View Post
Is 'GI Cut' the same thing as 'Standard cut' or 'Colt cut'?
GI cut is standard cut and is what the RIA GI uses.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:58 AM

Can't really tell but I'm guessing King's Hardballer rear dovetail is standard and not the newer series 80 cut?

MikeyB
Old 04-21-2009, 10:53 AM

I have also changed the sights on my r.i.a. used Fusion sights they have alot of different sights to choose from.