1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 04-19-2009, 12:55 PM

Ghost Ring Sights on a Shotgun?

I'm looking into purchasing a Benelli M2 vs M4 vs an FN. I'm used to my Browning Gold with a fiber optic front sight for skeet and duck hunting. It has served me well, so I'm used to the idea of "pointing" a shotgun at a target. I don't have much experience turkey hunting or deer hunting with a shotgun where you have to "aim" it.

The question is do I really need ghost ring sights over rifle style or bead sights in a defensive shotgun? I would be using buck shot worse comes to worse. Thoughts?
Old 04-19-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themao View Post
The question is do I really need ghost ring sights over rifle style or bead sights in a defensive shotgun? I would be using buck shot worse comes to worse. Thoughts?
I don't. At typical shotgun engagement distances (Zero to about 80 feet) my stock sights have always been fine. I do recommend practicing with it occasionally. I just bring mine with me to the range with 3" mags loaded with bird shot (cheaper than buck and it kicks about the same) and blast some targets. It's fun, cheap, usually safe and it could save your life. You don't want to grab your scattergun at 3AM in total darkness (this is more likely than partial light) and forget how to check the chamber or remove the safety...
Old 04-19-2009, 02:58 PM

I have the factory Ghost Rings on my Benelli M1. Not really needed up close, but they are nice for 50 yard shots with slugs. You will find as you use them, you will use them up close as you would pistol sights. I'm a believer in aiming a shotgun.

I guess whether you need them vs bead is up to you. I find that having them is no detriment, and certainly an aide at distance.
NRA Life,USPSA Life,IDPA Member

Last edited by AzDave; 04-22-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:06 AM

ghost ring

I've made hits on flying birds with a ghost-ring equipped airgun. They're incredibly effective. I don't see any down side other than the expense to add them to my 870...
Old 04-22-2009, 09:09 AM

what's a ghost ring?

pic please.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chifus View Post
what's a ghost ring?

pic please.
A search engine is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_sights
Old 04-22-2009, 12:54 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDave View Post
I have the factory Ghost Rings on my Benelli M1. Not really needed up close, but they are nice for 50 yard shots with slugs. You will find as you use them, you will use them up close as you would pistol sights. I'm a believer in aiming a shotgun.

I guess whether you need them vs bead is up to you. I find that having them is no detriment, and certainly an aide at distance.
Ditto. At buckshot distances, it probably doesn't matter much, especially if one is an experienced shotgun pointer. I have little background with birds, of either the clay or feathered persuasion, so opted for sights on my shotgun. I've had to engage steel targets with slugs at over 50 yards, and wouldn't want to have to "point" on a shot like that. I shot a round of skeet with my trench gun, and doubt it was the sights holding me back.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:56 PM

M2 vs M4

I guess I go with the ghost ring sights. I can always take them off if I hate them.

Anyhow, went to Gander Mountain while waiting for take-out here in Indy. Picked up a M2 and compared it to the M4. I'm not totally sold on a pistol grip stock, but that's another topic of conversation. What I do want to talk about is it really worth the extra money and WEIGHT to buy the M4? The M2 feels better balanced to me and is lighter.

At most, I'd put a side-shell carrier on the side or something on the buttstock for more shells. I'd definitely get a magazine extension (US made to comply with 922r). Thoughts?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:49 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by chifus View Post
what's a ghost ring?

pic please.
A "ghost" ring is a large diameter peep sight that is looked through. Because it is large, and close to the eye, you see only a blurry, or ghostly ring near the eye, with the front sight in sharp focus. It is very fast, while still being accurate. I'll see if I can find a shooter's-eye pic.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themao View Post
Picked up a M2 and compared it to the M4. I'm not totally sold on a pistol grip stock, but that's another topic of conversation. What I do want to talk about is it really worth the extra money and WEIGHT to buy the M4? The M2 feels better balanced to me and is lighter.

At most, I'd put a side-shell carrier on the side or something on the buttstock for more shells. I'd definitely get a magazine extension (US made to comply with 922r). Thoughts?
I wouldn't sell my M1 to get an M2, M3, or M4. It's been 100%.

Your question I can't really answer other than offer this. The bottom line seems to be if you are going to hang lights and such on your gun get the M4.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17288
Old 04-27-2009, 01:25 PM

Single bead on a vent. rib has been effective for me for 17 yeas or so shooting dove, clay, deer, with buckshot, birdshot, target loads, slugs....vent rib is great for windage determination and when you've enough experience you know your elevation by <3. Shooting with a single bead is a lot more than just pointing .

That being said, if you don't want to use the ring itself with ghost ring sight configurations, you don't have to pay attention to it! It doesn't really get in the way. It is a good setup, IMHO.

For me, the only sight change I want on my scatter blaster is to go fiber optic up front. My silver bead is getting harder to see in less/low light. If I was buying new, though, and ghost ring was on it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Last edited by rglock35; 04-27-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:44 PM

I have a Mossberg Stainless Marine model 590. It came from the factory with ghost ring sights.

I mounted a flashlight on the barrel... that makes a dandy defensive set up. Squeeze the light activator and see the goast sight "on" the target.
M istake
A merica