1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 04-13-2009, 10:34 PM

Rock River Arms??

thanx for your imput on the Dpms but now I am also considering the Rock River Arms. The end result I would like is a nice rifle with a 16" bull barrel but the rock river seems to only offer them is stainless and bead blasted and I was hoping to put a black one it. Is swapping barrels from different manufactures difficult. I know I seem a little lost and any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:09 AM

Rock River makes a great rifle

If you want it black i'm sure you could send it off to be parkerized(if that is what they do), i think that would be easier then getting a whole new barrel just for looks
Old 04-14-2009, 03:16 AM

Probably refinishing the barrel would be easier. I refinished a handgun frame with Duracoat, although there are other options, some requiring baking the finish and some not (Duracoat does not).

If you want to change the barrel, there is a guide at arfcom (click link and scroll down to "Changing your own AR15 barrel for dummies").

Lee
Old 04-14-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdguy90 View Post
rock river makes a great rifle
+1
Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 AM

LOVE my RRA A4/M3....just a well put together rifle...you wont be disappointed!
NRA Life Member
Old 04-15-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg745 View Post
thanx for your imput on the Dpms but now I am also considering the Rock River Arms. The end result I would like is a nice rifle with a 16" bull barrel but the rock river seems to only offer them is stainless and bead blasted and I was hoping to put a black one it. Is swapping barrels from different manufactures difficult. I know I seem a little lost and any and all help is greatly appreciated.
The easiest option is to just call RRA and ASK what they can do. Chances are they can fix you up with what you want.

If not, best not to buy a new rifle knowing you're going to have to change the barrel out. Best to buy one set up like you want from the factory.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Banned

I have a RR upper on my AR and it runs great. That said, I BELIEVE the buffer tube is not milspec on the RRA guns, so if you ever want to change the stock to something else (half the fun is buying toys for your gun, no?) it won't fit the after market stuff.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:35 AM

Yeap, RRA is a great rifle. Stormin'N is correct that the buffer tube is commercial size not mil-spec, so plan accordingly when ordering accessories.

Si vis pacem, para bellum